Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Test drive a D3..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ash4d86

Wales 
Test drive a D3..

I finally found a D3 that I was happy enough with ‘on screen’ to arrange a viewing/ test drive today.
It was an 07 plate with 60k on the clock. Super excited as I’ve longed after a Landie for some time. However, after the test drive I was left a little deflated. The car had leather seats, heated in front, auto lights and windscreen wipers, but it all felt a bit ‘plasticky’. That and the car seemed to rock like a boat while driven.

The point of this post I guess is to ask if that’s normal? Is that just how air suspension feels? And are all Landies (exc. Range Rovers) a little plasticky? I currently have a 14 plate Transit Custom, which I find to be a more solid feeling, and generally a bit nicer/ inside.

Post #20975504th Nov 2019 6:18 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

if you want it to feel a bit nicer inside, consider a range rover sport, which is a similar (but shorter) chassis.

Post #20975594th Nov 2019 7:02 pm
Ash4d86

Wales 

How are they off road though? Are they as capable as Discos?

Post #20975724th Nov 2019 8:04 pm
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

A D3 with working suspension rides pretty well for its size and weight. Sometimes it’s referred to as a magic carpet ride, there will be some roll when pushed but it shouldn’t feel like at boat at sea.
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #20975804th Nov 2019 8:36 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

Not a lot of difference off road as the car's are basically the same but the disco has more room inside it due to it's 5 inch longer chassis Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #20975854th Nov 2019 9:05 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

When I was looking for a used D3 I found their was a big difference in handling between samples I tried. Some were taut & others sloppy. I would try a few to see if the one you have tried is representative . Incorrect wheel alignment , Tyres which are worn or wrong pressure, plus worn suspension bushes all make a big difference. Also I found some materials used for valeting will make the interior seem plastically

Post #20976645th Nov 2019 10:18 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Test drive a D3..

Ash4d86 wrote:
I finally found a D3 that I was happy enough with ‘on screen’ to arrange a viewing/ test drive today.
It was an 07 plate with 60k on the clock. Super excited as I’ve longed after a Landie for some time. However, after the test drive I was left a little deflated. The car had leather seats, heated in front, auto lights and windscreen wipers, but it all felt a bit ‘plasticky’. That and the car seemed to rock like a boat while driven.

The point of this post I guess is to ask if that’s normal? Is that just how air suspension feels? And are all Landies (exc. Range Rovers) a little plasticky? I currently have a 14 plate Transit Custom, which I find to be a more solid feeling, and generally a bit nicer/ inside.

Personally I think the D3 interior is looking really old and dated now. The car shouldn't rock. It will roll but its actually quite 'chuckale'. You can really hustle them along. Very Happy

Whilst they are great cars, they are getting old and have been expensive to run since the day they were launched. Unless you know the history then they will drain your wallet quickly. Sad

If you don't need one for its capability and space, I'd buy something else. Also, 60,000 miles in 12 years rings alarm bells. Lots of short journeys. These beasties are better when used.
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #20976695th Nov 2019 10:31 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

07 plate with 60k on the clock ? Are you sure this is correct a 12 year old - 5k miles p.a. ?

Is it being sold by its one elderly owner or has it has multiple owners?

Have you checked the MoT history of the vehicle here:- https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history ?

Have you seen the invoices for the annual services & other work?

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #20976815th Nov 2019 11:23 am
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Moo wrote:
.... Also, 60,000 miles in 12 years rings alarm bells. Lots of short journeys. These beasties are better when used....

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
I completely agree with that!! is clearly something we learned all we had, or still have, these wonderful artifacts from new and for a long time!!
 lost in translation!  
Post #20976905th Nov 2019 12:46 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Ash4d86 wrote:
How are they off road though? Are they as capable as Discos?

Yes, sometimes they can be better if they have ACE (active anti-roll bars) fitted. (however this can be unrealiable and expensive to fix!)

The disadvantage is they are 5 seat only, and smaller room in boot

Post #20976985th Nov 2019 1:15 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I thought the approach and departure angles for the RRS were inferior to the D3. Happy to stand corrected though.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #20977005th Nov 2019 1:26 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Ash4d86 wrote:
...And are all Landies (exc. Range Rovers) a little plasticky? I currently have a 14 plate Transit Custom, which I find to be a more solid feeling, and generally a bit nicer/ inside.

My 05 HSE is a little wallowy but I actually quite like that, in comparison to my Freelander 2. I don't drive fast and find it rather comfortable. I use the FL2 for town driving and the D3 for longer journeys etc.

The issue with the plasticy feel is more about your expectations - you're comparing a car that was designed in 2004 to one that was designed in 2012. Materials etc changed a lot during that period. If you compared it to a 2014 plate Dsico 4 you'll see how things changed over that time.

Early D3s are now excellent value assuming you pick a good one. A few grand gets you a heck of a lot of car and despite the slightly aged look and feel of the interior, they are supremely capable and comfortable cruisers. Everything is intuitively designed and functional. Indeed I prefer the slightly boxy but very practical dash on the D3, over the later models. I prefer a button to a touchscreen for example, and the surfaces are harder wearing to the soft-touch dashes in most new cars. That's why I bought the D3 this year, as opposed to loaning a Disco Sport / D5.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #20977265th Nov 2019 3:21 pm
AJ198T

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I deffo second the idea to test drive a couple of others so you can know if the roll you experienced is just that of a typical D3 which may just be something you aren't used to, or the one in question needs a suspension refresh.

I've just come into D3 ownership from an ACE equipped D2 and at first the roll of my D3 felt rather wayward whereas the D2 was like a two ton mini by comparison. But I've got used to the roll now and realised it's not as much as initially seemed the case and hangs on quite gamely for such a big heavy thing. And the ride is nicer than most cars I've been in including many of a much newer design. But it's deffo more of a luxury liner than a speedboat.

It's more plasticky than the D2 which seemed to have more rubberised areas. But then so cosseting which more than makes up for that.

Post #20977765th Nov 2019 6:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >