Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Terrain Response
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
lr3maybe

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
Terrain Response

After getting stuck in deep snow, then getting out in sand mode after forgetting about the DSC switch on the dash, I created the following table of Terrain Mode Settings, their use, and what they do. There are a couple items missing. Anybody know the answers for certain? Missing are the affects on throttle response and Dynamic Stability Control/Traction Control in the Mud and Ruts Mode, and the Differential Lock Setting and Suspension Height in the Sand Mode (these last two could be observed by watching the differential actuator and truck height but I haven't crawled under yet). when I asked LR these questions I was told it was proprietary. I printed this info into a little table on a card I can keep in the console for the next time I get stuck. Anybody got anything to add? Any mistakes?

Mode: Grass/Gravel/Snow
Use For: Firm Base, Slippery Coating of Water, Slime, Grass, Snow, Loose Gravel, Pebbles, Thin Sand
Throttle Response: Slow
Transmission/Transfer Case: Upshifs Early, Starts in H2 or L3
Differentials: Locked
DSC: Aggressive Control Limits Slip, Turn off DSC to enable wheel slip if stuck or wheels sink in.
Suspension: Normal

Mode: Mud and Ruts
Use For: Muddy or Deep Ruts, Soft & Uneven Ground, Roots & Logs, for Maximum Articulation
Throttle Response: NO INFO Question
Transmission/Transfer Case: Upshifts Early, Low Range Recommended
Differentials: Partial Locked
DSC: NO INFO Question Should we turn off DSC to enable wheel slip if stuck or wheels sink in Question .
Suspension: Raised in Low Range

Mode: Sand
Use For: Soft Dry Yielding Sandy Ground, Deep Gravel
Throttle Response: Fast
Transmission/Transfer Case: Downshifts Early
Differentials: NO INFO Question
DSC: Reduced Control Allows Slip,Turn off DSC to enable wheel slip if stuck or wheels sink in
Suspension: NO INFO Question

Mode: Rock Crawl
Use For: Wet or Dry Solid, Unyielding Ground, Boulders, River Beds w/ Large Rocks
Throttle Response: Slow
Transmission/Transfer Case: Low Range Required, Starts in L1
Differentials: Locked
DSC: Aggressive Control Limits Slip
Suspension: Raised

Last edited by lr3maybe on 4th Apr 2007 2:22 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #1456404th Apr 2007 1:10 pm
300+

Good stuff. What is your source, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, you should probably separate out the actions of traction control (good) and DSC (power sapping nanny state product).

Steve

Post #1456434th Apr 2007 1:37 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

There's an article in one of last month's LR magazines where they interview the chap from LR who designed the system.... there is table that details all of the TR settings and what they do and how they do it...maybe someone could quote that Whistle
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #1456454th Apr 2007 1:59 pm
lr3maybe

The source was careful reading of the owners manual and a page I had copied that had some additional info on the settings but I don't know where it came from. It appears to be part of some LR advertisement or marketing materials. I'm sure I found it somewhere on a link from one of the forums.

I'm not sure how to separate out the DSC and Traction Control. We are only able to manually turn off the DSC and I thought this was our control over the Traction Control.

I don't have the LR magazine with that interview. Can someone look to see if it answers any of these settings questions?

Post #1456504th Apr 2007 2:19 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Does this PDF help?, lr3maybe?

Original source of document unknown, but it has the word LR3 (instead of D3) so I am assuming that it was for the left hand drive markets.

Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #1457725th Apr 2007 12:53 am
lr3maybe

That's the other document I used. Don't know where it came from. Still have those few things missing though.
Thanks.

Post #1459005th Apr 2007 12:43 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Quote:
Mode: Mud and Ruts
DSC: NO INFO Should we turn off DSC to enable wheel slip if stuck or wheels sink in .

I've not done scientific research but in thick mud it does seem to help to turn DSC off. Also seems it goes a bit better in L2. I stand to be corrected though Whistle

By default suspension is normal in sand mode it seems.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #1459435th Apr 2007 2:43 pm
lr3maybe

Thanks for that info.
I think we could figure out the locking differential setting if we observed the actuator on either the rear locking one (if you had it) or the center one in rock crawl where we know it locks vs. normal where we know it doesn't lock vs. sand which we don't know.

Post #1459605th Apr 2007 3:13 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The locking differentials are progressive not 'lock' or 'unlocked', TR adjusts the threshold at which they come in. The locked padlock symbol on the 4x4 info screen indicates a state of locking above the threshold for each mode, not necassarily fully locked. LR will not release the TR 'maps' as these are a commercially competitive advantage

Post #1459675th Apr 2007 3:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JamesWyatt

United States 2006 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

So what do you do when you're in a situation like I was last weekend? I was attempting a very steep hill with soaking wet sand and East Texas red dirt (they had a deluge during the night). I put it in Rock Crawl because I wanted the center diff fully locked, but I needed the momentum/power from Sand Mode. There doesn't seem to be an ideal setting for going up steep, bumpy hills covered with sand & muck. Obviously I didn't make it in Rock Crawl mode. DSC was off and I was still fighting the computer for power. The mrs. was spooked from the event, so I obligingly backed down the hill and took the bypass. I'm assuming I should have left it in Mud & Ruts, but I hate having only partial lock. I can't see any advantage to Mud/Ruts only having a partially locked center diff. What am I missing here?

I wish LR had installed a manual override to fully lock the center diff. Oh, the pains of technology. Obviously I need more practice with the Idiot Dial(TM).

Post #1460275th Apr 2007 7:33 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

the diff(s) will fully lock when needed, the key thing to remember is that locking differentials are there to maintain traction, TC is there to regain it, if you lose traction, it's either due to a lack of momentum in the first place, lack of grip due to the type of tyre or tyre pressure, or reading the terrain inaccurately resulting in choosing the wrong line to traverse... of course, in some circumstances, gravity and friction (or lack of it) will always win over power, electronics and driver skill Wink
Withdrawing and taking the easier (safer) route is always the better option compared to letting the testostorone take over Thumbs Up

Post #1460285th Apr 2007 7:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

What about a little bit of snow and mud with a spoon full of sand followed buy rain and sleet then some freezing fog, FFS what do you expect from these vehicles.

WHY DON'T YOU USE YOUR OWN INTUITION Banging Head Banging Head Banging Head
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #1460905th Apr 2007 10:33 pm
300+

JamesWyatt wrote:
I wish LR had installed a manual override to fully lock the center diff. Oh, the pains of technology. Obviously I need more practice with the Idiot Dial(TM).

I always assume that the modes control how aggressive things are, but 100% of whatever the control is will be available sooner or later.

The modes with low throttle response mean you need to boot it for full power. The idea is that a bump in the track which causes your foot to move doesn't launch you. Boot on carpet and manual gear changes will over-ride this.

Sand has the TC backed off to allow some wheel spin, but if there is a huge difference in wheel speed it will engage and limit things.

If the diffs start out unlocked, they will enter a locking mode when they need to. Modes like rock crawl will mean they are there to start with.

For your hill it sounds like a little wheel spin would have helped maintain momentum. I'd have given it a go in sand with DSC off.

Cheers, Steve

Post #1461046th Apr 2007 12:49 am
JamesWyatt

Thanks, all. Like I said, I just need some practice. I was just getting used to driving my D2. I'm hoping that the system will prove more capable for me once I learn how to drive correctly. And yes, I do need tires. It was not a very good situation for street tires with such a heavy vehicle.

Post #1461116th Apr 2007 3:17 am
JamesWyatt

And probably the biggest thing is to go and learn the vehicle by myself without a nervous passenger. Wink

Post #1461126th Apr 2007 3:18 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >