Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Terrain Response - what does it actually do
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Terrain Response - what does it actually do

Terrain response is a very clever tool, even to the die hard "mechanical traction" fans like myself. However I don't understand precisely what twiddling that knob actually does. I know it adjusts the settings of a number of features (such as suspension, throttle, ABS) but I would like to know precisely what it does to each system (and whether it differs in a manual and auto vehicle). Does anyone have details of the precise changes each setting creates ?
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #2859520th Nov 2005 2:27 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

come on you lot i would like to see some answers to this question some one start the ball rolling, go on BN put us out of our misery,

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2861520th Nov 2005 8:57 pm
BN

England 

shawn wrote:
come on you lot i would like to see some answers to this question some one start the ball rolling, go on BN put us out of our misery,

shawn

Traction control is a system that if in the event of a misinterpreted bend for instance for instance it decides for you which wheel to lock or unlock to give you the best chance of getting out of the problem.

Post #2862020th Nov 2005 9:15 pm
shawn

yes i know about traction control BN but what does the terrain response do differently in each setting and how does it work

shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #2862220th Nov 2005 9:31 pm
BN

England 

shawn wrote:
yes i know about traction control BN but what does the terrain response do differently in each setting and how does it work

shawn

Terrain response is a system that remaps the engine management and links in the suspension, HDC etc. You will get a very good demo on the 4th by theway.

Post #2862320th Nov 2005 9:49 pm
shawn

BN

i wish i was but if you remember i had to cancell and you said you never wanted christmas pud all over your seats Laughing

cheers shawn
Post #2862520th Nov 2005 9:53 pm
BN

England 

shawn wrote:
BN

i wish i was but if you remember i had to cancell and you said you never wanted christmas pud all over your seats Laughing

cheers shawn

Sorry shawn, fighting a trojan virus on the main computer, so sorry if answers are a bit shorton the laptop.

Post #2862620th Nov 2005 9:55 pm
shawn

BN wrote:
shawn wrote:
BN

cheers shawn

Sorry shawn, fighting a trojan virus on the main computer, so sorry if answers are a bit shorton the laptop.

no worries BN i will await your full desription when you are back running on all 6 cylinders Laughing

shawn
Post #2862720th Nov 2005 9:57 pm
BN

England 

shawn wrote:
BN wrote:
shawn wrote:
BN

cheers shawn

no worries BN i will await your full desription when you are back running on all 6 cylinders Laughing

shawn

Will do,no anything about viruses?

Post #2862820th Nov 2005 9:59 pm
shawn

BN wrote:
shawn wrote:
BN wrote:
shawn wrote:
BN

cheers shawn

shawn

shawn

sorry mate just about type with one finger but someone will know so come on you lot give BN a hand

shawn
Post #2862920th Nov 2005 10:02 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I dont know the figures behind the scenes, but in a nutshell these are the effects. I have used all of them except sand,

GRASS GRAVEL SNOW selects mild HDC, easies the throttle response a bit, makes the auto set off in higher gear. It does not alter the suspension.

SAND makes the throttle aggresive, is also makes the hdc LESS effective, all about keeping forward motion as fast as possible,

MUD & RUTS raises the suspension if you select low range, is softens the throttle response a bit, and turns on moderate HDC. It also allows the suspension much more articulation than on road. (something to do with opening the crosslink valves I think)

ROCK CRAWL only works in low range. It makes the throttle very soft indeed, and makes the HDC very aggresive and raises the suspension and opens the cross link valves.

Post #2863320th Nov 2005 10:30 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Guys,

There are good demo's and text on the LR site re Terrain Response... but here's an attempt until an expert chips in... the main points anyway. Feel free to correct me though Wink

Essentially it optimises the traction control, throttle response, ride height, Hill descent, braking, diffs (central and rear if fitted) etc.

In Grass Gravel Snow :

Delays throttle response to avoid spinning wheels (try it and you can tell by the reduction in power feeling you get when pressing the go pedal), sets up the diffs to cut in sooner, ABS / TC / DSC etc comes in more quickly and is more ready to react and try to cancel a slide / skid etc.

Message Centre also makes recommendations too like starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear to avoid wheel spin.

Mud & Ruts :

Sets up ride height, diffs again to the appropriate setting (can't remember if open or closed - maybe half way ??), and the other systems to react to the muddy conditions...

Sand :

Holds the revs to allow engine overrun so you don't loose power when changing gear. Again sets up electronic systems to best cope with the soft sand.

Rock Crawl :

Reduced throttle response (like Grass Gravel Snow) to avoid the D3 jerking, locks all diffs.

Essentially makes the D3 act like someone has set it up correctly and shields the driver from common mistakes like applying too much power or letting the revs drops. Safety systems optimised to avoid loosing power / traction or both depending on the road surface and behaviour of the driver and car.

Check out the video on the LR site. They show the system working. The US site seems to have far more of these by the way.

Hope this helps,

-s

Post #2863420th Nov 2005 10:31 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

BN wrote:

Brian, you could look (and post on joining) here.

If you have a particularly insidious one, you may end up having to do a re-install. I'm surprised Simon didn't take the opportunity to suggest a switch to the fruit-flavoured system...
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2865920th Nov 2005 11:39 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DrLex wrote:
BN wrote:

Brian, you could look (and post on joining) here.

If you have a particularly insidious one, you may end up having to do a re-install. I'm surprised Simon didn't take the opportunity to suggest a switch to the fruit-flavoured system...

Well... I have said enough times that I have not suffered from a single virus , spyware or need to re-install my Operating System for over 5 years ! Last time was when I got a new PowerBook 2 years ago so that don't count as it was a new install.

I only ever do a restart when an installer needs it... just put it to sleep and it instantly - and yes I mean immediately - wakes up for use.

Oh the joys of OS X and the Mac.

There ya go Lex... and thanks for the oppo to pipe up - back to sleep now until the next time I need to make a point about computers that just work Smile

ahhhh

Post #2867020th Nov 2005 11:53 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

simon wrote:
Guys,

There are good demo's and text on the LR site re Terrain Response... but here's an attempt until an expert chips in... the main points anyway. Feel free to correct me though Wink

Essentially it optimises the traction control, throttle response, ride height, Hill descent, braking, diffs (central and rear if fitted) etc.

In Grass Gravel Snow :

Delays throttle response to avoid spinning wheels (try it and you can tell by the reduction in power feeling you get when pressing the go pedal), sets up the diffs to cut in sooner, ABS / TC / DSC etc comes in more quickly and is more ready to react and try to cancel a slide / skid etc.

Message Centre also makes recommendations too like starting off in 2nd or 3rd gear to avoid wheel spin.

Mud & Ruts :

Sets up ride height, diffs again to the appropriate setting (can't remember if open or closed - maybe half way ??), and the other systems to react to the muddy conditions...

Sand :

Holds the revs to allow engine overrun so you don't loose power when changing gear. Again sets up electronic systems to best cope with the soft sand.

Rock Crawl :

Reduced throttle response (like Grass Gravel Snow) to avoid the D3 jerking, locks all diffs.

Essentially makes the D3 act like someone has set it up correctly and shields the driver from common mistakes like applying too much power or letting the revs drops. Safety systems optimised to avoid loosing power / traction or both depending on the road surface and behaviour of the driver and car.

Check out the video on the LR site. They show the system working. The US site seems to have far more of these by the way.

Hope this helps,

-s
nice bit of prolonged typing there.... accurate too Wink obviously no distractions currently.... Sheep  
Post #2867320th Nov 2005 11:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >