DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Thinking about buying a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Thinking about buying a D3

Hi,

I am currently very close to swapping my focus RS for a D3, I am looking a getting a TDV6 in SE trim. Just a few questions if anyone can help me.

1) Auto or manual
2) What options accesories are worth getting
3) Colour(love black but hard to clean)
4) How many freebies can/should I push for in the deal
5) MPG what is it like on the pocket ie cost to fill a tank and distance covered.

Thanks

Post #41445th Jun 2005 5:37 pm
Pelyma

England 

Ally I'll do my best to answer your questions
1) I prefer autos, it is a great box - but it is a bit more juicy (IMHO worth it though)
2) The only options I have are a load space liner the HSE is pretty spec'd up the only option I would have liked is the phone system. Unless you're serious off road you won't need the rear diff lock. The other options are taste I guess
3) Your own taste, I have silver my parents black - I don't have the time for a black car!
4) The only freebie I got were the mats (rubber) you should get a deal on a pre registered but I doubt there is much to be had on a new car unless you import then there could be significant savings but I don't know what effect on resale
5) A full tank of diesel is about £75 and should see around 500 miles mixed. Read BN's advice on fuel economy and follow his guidance and you will do alright, initially you will have economy in the low 20s by 5,000 miles it should be 27 ish in my experience!

HTH

Ps They are a great car, but a Focus RS they aren't!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #41455th Jun 2005 7:02 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Ally
I have a manual which I love, I fall asleep in autos Wink the mileage averages between 27 - 30mpg and mine has done 5000 miles so far.I have a Cairns Blue which looks nice but if I was going to buy again I would opt for the silver because it shows the scratches the least.
Dom
 2004 Discovery 3 - gone
2006 Discovery 3 - gone
2008 Discovery 3 GS - gone
2011 Freelander LE Special Edition - gone
2007 Discovery 3 XS - gone
2012 Discovery 4 GS - current 

Post #41515th Jun 2005 7:52 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Tonga Green / alpaca is good colour, auto is a very sorted way of shifting gear (this is an excellent auto box so if tempted to have one you won't regret it with this one) and don't go over board on the extras, they aren't great value for money. We got a basic "s" but up spec'd with alpine roof, rails, auto and tow bar. Suggest the auto is the only one I would say was worth the money so far but if doing it again I would definitely get the leather seats.....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #41545th Jun 2005 8:21 pm
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Mine is Tonga Green with Tundra interior, HSE auto with all the toys. Great colour, and doesn't show the dirt too badly. I definitely think leather is a good idea, which means either an SE or an HSE. I also felt that the alpine roof was well worth having, and by the time you have added auto box (standard on HSE) and the roof to an SE, you may as well go the whole hog and buy an HSE. I managed to get £1300 off list price and discount on a few accesories. Still a lot of money, but you only live once. I certainly agree that the auto is a good idea, and don't forget that you can use it in "Commandshift" which means that you can use it like a manual if you feel like it.

Post #41595th Jun 2005 10:39 pm
lawman

On the subject of discounts, I got about £4k off a TDV6 HSE from a franchised dealer by using autoebid which seems to work very well - makes dealers bid against each other.

Post #41696th Jun 2005 10:56 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Brian (BN) can get you a very decent discount with a vehicle from Gibraltar (£10k of an HSE) or I can put you in touch with the dealer I used (also via autoebid orginally so I can save you their fee) who offered just under 10% off

Si
 The End  
Post #41706th Jun 2005 12:44 pm
ally

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Any help to get the best deal would be much appreciated, however was looking at using land rover freedom finance or similar is this still avaiable when getting imports?

Post #41716th Jun 2005 1:33 pm
BN

England 

Si, there is a dealer I know in Gibraltar who I am (almost) certain will do a great deal and possibly finance, through his UK dealer branch. Ally, if that helps, let me know. Basically you are looking at about £10,000 off for an HSE. I bought one from them which is being delivered in 2 weeks time for the price of an 'S'. Just realised that is a quicker delivery than from a UK dealer. Please note there are very slight differences with any import but the dealer makes it very clear, so there is no problem and usually you get a few little extra's.

Post #41796th Jun 2005 4:44 pm
Beale Heating

Don’t bother mate! If I had found this site before my problems I would have got the Merc or BMW.
 Silver TD6 HSE
Silver with WATER LEAK!! 

Post #41966th Jun 2005 6:50 pm
Pelyma

England 

Depends if you want the best or not, if you don't want a real 4X4 then buy a M class or X5 but they aren't without their problems.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #41996th Jun 2005 7:07 pm
BN

England 

I had a Merc ML so called off roader. I then put it to work, no boot space, less carrying capicity plus a lot more. Try towing a real trailer with them and not just a caravan. Build was reasonable, but boy the service costs Big Cry Thank goodness for the LR, it knocks the hell out of all other 4x4's when it comes to real heavy duty off roading. We moan about LR CS, but the car in basic design and concept is fantastic. Try taking your Merc ML down a 150 foot drop that you cannot walk up or down. I did with the D3 and with HDC did it without the car being in gear, fantastic and all on simple road tyres with 6 people in it. Don't forget Merc are having build problems together with electronic proplems as well just now.

Post #42056th Jun 2005 8:20 pm
Beale Heating

Just be nice to take it out in the rain or wash it without it getting wet inside!
Had 3 Mercs, yep they had minor problems, but not straight from the factory and the dealer fixed them first time. Wink
 Silver TD6 HSE
Silver with WATER LEAK!! 

Post #42066th Jun 2005 8:29 pm
scorpio

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

So its not the vehicle you are moaning about it is the customer service you are getting or not geting

Post #42086th Jun 2005 9:09 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Remember to try and keep some perspective - all cars have problems, some more than others but the key is how to get them sorted.

What we've seen is a poor attitude by LR, not the dealers, to the problems. I *think* things are getting better now, as LR start to address the issues and actually talk to customers, and give the dealers some more information.

If I could, I'd order a D3 today. They are very very impressive vehicles, and are totally wiping the floor with the opposition in the magazine reviews. The Disco has always been popular, but it's never been this well thought of. I'd go with the Disco over an X5 or ML or Landcruiser any day Smile

Martin

Post #42106th Jun 2005 9:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >