Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Thanks (!) Richmond
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
highbridgeflyer

United Kingdom 

It'll be interesting to see em charge a FFRR TDV8 owner. EU4 compliant engine and CO2 offset cost paid for in the on the road charge.

I will watch with interest Laughing Laughing

Post #9682825th Oct 2006 10:56 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

They had Bamber Gascoigne on the local news last night. He was in this yellow thing and as they were filming him he nearly reversed into the path of a van. Now that would have been funny! Very Happy
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #9686826th Oct 2006 9:52 am
k1w1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The price of homes with off-road parking will now shoot up in Richmond.

Post #9686926th Oct 2006 9:54 am
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

At least in York the council aren't singling out 4x4's.

POLLUTING lorries and other large-engine vehicles could be banned from the centre of York within five years.

City environment boss and City of York Council deputy leader, Coun Andrew Waller, said today a feasibility study into creating a "low emission zone" within the city centre should be completed within the next 12 months.

If it recommends setting up such a zone, which would effectively ban heavily polluting vehicles from coming within the city walls, there would then be a period of public consultation - with the zone being put in place "in the next five years".
continued...

The feasibility study, which is being paid for by a £55,000 grant from the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), will look at whether banning heavy goods vehicles from the city centre will be enough to enable York to meet tough Government targets on air quality.

If not, the council would be "looking at what other vehicles would need to be excluded in order to reach the target on nitrogen dioxide levels", Coun Waller said.

That would not automatically mean big 4x4 vehicles being banned from central York, he stressed. He said: "Some 4x4s are more efficient than ordinary cars - but some are not.

"We are not singling out 4x4s in particular, but rather the size of engines.

"We are looking at the moment of heavy lorries and old buses and don't know yet if cars will be targeted, but we can't rule it out at this stage."

He said that once the study results are known in about one year's time then further decisions will be made at that stage.

The news came as another Lib Dem council in London wants owners of gas-guzzling vehicles to pay more to park outside their homes.

Richmond-upon-Thames residents with two high-emission cars could pay £750 a year, compared with £200 now, but the greenest cars would be exempt.

Richmond's plan follows national and local schemes targeting emissions and congestion and comes after the Lib Dem conference approved proposals to use new taxes on gas-guzzling cars and airlines to pay for income tax cuts.

In August last year The Press reported that lorries which clog up York's streets could be banished by one of the country's first Park & Freight schemes to tackle congestion.

The city council bid for Government cash to investigate setting up a revolutionary "freight interchange" at the approach to York from the A64.

Delivery lorries would park at the depot and offload their supplies on to smaller, electrically-powered vehicles, which would take the goods to retailers across the city centre.

Benefits would include the electric delivery lorries would cause zero pollution and they could negotiate the city's narrow streets better than huge trucks. And deliveries could be made to several different stores during one trip into the city centre.

Coun Waller said today that this bid was still on-going.

10:05am today

Post #9688026th Oct 2006 12:13 pm
catweasel

just out of curiosity, would these battery powered vehicles then pay to dispose of their toxic batteries and pay a levy for the pollution created in making these batteries which use polluting power plants to create the electricity to charge their vehicles, or would this not concern the council as this would occur elsewhere and become someone elses problem. I don't think I would like to live in Britain with all this garbage you have to put up with.

Post #9688526th Oct 2006 12:38 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

catweasel - I agree. No one is looking at the bigger picture!
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #9688626th Oct 2006 12:47 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Just had a brainwave! As we sent you our convicts many years ago CW, how about we send you our politicians to make up for that?? Shocked

Post #9688926th Oct 2006 1:15 pm
catweasel

no thanks, there's enough things to shoot at here already, besides I don't think they'd make it through quarantine.

Post #9689026th Oct 2006 1:18 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Can you imagine being locked up for 6 months with our politicos?? Would drive you barking.

Post #9689126th Oct 2006 1:21 pm
nobbyclark

Quote:
The price of homes with off-road parking will now shoot up in Richmond

That's precisely what the council is completely failing to realise. I suspect that most people in Richmond already have off-street parking, which means that this ridiculous money-grab by the council will end up costing more to administer than it will actually raise.

I tell you, what with bin bugs, parking tax, revised council tax, we are that close to a revolution comrades...
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #9717227th Oct 2006 4:47 pm
SN

The bl**dy stupid residents voted FOR this scheme!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6265837.stm
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #12027216th Jan 2007 6:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The link is U/S

Post #12027416th Jan 2007 6:56 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Not for me, here is the pic!

PS Muppets! (Richmond residents that voted for this, not U Gareth!!!)

Post #12027616th Jan 2007 6:58 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If I lived in Richmond with my 4x4, and my neighbour had a prius, it would be obvious that he had voted to cost me money.
Therefore, as I am paying extra for the priveledge of poluting the atmosphere in Richmond, I would point the Censored end of my D3 towards his front door and leave the engine running for an hour or two!

D***heads!
 Back in the game!  
Post #12041116th Jan 2007 10:38 pm
croyde

Anyone listen to James O'Brian on LBC yesterday and his anti 4X4 phone-in show. Idiots were phoning in saying that we should pay more as we use up 2 parking spaces?

Never have to use 2 spaces in mine although there are a lot of smaller cars taking up more than one space due to the fact that their idiotic owners can't park.

Post #12063417th Jan 2007 10:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >