Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Tips & Tricks

Thule roofbars to Discovery 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Rencolyn

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

After all said & done.... I sat down with a beer and checked out the installation. Much to my disgust Big Cry I realized that it would have been a very simple matter to mount the RR without the Thule foot kit system. Very simple to have manufactured the plate & bolt which slides into the roof track and then bolt the Thule bars directly onto that. One can use any amount of spacers if you require the RR to be raised. That would have saved me the R1,600 (GBP 105) Yawn
Oh well, maybe this idea can be used by other members. Give me a pm if you need pics or dimensions.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #2676534th Mar 2008 12:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rencolyn

Ok, decided to sell the Thule mounting kits (dealer would not refund!) Anyone interested in a good deal? PM or email me
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #2680925th Mar 2008 9:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

You can fit Thule roof mounted bike carriers on the Land Rover cross bars. I had a complete Thule set up with my previous car including 3 of the basic Thule bike carriers. What you need is a mounting kit for the cycle carrier for attaching to wide bars. Basically it's a bolt with a large square head which replaces the normal things which clamp round the Thule bars. You take the rubber channel filler out and slide the bolt into the open channel in the top of the LR roofbar. Sorry can't remember the part names or numbers but have a look at the Roof Box company website. Ive got 3 relatively heavy bikes and no problems so far. Of course getting your bikes up there is another matter but the cost of a tow bar plus rear rack would have cost more than our bikes. The real problem is the fact that the LR bars only slide into the roof channels at a couple of points so you cant keep the whole lot assembled and drop staroight ontothe roof when you need them.

Post #28813917th Apr 2008 7:04 pm
nigelc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

OK I've checked - I've got Thule 530 bike carriers and to fit to the LR bars you need the T track aerobar adaptor kit.

Post #28814317th Apr 2008 7:10 pm
nigelc

OK I've checked - I've got Thule 530 bike carriers and to fit to the LR bars you need the T track aerobar adaptor kit.

Post #28815017th Apr 2008 7:34 pm
Rencolyn

Nigel, would you think that the square plate is made from anything other than mild steel? Bearing in mind that the entire fitting albeit bike carrier or roof rack, depends solely on the strength of that plate. If it bends & pops out your load is left on the road behind you!

I have held back on doing it myself for this reason. Need more info first.
 Ren Colyn
TDV6 HSE 

Post #28833318th Apr 2008 2:34 am
nigelc

I think its stronger than mild steel - they're quite chunky (and quite expensive!) I had the same concern but no problems. I presume Thule have tested them with far more load than the weight of bike + carrier. Actually I would have more concerns about the thickness of the metal around the channel in the bar

Post #28841218th Apr 2008 10:14 am
Ajpf5

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

nigelc wrote:

There are 3 different sizes - please can anyone let me know the measurements, cheers all Wink

Post #113531223rd Jul 2013 10:36 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >