Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Third row space for Dog Bag
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SimonH

England 
Third row space for Dog Bag

Could some kind soul tell me the floor space ( in cm ) that is available in the third row, with one seat being used?

i.e. what is the comfortable distance between the seat and the opposite side of the car.

I am wondering if it is possible to use a dog bag (dog-bag.co.uk) in the "boot" whilst still utilising one of the third row seats.

The dog bag is 75cm x 75cm

Thanks in anticipation........

Anyone having experience with dog bags, good or bad?
 NOW SOLD: 2006 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt silver with Alpaca Leather
Tow Pack, PTI, Full Size Spare 

Post #568418th May 2006 8:14 am
Pelyma

England 

A dog bag isn't going to keep your dog safe in an accident, or you for that matter. Fine if you don't want dirt getting all over the car, but a cage is a much safer solution for all concerned. Lintran make fibre glass cages that keep the dirt in and are excellent if a bit pricey. I wouldn't leave a dog unattended in a bag either!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #568508th May 2006 9:11 am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have a medium sized dog bag (see http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=37) so I will try this for you.
As for the safety, I would disagree. Dog bags come with side fixings so you are meant to lash it down to the floor or side. A dog bag is so much more practical than other solutions, I wouldn't have anything else. Unless of course you only use the boot for your dogs, then a cage would be better. But for people you want to use the boot for other purposes and want to keep it clean, a dog bag is ideal.

I'll take some pics of the dog bag in the back of the D3 soon too.
 Matt  
Post #569328th May 2006 4:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SN

Cool bag - how much did that set you back - I have two small dogs ( Censored & terrier/spaniel cross) and every time we take them up to Southport Beach for a runaround the whole car gets covered in sand and snot despite my best efforts to keep them behind the second row in the back! This looks ideal to actually stick the pair of them in!
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #569458th May 2006 6:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

Go to http://www.roofbox.co.uk/ and then click on DogBag on the left menu. All the prices are there including a table to select the correct size bag for your breed of dog.
 Matt  
Post #571099th May 2006 11:22 am
Pelyma

England 

Embarassed Embarassed I was talking about a different product, you mean a soft cage. I know plenty that use them for dog shows, but I know of a few where the dog has ripped his way out Shocked but this is where a dog has been left on a bench in it unattended. Certainly a hell of a lot better than an unrestrained dog in a car and cheaper than £300 for a Lintran cage if you are an occaisional user!

We breed and show dogs so both cars permanently have Lintran cages in them which are reasonably light to take out if you need to put big loads in.

Post #571199th May 2006 12:52 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've been thinking about a DogBag for a while now. I have a cage but it doesn't stay in the car as it's the dogs main bed. More frequently we use a harness with the dog on a big piece of non-slip vet bed, which is fine if you only have one rear seat passenger.
I like the many advantages of the DogBag, in particular the protection it would give from broken glass in the event of a smash, although of course it wouldn't offer any structurally protection. I'm just not sure about leaving an unattended dog in one, maybe I'm being a bit paranoid though!

Post #571349th May 2006 2:26 pm
Pelyma

England 

The main danger to a dog in a collision is being able to get out onto the road, few dogs are crushed in accidents compared to those that escape through broken windows etc. I would say from that point of view soft cages work just fine, but I wouldn't leave a dog unattended in one. It is too easy for a dog to rip its way out or 2 legged scum rip their way in Crying or Very sad

Post #571489th May 2006 3:37 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Good point, I have heard of dogs being nicked from parked cars, in particular sight hounds, as our itinerant friends are partial to a good running dog. I very rarely leave a dog in an unattended car, but sometimes you have no choice. A padlocked cage would no doubt be a further detterent.
Might still get a DogBag anyway though for journeys when you know that you're not going to leave dogs in the car.

Post #571529th May 2006 3:45 pm
Pelyma

England 

Yes keeping whippets can be a nightmare, friends who have Salukis have awful problems. One event we were at gypos pinched 3 of them out of a car, one was never recovered. I wish I had a pound for every time they've threatened to beat me up for throwing them out of our lure coursing events Evil or Very Mad scum

Post #571929th May 2006 8:00 pm
d3matt

We use our dogbag in the house and our dog treats it like a kennel and will sleep in it. Therefore, when it is in the car, it's her space and she's happy with it. I would of thought leaving her in the car would be fine.

One advantage of a dogbag is that the car stays clean. They're great if the dog suffers from travel sickness!
 Matt  
Post #571999th May 2006 9:12 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Dogbags are excellent ...so practical - I wouldn't go anywhere without mine.........

.......Pizza Express.....Carlussio's.......Nando's.......oooohhhh...and El Torito's

MMMMmmmmnnnnnnn

Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #572089th May 2006 9:32 pm
Pelyma

England 

That's exactly why I use a Lintran, not that whippets get dirty! But 5 travel in it no problem!

Post #572159th May 2006 9:48 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

LT wrote:
Good point, I have heard of dogs being nicked from parked cars, in particular sight hounds, as our itinerant friends are partial to a good running dog. I very rarely leave a dog in an unattended car, but sometimes you have no choice. A padlocked cage would no doubt be a further detterent. .

Exactly what I have : a steel cable running around the base of the cage then locked onto the load retaining rings. Another security cable runs around the top of the cage to prevent the cage being taken apart and then theres a tuff padlock on the cage door....if nothing else it bides some time so the nasties think twice.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #572239th May 2006 10:09 pm
Pelyma

England 

Not heard of a knife then Sad

Post #5724310th May 2006 6:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: