Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

temperature gauge help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ratking

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
temperature gauge help

hi people, could you help ive got a 54 plate 90k v6 with a temp problem, the coolant level warning came on and 2 weeks later i had to top it up by half a litre after the temp went up to thr red. the next day the guage which only ever shows at the bottom of cold went up tp the red so i then ran the engine for 20 mins with lid of coolant bottle and heater on full heat and blast , the water in the bottle heated up but not much air if any came out.Since then on a 70 mile journey i had to stop 5 times when it went into the red, what i have found is that if i just turn the engine off and restart the temp goes and for quite a whils stays on the bottom of cold . any help please as i am going back on that 70 mile trip on friday and dont want to blow the engine , cheers.

Post #56593716th Dec 2009 1:20 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

Hi there,

Sounds similar to a regular problem with the water bottle level sensor i think.

Search the site as there is alot on here about this problem

Also check with your dealer your vehicle had the recall work done on this item.

Welcome to the site too!

Cheers.
Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #56594216th Dec 2009 1:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

It sounds very similar to what I am experiencing, gauge is normally just on scale and just occasionally it goes straight up to the red at the top but will reset as soon as you restart, haven't taken it to the dealers yet as it is just occasionally and not all the time. I was thinking about the sensor, can anyone tell me where it is. TFC also mentioned previously about the engine earth, but where I need to look for that I don't have a clue. I find it hard to believe it is anything to do with the level sensor, although the D3 does come up with some impressive faults at times.

Post #56597716th Dec 2009 2:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ratking

the earth was just mentioned funnily enough could this all be related as on saturday when i got in car the radio had lost its memory , if it could be an earth is it accesible by a mortal.

Post #56598316th Dec 2009 3:08 pm
ratking

Dave T wrote:
It sounds very similar to what I am experiencing, gauge is normally just on scale and just occasionally it goes straight up to the red at the top but will reset as soon as you restart, haven't taken it to the dealers yet as it is just occasionally and not all the time. I was thinking about the sensor, can anyone tell me where it is. TFC also mentioned previously about the engine earth, but where I need to look for that I don't have a clue. I find it hard to believe it is anything to do with the level sensor, although the D3 does come up with some impressive faults at times.
other than the engine management reducing power do u think there would really be any chance of any damage to the engine or turbo , also when i bled the system in the old fashioned way i got no air out , does any one know if there is another bleed valve any where.  
Post #56598516th Dec 2009 3:24 pm
ratking

Well, just done another 70 mile trip , it was ok for the first 30 mins, then the light came on . The strange thing is that it then came on every 15 minutes on the dot for the rest of the journey , anybody have any ideas why that should happen. On the trip back it didnt come on once the only thing that has happened within the last 2 days is that the one touch on the drivers door doesnt one touch . Could the car be possessed, any help greatfully recieved. Just been out for a short trip and the one touch is now working, mmmmmm??

Post #57184130th Dec 2009 8:16 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you are actually loosing coolant rather than it just being a false reading due to the float issue, it could be the EGR cooler(s)? Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #57206231st Dec 2009 2:23 am
ratking

no coolant is fine

Post #57211131st Dec 2009 10:50 am
ratking

update i had the temperature sensor replaced and it now registers normal temperature and doesnt move to the red .

Post #58332217th Jan 2010 4:38 pm
Dave T

England 

Ratking, was it done by a dealer, how much did they charge you for that, mine is in tomorrow to hopefully get sorted.

Post #58389618th Jan 2010 2:08 pm
ratking

hi, it was my local garage , part cost £13 and not sure what he charged me cos he did other bits but he did say it was a very quick job to do.

Post #58396518th Jan 2010 3:56 pm
Dave T

England 

Finally found the problem with my temperature gauge today (just a few days after the dealer tried saying it was ok) took out the old temperature sensor (in bits as in the photo), and it was immediately obvious what the problem was. The inner wire was broken so must have been shorting on the casing giving my intermitant full scale problems

So 10 minutes later and less than a tenner spent with TLO Thumbs Up and its all working again fine now.

And the dealers expect us to have faith in them!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

This really is a DIY job for even the least mechanically minded person, it literally turns through 90 degrees and pulls out. Further photos in my gallery showing location in the coolant system.

Post #59343430th Jan 2010 3:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >