DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Text information on radio screen?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mook

Australia 
Text information on radio screen?

Hi all,

Test drove a D3 V6 Petrol SE a couple of weekends ago. Loved it, will be my next car. Had a D2 V8 a couple years back and miss it like mad.

I noticed that here in Melbourne, when I had the base spec radio on Mix101, it had scrolling text information going across the radio screen. I have never seen this before. No other station had it, just Mix101.

Anyone know what this is called? I have read about digital radio, but this isnt that. Any help appreciated.

Rgds,

Michael.

Post #11336627th Dec 2006 11:38 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Analogue FM radio has for many years now used a system called RDS (radio data system) to transmit various bits of information alongside the audio signal on a 57KHz subcarrier.

The most common bits of information are the PI code (unique code in the world for identifying a station), the stations name, a list of frequencies of their transmitters (so the radio can auto-search the list for stations with the same PI code and switch if necessary - e.g. if the signal is low). Another thing commonly used is called the TA flag - whenever there is a traffic announcement your radio could be set to switch to the station and/or increase in volume.
The RDS system also includes TMC, and in several countries around the world various radio stations provide the TMC data companies with their transmitter infrastructure to be used to broadcast TMC messages.

Radiotext is also possible, and used to varying degrees by many stations (in Ireland it's usually just a fixed scrolling message) - some announce what the current song playing is, the stations phone number, etc. However, most car radios do not support the displaying of RadioText information as it's considered distracting to the driver to have scrolling text on the radio!!! The D3 radios do not support radiotext.

So the only way you could have seen scrolling text on your D3 radio is if the station had a scrolling name. This is possible, but again is uncommon - in Ireland and other countries it's actually illegal, as once again it's considered distracting.

Anyway, conclusion is that if you did see scrolling text then it must have been the stations name changing, and as a result, any RDS radio would have showed the same thing. And as for the station doing it, either you guys in Aus are more sensible when it comes to the legality of allowing scrolling text on your radio in the day and age of sat nav, etc, or the station is breaking the law and they'll probably soon stop doing it. Wink
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #11338927th Dec 2006 12:45 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I worked a lot in France and Spain many years ago when the RDS was first launched. I think a radio station called 'Energy Radio' would send all sorts of info using the rolling text system. I have not noticed it for some years and presumed it was illegal.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #11340027th Dec 2006 1:12 pm
Mook

Australia 

Thanks bkehoe and AndrewS, it was basically an advertising blurb, advertising the station's breakfast show that was scrolling on the screen.

Will have to wait and see if it still does it when I do get around to getting a D3 of my own!

Cheers,

Michael.

Post #11362328th Dec 2006 8:03 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Mook,

Welcome.

MIX FM only introduced this scrolling text message this year. Before it was static. Other European cars that I've had on loan at my LR Dealer have this facility (eg. Volvo and Peugot) as well.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #11385628th Dec 2006 9:43 pm
Mook

Australia 

Thanks Chris,

I'm always interested in this new tech gadget kind of stuff.

Nice looking Disco you have there too.

Michael..

Post #11391229th Dec 2006 12:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >