Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

What tie-rod ends? Land rover or else?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ktm_525

Canada 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Ipanema SandLR4
What tie-rod ends? Land rover or else?

My 2006 LR# HSE needs some new tie rod ends. If I have been reading correctly this seems to be a common issue. Any recommendations on replacements? Atlantic British has some OEM at reasonable cost. Is there better?

Post #66131716th Jun 2010 4:15 pm
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

cant advise on outer, but my inner tie rod joints went before the outers, so I would change these at the same time. This will also give you the added benefit of copying the length settings if you use some kind of measuring jig, thus saving you money on having to have tracking performed. Not to mention it becomes an easier job. Thumbs Up

Post #66141016th Jun 2010 8:52 pm
ktm_525

Interesting. I always thought the inners were hard to replace (most of my experience are Volvos) and required steering box removal. Are the inner tie rods on the Disco III easy to replace? I better have a look and see what is loose before ordering. Anyone have a DIY?.

Post #66151717th Jun 2010 12:22 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ZF make a lot of parts including the bushes. Maybe they would be cheaper direct.

www.zf.com

http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/products/re...talog.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #66153417th Jun 2010 1:43 am
ktm_525

Had a quick this look this evening. If I grab the tire at 3 and 9 and rock back and forth I can feel a little movement but not much. At 12 and 6 everything feels tight. This points to tie rods correct? I took the wheel off and tried to move the rod but could see nor hear any noticeable play. By the looks of replacing the inner/outer wwill be straightforward. The hardest part may be recliping the protective boot on the inside. It looks like just a heavy duty zip tie works for this.

Post #66154017th Jun 2010 3:21 am
Iain G

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Yes I used a zip tie. If you pull the boot away the connection is easily accessible. I've changed inner tie rods on other cars and space is not normally there to undo the connection without removing the lower wishbone or similar.

The best way to dect a fooked ball joint is get a friend to wobble the wheel (jacked up of course) at your stated 3 and 9 O'clock positions. You put your hand over the ball joint so you can feel both sides of the joint. Any movement will be felt with what seems great magnification - try it Thumbs Up

Post #66185417th Jun 2010 8:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >