Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

throttle delay (again)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
throttle delay (again)

Sorry to bring this up again, but I have read loads of threads and can't get to the botom of what I want to find out.

I have a 57 plate (MY07? how do I tell?) manual which seems to suffer from the same pick-up issues described elsewhere - e.g. a 2 or 3 second delay when accelerating from rest.

- Is there a LR software update that addresses this? (e.g. do MY08 Disco's have a different mapping? And if so can I get it?)
- Is it a mapping issue or a component fault/failure anyway?
- Or is it uncurable?

I'm not interested in an after-market remap (yet!)

Thanks in advance!
 Andrew  
Post #5305676th Oct 2009 4:32 pm
al cope

England 

you get a slight throttle delay type affect when coming off the throttle, then back on again, caused by EGR recirculation (basically, cylinders full of exhaust crap instead of nice clean fuel/air mix), which is cured by blanking the EGR's off. I must say mine was much better after I did this, but I never saw any delay when accelerating from rest. Mine was a 55 plate (06 model manual)

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #5306156th Oct 2009 5:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crwoody

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've been complaining to the stealers about my 57 plate auto with intermittent slow throttle response. the techie took it out for a test drive and floored it from a standstill several times and came to the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with it.

Afterwards I started thinking a bit more about when the problem actually occurs and realised that it's always OK from a standstill, as Al says, it's when you, for example: - approach a road junction or roundabout, ease off the gas while assesing the traffic flow, just rolling, down to maybe 10 or 20 mph, then you spot a gap and give it the beans ~ bingo! nothing there for a couple of seconds, by which time the gap has closed and a very Censored ed of car driver is giving you hand signals (not the ones in the Highway Code!)

In fairness, the stealers did say if I was still unhappy with it, they would take it back in and check it over again, maybe see if there are any software updates that might improve it.

Looks like another job for when it goes in for the recalls, if they ever get around to it.
If that doesn't improve it I guess I'll be going down the EGR blanking route too.
 Clive

Post #5306936th Oct 2009 8:28 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I had terrible lag on mine, quick visit from TFC and a remap and lag is vitually eliminated.
Costly i know but for me it was worth every penny.
Can only comment on TT as I've not experienced the others. My best advice is to check who's got what remap either locally or when attending a SE meet, pay them a visit and see if you can have a quick blast.
My office is in Tongham, you're welcome to pop over had have a whizz up the 331 in mine. At least it will give you xn idea if yours is really as bad as you think ?
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #5307186th Oct 2009 8:59 pm
crwoody

Cheers for the offer Gary, I might just take you up on that in a few days.

It's always a problem with things like that, peoples descriptions of a problem differ and in any case are subjective, you start thinking - is it the car? is it just me? an I expecting too much? are they all like that?

It would be interesting to see how it compares.

I'll give you a call,
cheers,
Clive
 Clive

Post #5307266th Oct 2009 9:14 pm
Andrew Hebron

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

crwoody wrote:
Afterwards I started thinking a bit more about when the problem actually occurs and realised that it's always OK from a standstill, as Al says, it's when you, for example: - approach a road junction or roundabout, ease off the gas while assesing the traffic flow, just rolling, down to maybe 10 or 20 mph, then you spot a gap and give it the beans ~ bingo! nothing there for a couple of seconds, by which time the gap has closed and a very Censored ed of car driver is giving you hand signals (not the ones in the Highway Code!)

Hmmm, maybe that's what I'm thinking of - I'll have a play.

I was told that there were a couple of LR (re)mappings - one for MY07 and another for MY08. I'd still like to know if that is correct?
 Andrew  
Post #5307436th Oct 2009 9:35 pm
Femund

Norway 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Mine is a MY09 and had this delay.
Check out this topic http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic21467-75.html
 2009 HSE PP+ Galway Green  
Post #5308567th Oct 2009 6:20 am
Frapp

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

crwoody

I can relate to everything in your 1st post, mine is exactly the same as you describe.

Its bordering on f Censored g dangerous at times and no longer a nice drive.

Ray

Post #5310367th Oct 2009 3:03 pm
crwoody

Frapp wrote:
crwoody

... mine is exactly the same as you describe....

Ray

Well, I guess it's not just me then, (thought not Sad )

The post reply that al cope made about the effect of EGR immediately after deceleration makes a lot of sense.

I'm tempted to give the EGR blanking a try, the car's still under warranty and probably due in soon for the dreaded Vac pipe and Fuel pumps recalls but I might just stick my head under the bonnet and see if it's a quick job anyway, just to see how much difference it makes.
 Clive

Post #5310477th Oct 2009 3:20 pm
al cope

England 

frapp - you wait until you get an EGR fail completely - that's definately a dry cleaners moment.

The first one to fail on my old D3 started when I came down a motorway sliproad, and I eased off, then floored it to get in the traffic flow, and nothing happened. I lifted off, floored it again, and off it went. I thought it was a throttle issue. Had a couple of similar circumstances, but with a few weeks in between, so I still didnt twig what was happening....then, one saturday morning I was out with youngest daughter in the car, got to a roundabout, lifted, watching for the traffic gap, saw one and floored it - absolutely nothing happened, but the speed I was already carrying took me out into the traffic, so if I braked hard i was already out mid roundabout. Nothing would give me any acceleration. I tuned the ignition off (whilst waving a nicely as I could at the guy I'd now cut up), turned back on again, and of we went, but with quite a cloud of greyish smoke clearing behind us. Dealer replaced under warrenty, and the other one went about 3 months later, but I knew then what was happening. When I got it back, I blanked both of them off, and never saw this "lag" issue again in over 40k miles before swapping the car a month ago.

its a fairly easy job to do.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #5310517th Oct 2009 3:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Archeci

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi all.

We have a 55 reg which I have noticed over the last couple of weeks is seeming more sluggish, especially from a standing start. Its like a delay between pressing the pedal and something happening.

Its is more noticeable in first gear but its present in other gears.

I am under the belief that it is likely to be the EGR valves from what I have read on here.

I am considering blanking off the EGR valves and wondering if anyone can advise whether that would be a wise move?

Cheers

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Remember laughing or smiling confuses the management. 

Post #53336012th Oct 2009 2:46 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Wise Move? who knows. I have the bits to blank mine as I have a little hesitation of late, and with the EGR's troublesome at times, and the cost to replace, and if there is still short supply(not sure), I think for me, I may as well have a go at blanking.

Not such a straight forward procedure though, not only do you need to blank them, but remove the butterfly valve in the induction, which is why so far I have'nt continued Whistle

Post #53336412th Oct 2009 2:55 pm
Discofever

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I suffered the 'lag factor' as well, so much so it seemed damn dangerous at times. Dropped it off at the dealers and under warranty had the EGR's replaced. Problem solved, instant take up from a standstill, in fact all gear changes are so much smoother no hesitation whatsoever. A friend of mine had his D3 blanked, it seemed to help but as far as I could determine did not really cure the problem. I hope this helps.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE auto, Cairns Blue, Lamp Guards, LR Roof Bars - Just love it!
Club AT2 

Post #53350212th Oct 2009 6:44 pm
NIDisco3

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Any ideas where I can purchase the EGR Blanking plates?

Post #53385913th Oct 2009 11:46 am
simonsi

New Zealand 

MacLeod 313 wrote:
Not such a straight forward procedure though, not only do you need to blank them, but remove the butterfly valve in the induction, which is why so far I have'nt continued Whistle

You'll much improve things by just blanking the EGRs, further improvement by removing the butterfly but you don't have to. In fact on mine I removed the butterfly first - much easier than blanking - and there was a very noticeable improvement as good air can still then get in even with the EGRs open. Each mod stands on its own feet so can be done independently.
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #53386513th Oct 2009 12:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >