Page 9 of 30 <123 ... 8910 ... 282930>
supersiecosse

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

^^ My thoughts exactly. Thumbs Up

Very dissapointing all the same..... Big Cry

Post #217644727th Sep 2020 7:09 pm
dgarside

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Quick video I’ve done to show the new PX6 unit. It has the Nova launcher installed, so not the standard homepage. I’ve changed the navigation icon to link to Waze, music to link to Spotify and video to link to YouTube.

You’ll see the CarPlay wireless kick in which I’m going to try and turn off so I open it up manually.

Video quality is great on this screen and responsiveness after its booted fully (you’ll see a few slow responses initially) is really good as well.

GPS connection (cables tomorrow) and audio speaker (front/rear) problem aside I am loving this unit and once I’ve got it setup and the homepage sorted out fully, it will be a fantastic replacement and upgrade.

One item I’m still mixed on is whether to use hotspot on phone or get a separate USB with SIM card for car. At the moment if you use the phone hotspot you have to connect it manually every time.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Spare Wheel Protector
RLD Sump Protector
ProSpeed Compressor Cover
TPMS Retrofit
Range Rover Digital Dash Upgrade
Tesla Style Android Screen Upgrade 

Post #217649727th Sep 2020 9:59 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Apologies if this was covered earlier but how does it interface with the existing audio system? via a loom and through aux? The specs don’t say anything about optical.

Post #217650227th Sep 2020 10:13 pm
dgarside

It links through both the aux socket in rear and also by removing the original LCD screen from the main board (rear of LCD screen) and mounting it to the rear off the new Android screen. Sounds complicated but was a piece of cake and done in a couple of minutes for my 2012 D4.

The bottom half of this unit above, linked to new unit by a single ribbon cable and push down clamp.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Sump Protector
TPMS Retrofit

Post #217650627th Sep 2020 10:17 pm
dgarside

It also has a basic loom which allows original cables to plug into LR board and also into the Android screen where required.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Sump Protector
TPMS Retrofit

Post #217650827th Sep 2020 10:19 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Cool, thanks! Thumbs Up

Post #217650927th Sep 2020 10:23 pm
dgarside

For those that wondering where I got this from, this is the new link they have created -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001506...4ebcMFih8d

If you mention my name and/or WhatsApp the sales manager (Eno - 0086 132 6718 4122) you may beable to get a bit of discount.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Sump Protector
TPMS Retrofit

Post #217654428th Sep 2020 9:32 am
dgarside

supersiecosse wrote:
^^

^^ From the discussion with the Seller "carxtruck" they told me the 'Capacitive' screen I had in my 2014 HSE D4 was not something that would work with their setup....(though their Adv. would suggest otherwise).

They only covered Resitive screen protocols apparently?

I did get a full and immediate refund thankfully. But I am sure they changed their mind about the £600 offer they accepted originally.

Link is here;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Din-Android-Ca...4902.l9144

BTW my 2012 was a resistive screen, which they checked prior to delivery.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Sump Protector
TPMS Retrofit

Post #217655728th Sep 2020 11:32 am
dgarside

For future reference for doing this upgrade here is a couple of video links for removing the centre dash and screen.

Lower Console - - similar for later D4's without the gear knob removal.

Centre Console Part 1 -

Centre Console Part 2 -

These should help with most of the disassembly/assembly, you don't need to remove CD just the screen Wink

Any questions, let me know, I've had this dash apart quite a few times now.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Sump Protector
TPMS Retrofit

Post #217661228th Sep 2020 4:15 pm
dgarside

This is the USB 2 Port Extension I used to replace one of the accessory sockets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078SSHZ67/ref...CFb4QPXHBD

Worked a treat once I got the lighter socket out, I used the right hand one for the USB, it had space underneath (just) to fit the plastic nut to hold in the socket.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Sump Protector
TPMS Retrofit

Post #217662128th Sep 2020 4:30 pm
thisandy

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

dgarside wrote:
It links through both the aux socket in rear and also by removing the original LCD screen from the main board (rear of LCD screen) and mounting it to the rear off the new Android screen. Sounds complicated but was a piece of cake and done in a couple of minutes for my 2012 D4.

The bottom half of this unit above, linked to new unit by a single ribbon cable and push down clamp.

My installation linked with two ribbon cables as in the photo below which would seem to suggest that there is a difference.

Post #217662628th Sep 2020 5:16 pm
dgarside

Yes 100% I have a detailed document from my supplier for this type of unit and shows different connection to 2012 model I have. I have just one ribbon cable.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Sump Protector
TPMS Retrofit

Post #217663328th Sep 2020 5:38 pm
dgarside

The audio issue isn’t a problem but a limitation of the piggyback system on the original landrover control board. The fader/balance needs to be controlled from there rather than the Android system or at least does for my Harmon Karden system.

Update - firmware/software update expected to resolve this in the future.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Sump Protector
TPMS Retrofit

Post #217682229th Sep 2020 1:15 pm
dgarside

Have just finished the final wiring tidy up and got to say happy with with the unit and especially the suggestion by Andy to join the GPS aerial into the Land Rover system...... Nice One Andy

Just thought I’d give you the run down on the process I took from beginning to end, although apologies as I didn’t take pictures.

Unit I used was from AliExpress and purchased through Yanav store. Their communication was good although as this unit was still in development (PX6 faster processor) it took a good while to get shipped. I have listed previously the contact details for Eno (sales manager) at Yanav, and please feel free to mention my name (Darren).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001506...4ebcMFih8d

The Tesla Style Android unit I bought was the 4Gb x 64Gb unit, and even with a few apps and photos/backgrounds, I’ve used a third of that 64Gb space all ready. I would therefore suggest if you want to have sufficient space for lots of apps, cache space for music/videos etc, go for the 64Gb version if you can.

Unit arrived very well packaged and all cables where visually of good quality and no problems during installation etc.

Unit comes shipped with a couple of loom cables, a couple of USB cables, a 3.5mm aux cable, a speaker unit and a GPS aerial as well (MY 2012 unit).
Optional purchase of cables to link the GPS into the LR system (highly recommended) and also mounting of the USB ports to the accessory port instead of 12v point. I used the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0777H9YVH/ref...EFbKMJVJWJ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077GSNNRH/ref...EFbMBCDRJN

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078SSHZ67/ref...EFbM2QKZSD

Surprisingly the amount of cables and obviousness of the installation was a nice surprise for my age unit. I believe this is slightly different for the pre 2012 units which have the earlier media/touchscreen unit.

Steps:

First thing you need to do is remove the centre console where the gear selector is - follow the YouTube link below

For people with the rotary gear selector you have nothing special to do, just remove the two screws below the cup holder and then pull up the centre console nearest the rear/storage cupboard. Careful with the cables underneath, but you don’t have to remove them to complete the installation.

Second follow the next couple of videos to remove the dashboard around the touchscreen

You will need to keep the 4 spring clips from the old audio controls panel for the new trim supplied with the Android screen.

Once you have the touchscreen out its best to take it inside with the new Android screen and do the removal of the lower part of the original LR touchscreen and connection to the new Android screen. It seems there are two methods of connection, one for the older screens (pre 2012) and one easier method for 2012 onwards. The later method is super simple and requires 4 screws to split the LR touchscreen, unclip the single ribbon cable (really obvious) from LR screen and then connect in exactly same way to Android unit.
The older style unit requires a bit more work and more disassembly of the LR unit, but I do have a document with pictures describing it should anybody want it sending. I also have a video of this complete procedure which again I can send over as well, just too big for the forum.

The first job I would do is route the cable for the aux audio connection from the rear 3.5mm socket (the one which is under the flap in the centre console in the rear passenger area). I managed to route it down from the top of the dashboard opening, down the left hand side (nice big space to drop it down) and then pushed under the bottom of the centre console right through to the rear. You may want to run internally in the centre console to get a cleaner installation, but I may do this later.

Next I would fit the cable loom to the LR cables, mount the speaker and if you do intend to use the LR GPS aerial you will need to remove the lower CD player unit, which requires about 8 further screws to be removed. There are 3 on the left side, 3 on the right side and two hidden at the bottom. The lower section is also held in (on 2012 at least) with a couple of spring clips which needed a good pull on mine. You just need enough space behind to get to the blue plug on the left side. You then fit the Amazon adapter cable, plug original LR GPS into the adapter and then add the SMA to SMB to the adapter as well.
I mounted the Android speaker on the back top left of the area where the screen used to be, there is a nice flat plastic area.

The new wiring loom is very obvious how it goes together and doesn’t really need much explanation.

For the USB (if you use the Amazon extensions) I routed the cables again down the left side into the big space available and cable tied nicely before routing further down to centre console.

For the two gold connectors on the top of the Android screen the left one is for the WIFI aerial and the right one is for the GPS connection (either to the LR converter cables or using the supplied GPS aerial).

Once you’ve got everything connected the new screen simply pushes under the dashboard top and then secures in with a couple of clips at the bottom. These are quite delicate, so be very careful pushing and removing. The screen then fixes with two of the original screen screws on the top left and top right.

Before you re-assemble everything I would test throughly and then fit the left dashboard trim, right dashboard trim and lastly the centre console.

The last modification I did was to fit a 4G USB WIFI adapter and Three 12G SIM card (12 month expiry) using the centre cubby USB (not iPod) to power it. The Android screen WIFI then is set to automatically connect to this on power up and then you have no messing with personal hotspot on your phone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08CY7VF3S/ref...EFbAJFSPY0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CMD4VKC/ref...EFbQK5G7P0

As part of setup I tried a couple of Android launchers instead of the standard screen, and settled on Nova Launcher Pro for the moment. I now have Spotify as my default music player, Navigation default as Waze and Video default as YouTube.

If you need any information or have any questions, just let me know.
 RLD CB Bracket
RLD Sump Protector
TPMS Retrofit

Post #21776933rd Oct 2020 5:40 pm
thisandy

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Excellent write up,there is plenty on here now for anyone to have a go at this modification which is absolutely worth it.

Post #21779524th Oct 2020 7:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 30 <123 ... 8910 ... 282930>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >