Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Webasto Fuel Burning Heater

Telestart to a D3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
hotshot

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Telestart to a D3?

I know this one goes round and round but for some reason I just can't get my head around it!

Have I got this right:

Mine's a 2007 D3 HSE, can I get a telestart t91 and a 1533 timer and between them it'll all plug and play (I guess the timer's output is w-bus)? Anything else I need?

If that's right, does the t91 have to be for a landrover? There's loads for sale and I'm not particularly bothered if the remote says SEAT, VW, ROVER or fking LIDL on it as long as it works Wink

Post #210069119th Nov 2019 1:55 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The D3 Webasto doesn't respond to the Telestart commands Sad
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #210070619th Nov 2019 3:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What Martin says is true, so it won’t work with a W-bus telestart by default. BUT the commands from a 1533 timer are slightly different and the D3 FBH responds to the W-bus commands of the 1533 timer.

There is no really cheap plug&play option to make it work with a remote.
Webasto thermocall will work plug &play as will Altox and few other brands for sale with site sponsors I did see/read.

You can also adapt a 1533 timer (soldering inside the 1533 timer involved) To start with a universal remote to produce/make your own “telestart” Because as the 1533 timer starts up, the W-bus signal from the timer will start your FBH.. that is cheap but you have to do some research and soldering work..

car specific “Branded” webasto products (VW, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.) will almost never work on other webasto products than the brand on the product... CAN signal/commands is/are brand specific...
Tried almost everything back in the day, when I had a parking heater company..

Regarding “universal” Webasto telestart, you can Find them (but not all!) with both W-bus AND a analog in and output... in theory (but since it is a long time ago (10 years) we did these experiments I am not 100% sure anymore if it works that way around) if you use such a remote (t70, T80 or T90) and do NOT connect the W-bus port between the telestart and the 1533 timer but only the W-bus signal FROM the timer to the FBH and and start it, it will also start the 1533 timer, who produces the correct W-bus signal to start your FBH... I will test it myself in the near future when I find the time after my holiday next week..but it can take a while, sorry...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #210079120th Nov 2019 12:22 am
hotshot

Thankyou both for your help Thumbs Up

I'm more than capable of doing a bit of soldering, and have the very useful resource that I call "dad" who happened to be an electronics lecturer at various colleges and universities when he was working Mr. Green

BUT

By the time I've payed for a telestart and a timer, it's not far off the price of a thermocall Confused so, I'm tempted to go that route instead - especially if I can find a bargain somewhere.

Which brings new questions; do I need a landrover specific one? And, is it literally a case of; the plug's already in the boot (or wherever), it's literally just plug it in (and maybe iid to code it in?) or do I need to make a little loom up to go from thermocall to fbh?

Post #210197526th Nov 2019 1:55 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

On a D3 you will need to make a loom up as there's no Telestart socket unlike a D4.

Can help with wiring parts: https://www.disco3.co.uk/shop/webasto-diag...s-c15.html

The Thermo Call works with a D3, confirmed on here: https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/webasto-tc3...mo+call+d3

Post #210198326th Nov 2019 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Motolab

Here is a english translation of the official webasto workshop (German) manual for fitting the telecall to your D3
AND how to wiring up the internal blowers of a D3.( To get a full parking heater instead of only a engine heater..) With a webasto IPCU wich can be bought, programmed specific for your motor, for less than €55 in Germany I find on the German https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/ I did saw for 2 weeks back... that is cheaper than an aftermarket device (this is an example the IPCU when I look there for: webasto IPCU) https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeig...-223-19813 , even bought brand new incl. VAT did find them in the netherlands on a website for around € 80 I recall)

(I have no relation or personal interest in this, but did 10 years back have a company in FBH’s (ended 10 years ago) so I have some knowledge and as I own a D3 myself, I am in the proces of installing this kit in a few weeks from now Wink

I told Martin allready about this manual, but is did not end up in the wiki until this date..

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...motopv.pdf[/url]
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #210199626th Nov 2019 4:41 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

Please do add it yourself to the wiki, it's there for all to edit Thumbs Up

Post #210199926th Nov 2019 4:58 pm
Motolab

Ah! Ok! Did not know that was possible!

Will do ASAP!
 Best regards
Harold

Post #210200026th Nov 2019 5:01 pm
Motolab

@martin; maybe you can make the wiring loom with the connectors and put it in the shop?

Just a idea Wink
 Best regards
Harold

Post #210200126th Nov 2019 5:12 pm
hotshot

Wow - thankyou very much for the response!

So, I need the ipcu ideally

Does the timer have to be used or is it optional? i.e. can I use just the thermocall /just the timer or does it have to be both? Or, can be just the timer but if I want the thermocall, I have to use both?

Post #210200226th Nov 2019 5:26 pm
Motolab

Webasto IPCU or altox IPCU for the inside/interior

1533 timer for easy programmed starting (every day use for leaving at the very same time to work for instance)
Webasto telecall or altox remote (or other alternative) for remote start......

You can use timer and remote together or alone.... your choice...

But keep in mind, without a IPCU and wiring, only your engine will be warm, not your interior..
 Best regards
Harold

Post #210200526th Nov 2019 5:52 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

If you want a cheap remote heater and can connect things up,
have a look at this for about £55

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/fbh-remote-start-55-t-177935.html

couple of us made them last year

Post #210201026th Nov 2019 6:16 pm
Motolab

Yes, you can, but again: “ But keep in mind, without a IPCU and wiring, only your engine will be warm, not your interior..”

Just warming a part of your engine, makes in these parts of Europe no sence...imho...

The oil is still cold, as the cooling fluid runs almost only through the cilinderheads.. just a little but around the cilinders but certainly not around the oil pan ...
 Best regards
Harold

Post #210202926th Nov 2019 8:50 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

I don’t think any engine block heaters, heat the oil ?

Post #210203526th Nov 2019 9:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >