DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Time to change?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Archeci

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Time to change?

Hi all

Ive been the proud owner of our Discovery 3 TDV6 S for the last 3 years its now the longest I have ever had any car. It was bought a little over 3 years old and beneath its personal plate its a 55 plate vehicle bought specifically for the lower road tax. Despite original plans to be used to tow a horse box this has never happened and we feel is now unlikely to.

Generally its been a very good car, sure its a Land Rover and has had its problems but I'm now wondering about selling up and changing to a used Freelander 2. My Discovery recently had the 105,000 / 7 year service done at a Land Rover service agent along with new rear brake pipes and a couple of other things - its not actually 7 until October this year and only has 87,000 miles.

I'm struggling to justify £110 for a tank of diesel, and only returning in the region of 25 MPG, in the last year its only covered around 7000 miles spending most of its time parked in my workshop. I'm seriously considering selling privately hoping to raise enough to purchase good Freelander 2 which would be sufficient for the two of us and the dogs.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions.

Cheers

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Remember laughing or smiling confuses the management. 

Last edited by Archeci on 24th Jun 2012 8:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #94632724th Jun 2012 2:20 pm
InnuendoMaster

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Yes I agree with you're thinking. I have a D4 used quite a lot as a tow vehicle, it replaced my XC90 and already I've noticed a huge difference in running costs. I've even had to extend my credit limit on my fuel card to cover the D4 thirst.

Will I buy another, definately not. Plenty of vehicles can tow brilliantly at a fraction of the cost I'm currently finding.

Post #94632824th Jun 2012 2:29 pm
ebygum32

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Lee I am nearly in the same boat as you bought the D3 two years ago for one specific purpose but if I change jobs soon I will not need it, although I like the look and capability of the D3 I cannot continue to justify £110 per fill every week/sometimes twice a week.

It is booked in for the timing belt change this week also water pump and idle rollers ( supplied by TLO cheers nick) Thumbs Up It has also just had service plus new front hub and bearing + replaced all brake discs, pads and sensors last week. Last year it was all brake lines and both front arms plus new tyres all round. now the gearbox is juddering a little on pickup so I think a mega flush is on the cards. Big Cry More money.

I know these are running costs but what with everything going up except pay even if I save £100 a month on fuel it's still worth it, that's why I am thinking of a FL2 also.

I am fortunate though as my wife has one a 57 plate GS and to be honest I like the drive better than the D3 it's more smooth and the gearbox is spot on albet a manual Crying or Very sad So I think I will be changing soon hopefully.

Depending on where you are lee if you wanna pop round and have a look/test drive FL2 you are more than welcome Thumbs Up
 Goodyear Duratracs
Pirelli ATR gone
GG AT Gone
RLD Spare wheel protector
Leeds - London weekly return
Club ctek mxs10
Yorkshire 4x4 Response 

Post #94634124th Jun 2012 3:40 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

I have had 2 FL2's and think they are great Bow down

Much better than the RRS I bought after and half the price Big Cry
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #94634424th Jun 2012 3:46 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

It certainly makes a difference to my bank balance getting mid 40s mpg cf mid 20s. Smile

Post #94635424th Jun 2012 4:01 pm
Archeci

Seems most agree with my points. Mines just had new pads all round did them prior to service to save a few quid. The question is I suppose what I'd want for my discovery and what I could actually get for it. I've been having a bit of a look and I think I'd be happy with a Freelander 2 SE spec would compare nicely to my Discovery.

Part of the problem is after what wasnt a cheap service along with other parts at the back of my mind is what's next to go. In an ideal world I'd keep the Disco.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #94646424th Jun 2012 8:11 pm
Archeci

Well three months on I still find myself seriously considering selling the D3 and changing to an FL2.

My D3 is 7 years old next month, and on 89,600 miles its a 55 plate currently on my personal plate. It had the big service done in June this year which included new water pump. Lower arms refurbished with new bushes and ball joints along with new track rod ends.

I have owned the car for a little over three years and in that time its been maintained regardless of cost. I have a figure in mind of what I'd want for the car. I'm interested to know what you guys think would be a fair price to ask for the car.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #97993421st Sep 2012 4:29 pm
SHARKYSHARKS

England 

Just had a text from Williams Land Rover 0% apr on 2012 Freelander 2 offer ends 30 Sept Thumbs Up Worth a look if ya fancy a trade in Very Happy
 MY18 D5 HSE LUX😎
MY12 Freelander SD4 HSE
44 Tonne 12 Litre 6x2 Scania T cab (Current)
Freelander 1 (Wrote off 😫)
Ex D1
Ex D2 GS
Ex V8 D2 GS
Ex D3 S
Ex D4 GS
Club skip ya lockers !!!
Club BAS remote heater !!
Club Duratrac
Club Phillips DRL
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 1
Club Prospeed Rack Mk 2
Club Sankey
Club RLD spare wheel protector

Post #97994421st Sep 2012 4:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Archeci

Cheers

As much as that sounds good the D3 is mine bought and paid for since the day I got it, I'd be looking for a used FL2 with funds from the sale of the D3.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #97996021st Sep 2012 5:18 pm
fat bloke

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Servicing costs arn't much cheaper than a D3.

Post #97997121st Sep 2012 5:42 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Same dilemma. I've owned mine over 7 1/2 years. Never owned a car this long and best car by miles.

I totted up my costs doing 17,000 miles a year and it scared the wits out of me! Seriously looking at a Skoda Superb 4x4 170 tdi estate! Buying it and running it will save me over £1800 a year.

I've had many, many great cars and have lost humongous amounts of money in deprecation and running costs. 2 sets of school fees, uni costs and me wanting to retire at 50 = cheaper car. But it really is a tough call because my old bus is just purring along. I've also just had her serviced with new brakes and bushes fitted.

Wallet says change, heart says keep. Confused

Post #97999121st Sep 2012 6:07 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had this conversation with rellies and others many times.

If you don't need 7 seats, huge space, excellent off road capability etc then there isn't much point in a D3/4 unless you have money to burn. Driving round in 3t of car is just silly. An F2 will do a better and cheaper job for most people.

Thumbs Up
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #98000421st Sep 2012 6:28 pm
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you feel like changing, then see what S manual's are making on auto trader or such as that will likely be a major factor.

Imo, it's better the devil you know. If you have paid out for wear and tear item's, then they wont need done.

Yes a freeby will be cheaper, but will still need brakes, tyres, servicing, wear and tear item's replaced.

It's you're cash, where do you want it to go to?

Post #98002621st Sep 2012 7:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >