Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Thats new !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Thats new !

A loverly new shiny green light appeared on my instrument panel today to tell me my front fog lights were on. Very useful indeed.

Only problem is that it was not foggy and I don't have front fog lights - they are not standard on the 'S'

Is VERY wet today so maybe some water ingress or just another systems glitch.

-s

Post #176630th Mar 2005 12:35 pm
mwillems

2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Keep us informed - I have had major problems with water ingress into wiring looms after torrential rain (took forever; wiring loom now replaced). Worried this will re-occur.

Post #176830th Mar 2005 4:11 pm
simon

Will do Mike.

What is the latest on your issues ? I saw your suspension problems returned again. Since my ECU connector fix I've seen the error once and that cleared after a restart.

Still get the park brake error every few days (seem to happen more when my wife drives it for some reason). My SW was not updated as my car would not talk to the dealers gear... now they want it for three days to do the SW upgrade.

-s

Post #176930th Mar 2005 4:51 pm
BN

England 

Simon/Mike, have you guys taken a look under neath the car. I was horrified at the amount of wire and connectors that are unprotected. For a 4x4 with apparent serious use, the wires are of some worry. One problem I have located today is that water from the windscreen runs down to the channel below the windscreen wipers. Thats great, but the rubber seal between the bonnet and the engine bay has two cuts in it (by design!) over each headlamp unit. This directs all the water around the rubber and pours it over the rear of the headlamp units. Another concern today is that the trailer wiring loom is fouling the weights on the rear which are apparently to do with the vehicles dynamics. Not only does the wire restrict the swing, but the weights could cut the wire. This is the first return for my car to the dealer. Does this sound familiar on this site. Rolling Eyes

Post #177030th Mar 2005 5:02 pm
Ecosse

Simono - perhaps you should push them to fit the foglights that the car thinks it has!! BN - I suspect water is a problem, I have again lost cruise control altogether and this was after some water splashes Very Happy , however it is meant to be an off-roader - also, looking under the front wings they seem to be much more open to the engine whereas the D2 had wheel arch linings, but is this to do with the air suspension, or are they perhaps just "missing" in mine? Crying or Very sad

Post #177130th Mar 2005 5:32 pm
BN

England 

Ecosse, the wings are certainly quite open on mine so maybe that is the design. I am not yet sure about the vehicle, but will be putting it through its paces soon with some serious work, that should sort out the electrics. I know it tows well already, as I have had 3 tonnes behind. The interesting bit is starting off in low range and changing up to high range with that weight on board and on the move. No doubt we will break it soon as we have with my 110 fleet. The difference there is a hammer and string puts them back on the road, with the D3 I will need Microsoft, panel beaters, electricians and plumbers on hand. If the preheater worked, I would need central heating engineers as well. Smile

Post #177230th Mar 2005 6:24 pm
simon

Guys,

I agree the amount of very very thin wires and what look like delicate connectors are very visible through the wheel arches. Surprised me when I did the geeky look around my car when I first had it.

Mind you... everything looks well tucked out of the way under the chassis (good design as far as I am concerned) unlike many other 4 x 4's that have all sorts of crap hanging down ready to be snagged - transfer cases, plastic bits etc etc.

I guess that as long as the wires are sealed against water ingress correctly (becoming debatable here I know) then if anything did get in where they are, then your probably in a situation where getting out of the car through the windows is the only way out and of progressing across the terrain (by foot) ??? Hope this is true as I DO NOT want my DISCO3 dying or glitching each time I go through some semi deep road puddles like today.

Ecosse - agree with you here ! Probably are fitted and just behind the bumper where the cuts outs are on yours Wink At least I have a light unlike my Settings Menu thats missing and should be there - sorry need to remind you all again Wink

-s

Post #177330th Mar 2005 7:00 pm
marc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Talking about hanging down wires from the underneath, I found some (with a dodgy connector block) hanging down under the passenger side rear door whilst I was at the dealers (as luck would have it).

I called the dealer over and showed him the wires (which were covered in road salt after a week of driving) and he looked surprised. After looking at the demo Disco 3 they realised that there was a casing missing (big plastic thing (top and bottom bit) that seals around the cables).

They fitted one off the showroom model which was good..... but it did make me wonder what else was missing from the car.

I believe that they took the bit off to fit the towbar electrics (or thats what I hope so that it wasn't a manufacturing error.)

Its probably worth all you lot checking your Discos.

Cheers

Marc
 Disco 3 now gone!!

Discovery 3 S spec 2.7 V6 Diesel. Smile

Previous Car to D3: Seat Leon Cupra R with a nice 280 bhp...... Sad to see it go Sad 

Post #177530th Mar 2005 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
freeflytim

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Laughing Maybe built on "Free Guinness Friday??" Laughing

heh heh heh.
-TIM
Tennessee USA

marc wrote:

They fitted one off the showroom model which was good..... but it did make me wonder what else was missing from the car.

Post #177831st Mar 2005 3:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mwillems

Hmm. I had packing materials in my car, in the back (behind the little inside side covers). Oh well.

This wiring and its exposure to the elents is indeed worrying me. We have a lot of "elements": in Canadsa. Wet, cold and salty elements.

"Super-Greasing" looms to keep them dry (as LR did with my truck) is a poor alternative for designing it so that they do not get wet in the first place. Yes, that is theory: but the failures we are seeing are practice. I do hope LR will soon announce a redesign/recall where they move cables and connectors inside somewhere.

Post #177931st Mar 2005 6:48 am
BN

England 

Must say, LR appear to have lost their way now for off road vehicles. The old LR 110 & 90's were primitive sheds on wheels, but few wires were under the car, even the battery was in the vehicle. I am concerned about the D3 when we use it seriously in a couple of weeks time. Has anyone in Canada or the colder climes had any problems with the 'parking brake' freezing on because there is a connector block (exposed) on the rear chassis (next to the spare wheel) on the left hand side that is vital to many important controls for the brakes apparently. Question

Post #178131st Mar 2005 8:08 am
mwillems

As a precaution, I do not use the parking brake when it is very cold. I leave it in Park and let the gearbox hold it...

Michael

Post #178731st Mar 2005 2:08 pm
BN

England 

Hi Michael, thought you guys would have the obvious practical solution.

Post #178931st Mar 2005 4:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >