Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D4)

Tesla Style Android screen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 30 <123 ... 212223 ... 282930>
thisandy

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi, this is how it works for me.
Phone connected via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi for internet. I give voice command “open Bluetooth “ and the phone Bluetooth app opens at the bottom of the screen. I say “phone Foo Bar” or whatever and it dials the number provided it’s in the phone book.Say “close Bluetooth “to finish.
I find CarPlay works pretty perfect for me, I changed it from auto connect to manual. I have noticed that it seems to disconnect Bluetooth and works through Wi-Fi but that’s ok because you have control of your phone through the CarPlay icons and voice.
I can’t comment on Android auto because I have never used it and as I’m sure you already know,CarPlay only works with Apple devices.

Post #22606926th Nov 2021 7:00 pm
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Fantastic, thanks for that info thisandy! Now to decide which variation to go with. Did anyone get the one with the knobs on the "wings"?

Post #22607887th Nov 2021 4:15 pm
z1234567890

United Arab Emirates 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

very nice, how you did this?

Post #22611529th Nov 2021 5:01 pm
PDazzle

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Has anyone installed one of these screens in a 2009 with a small screen basic stereo? I’ve read there maybe issues changing out this system as the clock function on the screen also sets the date and clock on the dash which is then used to log error codes.

Cheers

Post #226291318th Nov 2021 10:31 am
DaveJLBI

Ireland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Reckon I will be removing mine shortly and putting up for sale here. Nothing wrong with it, fantastic piece of kits and brings it right up to date. Might be moving on D4 shortly and as well herself just doesn't like the android stuff. Might be a bargain for someone...

Post #22657786th Dec 2021 6:33 pm
jonnyboy54321

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

you have pm Dave as a form of dibs

Post #22657826th Dec 2021 6:51 pm
Ian_6301

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Embracing the Suck

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thought I'd share my experience to date.

I ordered a unit off AliExpress, seller was Mookaka (should have been a warning!). Paid nigh on £700 including shipping. I sent loads of photos of my dash (MY12 HSE) and specified that it was the Bosch unit.

Product arrives and it doesn't fit. No instructions, clearly intended for the DENSO unit, but the seller was adamant that they wouldn't send instructions and that I didnt need all the wires to fit, just the ribbon cable and couple of others. Told me to just plug stuff in where it fitted...

I plugged in the ribbon cable, connected the battery and lo and behold, a short where the Bosch cable went into the Chinese converter board. Ribbon cable up in smoke, Bosch rear half of unit knackered...

After sending pics of the damage, the seller FINALLY sent the instructions, among messages telling me how stupid I am. Instructions are CLEARLY for a DENSO unit.

I logged a dispute with AE, and we arrived at "send back to china for full refund". They would only accept a shipper who would do the final leg by "the post office", which meant Hermes, given the weight and size of the parcel. Long story short, rather than shell out hundreds of quid for the insured option, I stupidly went with the fire and forget. Needless to say, Hermes lost the package and I am now down the cost of the unit, the return shipping AND the cost of a new Bosch unit (£120 used on Ebay).

Absolutely threaders by now.

Managed to sell some non-essential organs, and stumped up for the TradeTec unit. 5 weeks to ship from CHina to SPain, now finally dispatched on the final leg of the journey, arriving Weds... But these guys have scruples, and despite paying about £150 more for a seller in Spain which, if necessary, I'm fairly convinced I can sue, I have now been hit for £144 VAT. Thanks Boris and your Brexit morons...

Still, I shall report back once I get to fitting.

Thank you all so much for compiling this archive of wisdom - it has been a huge help.

Avoid Mookaka. Avoid Hermes. Absolute charlatans, the lot of them.

Post #226657411th Dec 2021 10:33 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Wished to share as just seen that powerful Land Rover are going to do some videos on the Tesla style screens in the next few weeks , so should be an interesting one

Post #226670211th Dec 2021 8:43 pm
Ian_6301

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Fire at the Disco!

Update on the tesla screen.

The good:

I installed it, it looks great, the android bit works well, I've installed the apps I want and all of them work except EasyLift, which won't pair with the adapter.

The bad:

I burned out the ribbon cable. Again. Twice. and hence, I have no reversing camera, no original screen and no sound output whatsoever.

This SUCKS!

this is not my first rodeo with vehicle wiring, I know to isolate at the battery, and to check everything before closing up. I have used FFC cables and connectors extensively in my RasPi dealings, so I know how to slot them together. Blue side up, slide it all the way in against the stops, check it's in between the guides and then flip the catch down.

On both occasions (first with a genuine cable and again with a generic, square ended one, as I connected power to the unit, with the 2 halves of the screen unbuttoned, but the ribbon cable connected, one element of the FFC cable glowed red hot and I yanked the power.

Please help - what am I doing wrong?

I also have a stack of setup related questions, but these will wait till after I solve this problem.

Post #226757616th Dec 2021 5:07 pm
thisandy

Sorry to hear about your troubles.As I mentioned before in previous posts,you won’t be able to pair Bluetooth devices like EasyLift.Bluetooth is embedded in the mcu and only finds your phone.The android system is not programmed to talk to Bluetooth mcu.
Your other problem seems like drawing too much current for the ribbon cable ratings.Examine the connectors carefully for damage using magnification.Otherwise ensure correct cable.You have followed correct setup process including disconnecting the battery before installation.Next suspect faulty components which is pretty open ended.

Post #226757916th Dec 2021 5:50 pm
aqua0

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

thisandy wrote:
Hi,for the doors go to installer settings,,666888ok and select “right side on”,save and reboot,or you can disable it.
As for the steering wheel controls,if you want to change things you should select Learn mode.
Experiment slowly and note all original and changes so you can reverse them
Andy

Hi Andy,

daft question perhaps, but I'm not an android person. How do you get to the settings menu? I've tried swiping down from the top of the screen, swiping up from the bottom and from both left to right and right to left. Confused

Post #22706924th Jan 2022 11:51 am
thisandy

Hi,no problem,it’s all very confusing at first.
On the top bar you should have a cog wheel icon which is your settings.Once you click on that there are multiple options.
Go to this link https://phoenixautomotivellc.freshdesk.com/support/solutions and scroll down to Px6 which gives you the codes and instructions.
Regards
Andy

Post #22706964th Jan 2022 12:13 pm
aqua0

Nope - I don’t have a settings cog?

Post #22707004th Jan 2022 12:55 pm
thisandy

Swipe/drag the top bar from left to right or right to left.

Post #22707084th Jan 2022 1:42 pm
aqua0

Yup, that’s worked. I knew it would be something really simple but could I chuff figure it out 🤦‍♂️

Post #22707154th Jan 2022 2:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 22 of 30 <123 ... 212223 ... 282930>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >