Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Thanks but no thanks.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
sumpcracker

England 
Thanks but no thanks.

Thanks to this forum i will not now buy a Disco, i love the look of them but when i spend a shed load of my own money i want reliability, go to http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm i know it's the freelander but the Disco is going the same way IMHO. A work friend has had Land Rovers for the last twenty odd years (caravaner) he has had a Disco for the last 12 months, he is getting rid of it for a BMW, because it has broken down too many times.Sad really.BTW i am now looking at a Pathfinder, please point me in the right direction why i should not buy this vehicle.
 The older i get the better i was.  
Post #4829116th Mar 2006 10:07 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

That's fine, you have to make your own mind up when you are spending big £.

I love mine and would not swap if someone offered me a £45k X5 for my £30k D3.

You pays your money you makes your choice
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #4829316th Mar 2006 10:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'm sorry, but you are judging the d3 on a Freelander article! Why not read the D3 article on honest john? It gets a pretty good evaluation, and the pathfinder does too, except that Honest John reckons the seats in the Disco are better. You pays your money and takes your choice.

It would seem from your closing sentence that you are looking to us to rescue you from your decision? Well, if thats the case then have you asked the same question in reverse on the Pathfinder forum?

If you want my advice, buy a D3.

Post #4829416th Mar 2006 10:20 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

it all depends on what sort of 4x4 you require, if you want a 4x4 that does 99.9% of its life on the road then yes maybe an x5 or whatever should be your choice.

if how ever you require the vehicle to do a lot more off road work as i do then you will not beat the d3 as an x5 will not even come close whilst off road, so make your mind up what you need and choose accordingly

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #4829516th Mar 2006 10:23 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The D3 is very reliable... don't be swayed by all you read on the forums. Only bad news and issues tend to get posted on these types of sites.

As you can see below mine and MANY MANY others are running just fine thanks. And before you take your money to another manufacturer check out their enthusiast sites... bet you find they are reporting bad stuff and not stories of how wonderfully reliable it is.

Good news is unfortunately not interesting and NEVER gets debated. Bad news is debated to the Nth degree.

But hey... your choice. I made mine and after a year continue to be VERY happy.

cheers

Post #4832817th Mar 2006 9:01 pm
Pelyma

England 

The choice is yours to make not ours. All I can say if I thought a Pathfinder, X5, ML LC or any of the rest I wouldn't have ordered another.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4832917th Mar 2006 9:04 pm
Husky

Australia 

You have done your research and made your decision I sincerely hope you enjoy your Pathfinder.

It would be pretty boring if we all wanted the same vehicle Idea

Post #4833217th Mar 2006 9:14 pm
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Don't be too hasty, the Discovery3 is a great vehicle, streets ahead of its predecessors and way ahead of its competitors. Go on test drive one, borrow it for the day if you can, you will love it. Although issues are innevitably reported on discussion forums, most problems with the Disco3 are of a minor nature, e.g. vehicle electronics, they are all solvable and usually under warranty.
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #4833517th Mar 2006 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
drivesafe

Australia 

Here in Australia, and I imagine the same happens in Britain and Europe, people spend unreal amounts of money on fishing gear. Then along comes someone like sumpcracker who, without spending a cent, hooks a load of bits.

He has a mate ( I sincerely doubt that, and that’s why he is here ) who has had a disco and used it for caravanning but because he’s make-believe mate has had so many problems with his fictitious D3 that he is now going to by a BMW.

RIGHT

Even if his make-believe mate was a devout BMW enthusiast, tell me why anybody in their right mind, would use a BMW to tow a caravan.

If sumpcracker actually had a mate who was using a disco to tow a van then I would imagine, when not towing the van, the disco would be used for a bit of off road fun. Why have it otherwise.

Compered to a D3, the X5 is renowned for being next to totally useless off road so that would rule out using it for anything but towing.

On road, the X5 is more like a sports car than any other 4x4 ( except the RRS ) and handles like one, so again, why would anybody in their right mind buy a sports car to tow a caravan.

Last but not least, at the time of this post, sumpcracker had made just 3 posts, so he hasn’t exactly asked too many questions before he came to his momentous decision not to buy a D3.

He’s not going to buy a pathfinder, he already owns one and is now regretting it.

All he is looking for is people to try and run down pathfinders. sumpcracker, this is a Landy site, try elsewhere. Razz
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #4834917th Mar 2006 10:28 pm
chex

is it your job to come with conspiracy theories?

O.o

Post #4835017th Mar 2006 10:42 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

chex wrote:
is it your job to come with conspiracy theories?

O.o

Hi chex, no, but over the last few months, in Australia, we have been flooded with people who have decided not to buy whatever vehicle because they reckon their “mates” are having problems with them and not just Landies but toyotas nissans and so on.

I may be very wrong, but as I have pointed out, there seams to be some strange reasons why these people are now not going to buy a new D3.

If someone is not in the slightest bit interested in a D3, fine, that's their choice but these post sound more like people trying to have a cheap shot.

Not just in this thread. The other thread has also been strange to say the least, like when compering the size of a D3 to a prado and when I pointed out then the D3 is bigger the author of the question comes back with the answer that they are not interested in size but that the prado might be to high because of overhanging branches?

One only has to read the specs for both vehicle to know that the D3 with air suspension is still higher.

Again as I posted above, we have had some rippers over here, like a clown from South Africa who posted that a number of his family and friends have D3s and so far 4 of them have blow motors? Have you heard of ONE D3 motor blowing, let alone 4.

And like sumpcracker, there have been no specific details posted.

What sort of problems has his mat had. Just about every genuine post relating to problems usually lists the problems.

Call me a conspiracist or not, these are still strange post but I may very well be wrong.

Doubt it though.
Post #4836117th Mar 2006 11:27 pm
Rodg75

United Kingdom 

I agree that some of these posts are a bit dubious....
However if it is genuine heres my reply..
I ordered a V6 pathfinder (0% finance) from my local nissan dealer (westway manchester) after having a quick look at the D3 and deciding I couldn't afford it.
However after 3 months the pathfinder arrived in the wrong colour. So I got my deposit back and test drove a D3, and realised straight away the mistake that the nissan dealer made that I was so upset about (3 months waiting is a long time) was the best thing that could have happened. The cars are light years apart in terms of internal space, quality, engine smoothness, but mainly the feeling you get when driving one. I ordered one the same day.
To sum up....there IS NO COMPARISON between the two cars.
Shocked

Post #4838418th Mar 2006 8:31 am
Husky

Australia 

'Sumpcracker' let me add to your catch Smile

'Drivesafe' you are right on the money Idea He went fishing, it was obvious from the start and why I said what I did in my initial response "enjoy" and "bye" Very Happy

Post #4838518th Mar 2006 8:56 am
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Rodg75 wrote:
I agree that some of these posts are a bit dubious....
However if it is genuine heres my reply..
I ordered a V6 pathfinder (0% finance) from my local nissan dealer (westway manchester) after having a quick look at the D3 and deciding I couldn't afford it.
However after 3 months the pathfinder arrived in the wrong colour. So I got my deposit back and test drove a D3, and realised straight away the mistake that the nissan dealer made that I was so upset about (3 months waiting is a long time) was the best thing that could have happened. The cars are light years apart in terms of internal space, quality, engine smoothness, but mainly the feeling you get when driving one. I ordered one the same day.
To sum up....there IS NO COMPARISON between the two cars.
Shocked

I totally agree, I test drove what can only be described as an agricultural £30K Pathfinder T-Spec, the D3 is light years ahead in both build quality and refinement. When I took into account meteoric Nissan depreciation the extra cost for the D3 balanced out. The Nissan should have been around £20k not £30k
The only problem I have with the D3 is getting my wife to let me use it!!
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #4838618th Mar 2006 9:08 am
drivesafe

Australia 

Andy4467 wrote:
The only problem I have with the D3 is getting my wife to let me use it!!

Been there, done that, but in reverse.

My wife ( it’s her D3 ) has band me from driving it because on the two occasions I took it off road ( without her ), the first time I managed to cover the interior ( and myself ) in cow dung and the second time, I put some scratches on it, but they will come out without to much elbow grease. Embarassed
Post #4839118th Mar 2006 10:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >