Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Test Drive of 2010MY D4 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
RRUK
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Yes and you can have KMH in the digital display while MPH on the normal crank handle job. handy for European touring.

The mode I tested also had the iPod connection and USB port in the centre cubby box.

The digital temperature gauges on the individual air con dials look a bit 'Casio watch' though.
 1998 Defender 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

2016 Discovery 4 HSE

1982 Series 3 2.25 Petrol Hard top- Oscar, as featured in Classic Land Rover Magazine for 7 months 

Post #51146425th Aug 2009 7:24 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Given the RRS and D4 have essentially the same dash layout, I thought it suited the D4 much better than the sport, and the MY10 FFRR interior looked dreadful, bar the LCD instrument panel.

Post #51146925th Aug 2009 7:36 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Whats it like Off Road Question
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #51147925th Aug 2009 7:54 pm
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

..sometimes its muddy...sometimes sandy..sometimes icy.... depends really..
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Post #51148025th Aug 2009 7:59 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Thanks thats very helpful Thumbs Up
Post #51148325th Aug 2009 8:08 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

XTC says better than the D3, I'll see if I can find the post Thumbs Up
 The End  
Post #51153725th Aug 2009 9:17 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Here you go
 The End  
Post #51154125th Aug 2009 9:20 pm
roystonh

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
A great test drive and all specced up

I had a test drive of the D4 at Barretts of Ashford last Friday. I have a D3 with 63k on the clock and it is due for replacement in March when the PCP ends at 3 years old. Firstly I drove the RRS and was really impressed with the new engine and the chuckability, I love the look of the car, but just didn't like the lack of space.

I then took out the D4 - same great engine and if you are patient in the corners, it goes around them well. I was really impressed with the speed, when I floored it, the car quickly achieved 70mph, it was rapid and quiet too, much more refined than the D3. It was the HSE model in silver with black interior, good quality, but I prefer cream and wood. The stereo is a great improvement on the current model and has a much better sound. The seats are a world apart, I like the electric lumbar but they could be more comfortable.

I then swapped for the Range Rover 3.6 Vogue. Yes it is wider with nicer seats, but I found it louder than the D4 and not as brisk to accellerate... I'm staying with the Disco. The RR now appears dated, the 2010 model is not different enough to the 09MY and they really need to bring forward the remodel as it is losing ground to the D4.

My overall impression was that the D4 felt like a different car, it was great to drive and it gave me a daft grin - it was really fun. I am now content in the knowledge that I am happy with my choice and can forget the silly ideas of a Lexus hybrid and BMW. I spent a while going through the specification and I am going for the lot including DVD, total cost will be about £55k, but this is cheap compared to a Range Rover and I consider it to be a superior car. I will be placing my order in December for a March 1st "10" plate.

Post #51161225th Aug 2009 11:44 pm
RRUK
Site Supporter 

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

55K???

Wowzers.

Afer buying a brand new RRS SC when they first came out at 59K I'm not falling for that one again, seems silly paying the 15%/17.5% VAT that you lose instantly just for the privelege of being the first owner.

For 55K you can get an almost brand new (if not new with a great deal) Range Rover Vogue SE, which will have more kit and toys than Dixons. Mind you, if you need 7 seats then of course its pointless.

Everyone has their own preferences of course, hope the D4 is as good as you hope come the '10' plate release. Thumbs Up
 1998 Defender 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

2016 Discovery 4 HSE

1982 Series 3 2.25 Petrol Hard top- Oscar, as featured in Classic Land Rover Magazine for 7 months 

Post #51161725th Aug 2009 11:56 pm
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Been in T&C aberdeen this afternoon to have a looke:

they have most trim levels in GS-XS-HSE

i thought the GS was a big strp up from previous models with the 19" wheels ....pity about the cheap looking display which looks like an after thought.

the XS i saw in ebony leather was ok but for me does not set of the new dash very well.

HSE in sand with almond leather looked very smart .

i would advise against the bali blue(T&C had a GS and XS in this) ... with the led rear lights it has the hint of mg rover about it.

for me though and this suprised me a lot the nicest next gen car in T&C was a RRS SE in Zermatt with an Ocean Leather interior ..for me the new dash has improved the RRS far more than it has the D4 and the spec level seemed just right . if you don't need the seven seats this is well worth considering and dare i say it looks understated in comparison to the new look at me D4...i'll get my tin hat...

what does it drive like?....don't know T&C are not putting one on the road till 1st september...
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Post #51184126th Aug 2009 5:45 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I took a D4 out today for a drive. Cant be assed to write a long report, these are my findings. In no relevant order.

Very impressed with the smoothness, quality, feedback of the ride.

The soft dash is not that soft, I would be happy to screw things into it. I think XTC mentioned this in one of his posts. It appears to be durable.

The engine as expected is very torque'y but did not accelerate as fast as my mates D3 with the BAS tune and Allisport cooler.

Keyless entry I think will grow on me. I like the press to lock button on the exterior door handle.

LED on the head lights are only available on the Bi-Xenonâ„¢ that are standard on the HSE, I expect someone will work out how to enable them on the lesser models.

Heads up Terrain Response info on the dash is disappointing its a small grainy b&w screen it should have been colour.

I like the Freelander style infotainment on the centre console.

Love the Bali Blue with Almond Leather HSE on 20s with Surround Cameras and Two Bar for £46,682

Didn't like the same old EPB noise as the brake is applied Big Cry

Checked out a new FFRR ewww same old crap

Dash is cool but why would anyone want to spend money on a car thats over 7 years old Rolling Eyes
Post #51190226th Aug 2009 7:48 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up

Post #51200726th Aug 2009 10:20 pm
roystonh

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

RRUK wrote:
55K???

Wowzers.

Afer buying a brand new RRS SC when they first came out at 59K I'm not falling for that one again, seems silly paying the 15%/17.5% VAT that you lose instantly just for the privelege of being the first owner.

For 55K you can get an almost brand new (if not new with a great deal) Range Rover Vogue SE, which will have more kit and toys than Dixons. Mind you, if you need 7 seats then of course its pointless.

Everyone has their own preferences of course, hope the D4 is as good as you hope come the '10' plate release. Thumbs Up

I agree it is a lot of cash, and you could get a second hand Vogue for the same price, but as a Company Car I will be paying £750 per month but a RR Vogue will be £500 more per month for Benefit In Kind tax, so its a good deal, as I will have all my private fuel covered too.

Post #51206027th Aug 2009 12:06 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I hope all those taking test drives, especially where they are used to different marques, take into account the fact that the adaptive box won't be reflecting your driving style during your 15 minute run and this really can make a difference Wink .

If you really want to make a genuine observations of the vehicles performance and handling then have it for a weekend and try to cover around 500 miles Thumbs Up I would anticipate a slightly differing report after that Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #51208927th Aug 2009 8:13 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

Totally agree DG Thumbs Up I found that a thrash up the A470 to Builth and back 'adapted' the box to my styley Thumbs Up The engine will also be tighter than a fat man in spandex.

Click image to enlarge
Post #51211827th Aug 2009 9:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >