Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

This won't come as new, but I had to tell you anyway!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
TB2

This won't come as new, but I had to tell you anyway!

We have bitten the bullet and bought an '06 plate D3 HSE with which we are very pleased.

Took the 'van out the other night 'just to check things out' and I now understand why the term 'Permagrin' is attached to these vehicles.

Picking a particularly hilly route, I was held at the foot of a steep hill at a set of temporary lights. Just what I wanted, to test the pull away from stationery with a 1700kgs 'van.

Not only did the D3 with caravan climb the hill quicker than our Defender does solo, but it ..........actually accelerated up the hill! Whistle It's an oft used cliche, but it really was as if the caravan was not there.

I'm still grinning now, just thinking of the hill climb.

As I said, nothing new to you folks but to this D3 novice, well, what a car! Bow down

Prior to that, we had dropped our youngest off at scout camp and carried lout a few errands. Returning home, we realised that we had just driven 80 miles. it was as if we had just popped down to the shops so relaxed were we after the drive.

Oh, and the trip computer (I'll just reach for the saucer of salt from which to take a giant pinch) was showing 39.4mpg - albeit we had cruised up the M2 at 56mph. The trip computer seems reasonably accurate, probably within 10% of actual consumption, although we have only topped up twice since picking the car up. We drove just over 230 miles on 30L before needing to top up again, so that's around 32mpg on mainly 30 & 40mph roads with 40miles on M-ways. We are quite light-footed in our driving style though.

Not sure how towing will affect these figures though?

Post #113818530th Jul 2013 10:05 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Welcome along.

Yes it is a fantastic tow car. You just need to remind yourself you have a caravan attached to the back of you.

Just need some photos now Thumbs Up

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #113821430th Jul 2013 10:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mcsimmo

Scotland 

As Andy says. Just put a sticker on your dashboard, or everytime you look in your rear view mirror you'll think someone is about to run into the back of you.
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #113830331st Jul 2013 7:43 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

One problem I have is after towing and the trailer/caravan/horse box has been taken off I still drive as if I still had it on Smile All other vehicles I have towed with after taking the trailer off it feels like I am driving a Ferrari Shocked
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #113832131st Jul 2013 8:39 am
TB2

It may be a while before I post any pictures....... we're off to Cornwall this weekend and then there's the small issue of working out how to post pictures.

Is there a camaraderie amongst D3 towers akin to that between Defender/Series drivers who acknowledge each other along the highway? I wouldn't want to wave at another D3 'Tin-tenter' only to be shunned! Embarassed

Tb2

Post #113856131st Jul 2013 7:46 pm
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Get yourself a forum sticker and you don't need to be tin tenting to be waved at Thumbs Up

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #113857031st Jul 2013 8:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRR207

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just check out the 'spotted' section to show we're all constantly on the look out for each other.

It a very special moment (How sad am I Confused ) the first time you see your own registration number on the forum.
 Nick

2010 D4 ....... now gone and replaced with a 05RRV Autobiography

Member of Wessex4x4Response, (Bristol team) 

Post #11386831st Aug 2013 7:12 am
TB2

For what they're worth, here are some stats from our first trip away with both the D3 and the 'van; a 1750kgs twin-axle.

D3 loaded with four people (2 x adults, 2 x teenagers) and two Labradors plus usual cabin luggage and awning plus a few bits 'n bobs.

Average towing mpg 22 but may have been better had the last/first 100 miles of the out/return journey not been across hilly Cornwall!

Average mpg around Cornwall solo:28mpg

Issues: none, other than picking up a slow puncture due to a nail in the r/n/s tyre. Pressures set at 32psi front and 36psi rear.

Towed like a dream. One thing I have noticed though is that the hitch head appears to chafe the breakaway cable slightly? certainly more chafing evident on one journey than in previous 6 years combined! It is a different towball (LR Alko approved) to what I used to use (non LR Alko approved on a DB shocklink attached to a 110) so am slightly bemused.

Managed the 320 mile journey from Cornwall to Kent via A303 in 6.5hrs travelling time + 1 hour comfort break on M3 services.

Overtook more 'heavies' on the M25 outbound journey between J3 and J10 than have managed in previous 6 years in total. Overtaking is now a viable option rather than having to follow vehicles for mile after mile.

Biggest problem: Can now hear the kids asking 'Are we nearly there yet?' A previously unknown phenomenon!

As an aside, a few weeks later we travelled to Birmingham via M25/M6/M42. Driving solo with four occupants and hand luggage, averaging 60mph we tipped 38.9mpg on the on-board trip computer and sat at 37.2mpg for most of the journey. On the way back, via M42/M25 only managed to reach 36.6mpg after many miles of 33.8mpg with the cruise control on.

I'll take the figures with a pinch of salt, but am delighted at those sort of figures Very Happy

Post #11541647th Sep 2013 8:13 pm
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Glad you are loving the car and the towing experience. Very Happy We did the Cornwall to Kent trip towing the tin tent the other week...and were stuck on the M25 for 2 1/2 hours because a Range Rover P38 went up in smoke. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad

All of that for one night at Detling to see my Daughter before driving back home to Lincoln...Via the Blackwall tunnel because the M25 was closed due to an accident. Big Cry
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #11550169th Sep 2013 8:09 pm
TB2

Ah! The M25 and A2/Blackwall tunnel. For years my daily commute. I take the train now, only takes 50mins plus a 15mins walk each end rather than the 90min - 180mins drive door to door. As the old 1970's/80's adverts said 'Let the train take the strain'!
Sorry that you got held up on the '25 though. If it's running it's not bad, but when it's playing up.......
TB2

Post #115580610th Sep 2013 11:24 pm
Mike_Hammond

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

TB2 wrote:
As an aside, a few weeks later we travelled to Birmingham via M25/M6/M42. Driving solo with four occupants and hand luggage, averaging 60mph we tipped 38.9mpg on the on-board trip computer and sat at 37.2mpg for most of the journey. On the way back, via M42/M25 only managed to reach 36.6mpg after many miles of 33.8mpg with the cruise control on.

How is this possible, are you a 95yr old nun ? Mr. Green

I've never seen over 29 and mines a manual ! Towing is around 24.

Post #115618411th Sep 2013 8:12 pm
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

TB2..

I used to drive into London via the Blackwall tunnel every weekday and Saturday for ten years until I saw the light and moved up here, best thing we ever did. I hate going down south nowadays and only do if I really need to. Very Happy
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #115683013th Sep 2013 3:59 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >