Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

TELWIN Doctor Charge 50 Battery Charger - anyone got one?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
TELWIN Doctor Charge 50 Battery Charger - anyone got one?

Hello,
Looking at this item as it offers a 12 volt supply up to 40A so ideal for a battery support unit as well as an 8 stage charger with some other smart features.
Anyone used one or have any feedback on them - they seem pretty good for the money.

Cheers.
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #21993335th Jan 2021 4:18 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Seems like a very expensive “solution” to me....

For “maintenance” Also very overdone imho... 40A is rather extreme for a car battery...

I have a Noco Genius 10 since 3 months... 10 = for 10A. Charges both my D3 battery’s (starter and auxiliary) within a very short time if needed... not cheap eather but still more than 100 quid cheaper than what i can find on the Telwin 50...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21993965th Jan 2021 7:01 pm
RATA1

For the charger function only - yes.

I have a CTEK which I use to top the battery up and that is fine for that - just like your NOCO - for less money than this.

However the main purpose of the device is the the 40A Battery Support function not the charger (unless you don't have one).

Your Noco or my CTEK can't supply that sort of current at a fixed voltage which is important for succesful flashes of firmware or prolonged CCF edits or other fiddling where you cannot run the engine and need a clean DC supply.

There are CTEK's that suppy 25A as BSU's but they are similar money to this. Want any more current and it rapidly increases in ££.

That was my question really - as a BSU - it looks good value if they are any good which was what I was asking not how it compared to a charger as the manufacturer is not that well known.

Cheers.
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #21994065th Jan 2021 7:24 pm
Motolab

Ok mate, just wanted to help....

For support with flashing i use the Noco GB40. That is a support/start unit... Still Less then 100 quid..

But there is also a GB50 or GB70 when you think you need it..

flashed my engine, gearbox, etc. Etc. ECU with it... Thumbs Up
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21994345th Jan 2021 9:20 pm
RATA1

Thumbs Up
I have a GB150 but I wouldn't use that for flashing support. It isn't what it is designed to do. I think you would be better off using your Noco 10 in supply mode.
I potentially have a BCM flash coming up so only want to do it once and I am not that lucky.

Regarding the manufacturer Telwin, I think they mainly do welders and plasma cutters from what I can find out and by the looks of it more in Europe than the UK. Just wondered what people's experience of them was as the electrics on my Ducati were a bit suspect as my rectifier caught fire on the motorway several years ago and other than a lot of smoke - no forward motion! Shocked

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #21994405th Jan 2021 9:32 pm
Motolab

Thumbs Up

If you have both a good charger, AND a Noco GB....
imho, you have everything to stay safe in case of a flash....

We do motorcycles for a living, remapped more than hundred, we used to tune saabs, reflashed quite a few too, reflashed the D3 too with support of the Noco GB...

I think you do not have to worry or spend money on the unit in the title...

Unless you like to own fancy tools Wink
 Best regards
Harold

Post #21994575th Jan 2021 10:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >