Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

test drive d4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
NeilD

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Landylad,

That's why I am waiting (MrsD doesnt even want to drive on euntil she knows we can have one!). In order to get that deal the D4 needed to be registered in September. October is the start of QTR4 and the deals will depend on QTR3 sales. My hunch is it will continue as its a great way to ship new cars.......even at 3% interest its still a great deal.

My car is worth circa £30,000 so that'll be the deposit and just a balance to pay in 2011....... Whistle

.......Hopefully......
 My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/NeilDisco#p/u/5/Dz4-Q95GQ2c
Photo Sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/16658684@N08/sets/72157625275139752/ 

Post #5165096th Sep 2009 10:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Good thread - what I have been saying for a while, where's the SE?

Basically I need the memory seats so that my wife and I don't fall out over the seat position. Plus my D3 SE has heated rear seats which you can also only get on an HSE but I'm not paying all that £££ and don't want a glass roof, keyless entry and soft leather etc etc.

Come on Land Rover, give us back the SE!
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #5166107th Sep 2009 9:24 am
Zermatt Vulgaris

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I am seriously considering the dark side-RRS SE next time as it is closer to the spec i want ...than XS D4.....and i don't want sun roof / is my roof rack still there checking system on the HSE.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2011MY Zermatt Silver Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0 TDV6

Last edited by Zermatt Vulgaris on 7th Sep 2009 9:34 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5166147th Sep 2009 9:33 am
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Only Land Rover could design a product range that excluded the model that is desirable by many, thereby encouraging people to either postpone a purchase, or switch to another brand to get what they want at a price they want to pay. The net result to LR on both counts is loss of sales, and therefore ££$$ which with the financial problems they have been having, i would have thought they would be desperate to attract any potential sales.

Still, I guess they know best, which is why they redesign the D3 and the only bit they don't fix is the bit that goes wrong most often (EPB) Rolling Eyes , as much as i am loyal to LR, you have to wonder if they are going to be the Architects of their own downfall Confused
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5166157th Sep 2009 9:33 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

I hope you are wrong but I have been wondering about a second hand GL320CDI. If the SE existed then I would already have ordered one for 15% VAT delivery. So if they bring it out for MY2011 just as the Tories put VAT up to 20% what will we do? Easy, buy a second hand HSE or wait until VAT falls again in 2011/2012.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #5166177th Sep 2009 9:40 am
Zermatt Vulgaris

I would be interested to hear if one of the reason why some post indicate that the D4 handles much better than the D3 could be due to wheel size all the D4 demo's I have seen have been running on 19". a lot of D3s are running on smaller rim sizes..

a question for the 19" HSE boys who have driven a D4 did it handle better..obviously it is quicker..

Post #5168457th Sep 2009 5:09 pm
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Good point. My D3 is on 18" wheels (better in the snow, cheaper rubber were my reasons) but they can squeal in the dry on the corners.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #5168547th Sep 2009 5:21 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Well, I have 18's on my S so cannot compare like for like. But for my money, it's much more to do with the firmness, reduction in body roll and the ability to hold a line. Some of these you will see an enhancement with by an inch less sidewall, but I'd say a very minimal amount.

Def had the engineers tweak the dynamics of the suspension... probably all electronics and/or stiffer anti-roll bar.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5170097th Sep 2009 9:19 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Zermatt Vulgaris wrote:
a question for the 19" HSE boys who have driven a D4 did it handle better..obviously it is quicker..

Not a HSE boy ..but do have the HSE 19" on mine .

I took out a D4 today and it is a big improvement on handling ..it dosent lol about like the d3 ...a deffinate plus point .

Engine ...much more poke ...very smooth and 40 - 70 mph just flew up there .Came down a slip road and was doing 95mph by the time i had pulled on to the motorway ..thought i better slow down as the car only had 3 miles on the clock Shocked

Steering was much more precise too ..but maybe mines just a bit sloppy Sad

Interior looked better in the flesh than on piccys . One had a right mismatch of colours in it ..even had different front and rear door cards !!!!

I too am disapointed about there being no SE ..i dont know if i want to loose all my toys and down spec as i very much doubt i can afford a HSE . Just waiting for a trade in price on mine . I may just get another SE d3 .

But the engine and suspension differences are big ...i may still be swayed Whistle
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #5170207th Sep 2009 9:35 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

My 05SE with 18" Scorpions was rubbish. First they wore out faster than Screwfix sandpaper and, second, they were jumpy on the road. Once replaced with proper tyres the car performed beautifully in terms of handling.

The 09HSE with 19" wheels (and Scorpions Evil or Very Mad ) is a bit tighter, but then it's newer and some of the bushing is better. There's a hump on a lefthand corner on the road over the Mendips that can throw you, dangerously, out into the offside lane. The SE used to do this until the Michelins were fitted, and the HSE is no different over that particular lump.

So, my view, wheel size no difference, bar the impact of the lower profile.

The D4 feels entirely different to the 09HSE in a mountain goatish sort of way.

Post #5170247th Sep 2009 9:39 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

wiggs wrote:
But the engine and suspension differences are big ...i may still be swayed Whistle

Thought the whole point of the D4 tweaks are that you won't be (swayed, that is... Wink )

When opportunity presents, I drive MrsR's 5 series till the traction control lights start flashing, the D3 I drive till I worry it's going to fall over in a bend... D4 was totally different - not a 5 series, for sure, but certainly not like any Land Rover I've driven before through fast, twisty lanes. Brakes had way more feel too - you know the D3 anchors will work, eventually, but you have to press quite hard. D4 was a different ball game - if I wasn't used to the 5 series too, I think Mr Salesman might have left teethmarks in the dashboard the first few times I tried slowing down!

Post #5170267th Sep 2009 9:45 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The extra £7200 for a HSE relative to the XS is too big a jump. Bring back the SE.

Post #5170377th Sep 2009 10:00 pm
Zermatt Vulgaris

I'm sure the gents at Gaydon are reading and are sharpening their pencils to give us the disco we love.. Whistle

Interesting stuff about the D4 handling gents..

Post #5170397th Sep 2009 10:03 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I concur with my right honorable gentleman, MartinR.

Spot on with brakes and handling comments.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5170417th Sep 2009 10:05 pm
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Just had a play about in an HSE today while waitng for my car. Those are some luuvvlly comfy seats 8)
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #5170427th Sep 2009 10:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >