Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Tiniest issue? Is it me being pedantic??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

mines had the TSB done and although it seems better under normal conditions, its still a bit hesitant towing the caravan , but only when changing from 2nd to 1st and on a steep incline. it seems to think it can do it in second gear, but then crawls away. solution is to floor it or knock it to first manually.

still needs a bit of work on the software IMO
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #11386981st Aug 2013 7:48 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Sounds like it was programmed by my wife. On her second Puma defender and still forgets it has 6 forward gears Rolling Eyes
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #11387001st Aug 2013 7:58 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

But does she use the 'bumpers' in the literal sense? Very Happy

Post #11387121st Aug 2013 8:29 am
Billy B

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi All,

Had a little chat with a gearbox boffin a few weeks ago, who enquired how I was getting on with my new 8 speed box. I mentioned exactly what has been said here on this subject, but with a very gently touch and a bit of fore thought I have been getting away with the hesitation and it hasn't been to much of an issue.

The boffin explained that it is really setup like this.

In lay-mans terms: The auto box on changing down drops from top gear 8 (or the gear it was last running in) to second giving drivers a sort of un-wanted hesitant kick down. It does not change down in an orderly fashion like the 6 speed. The soft ware update may alter this slightly but may give a more sluggish response.

This is only here-say so please do not quote this as being correct.

My Disco 4 also falls into the batch that requires the update.

Bill
 Nothing is foolproof as the ingenuity of fools is endless.

2012 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury 

Post #11387831st Aug 2013 11:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
trebaix

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

There can be another factor that creates this massive flat spot/turbo lag like response. If you have an occasional habit, say when slowly drifting up to a junction or roundabout, of gently checking the brake pedal with the left foot and then, upon seeing a gap, you hit the throttle with your right foot a millisecond before lifting your left foot off the brake pedal then the electronics will not allow full throttle to be applied for a short time. You can reproduce this on a clear road, at say 15 mph, brake down to a rolling speed and then deliberately apply full throttle and only then then come off the brake. The electronics will not allow the throttle to open immediately when the brakes are released.. That can be one cause of the delay. It seems to me its stupid nanny state electronics that have been created to stop stupid drivers abusing the vehicle, but the consequence is to create another danger. I guess I can accept the principle of the set up but I cannot understand why there is such a delay built into the system.

Colin

Post #11408736th Aug 2013 11:03 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

If there are any JLR gearbox reprogrammers reading these forums what it actually needs at lower speeds is to delay changing up when the driver lifts off....subsequent to posting the first comment a few days back I've been trying to decipher what is actually going wrong...
What I've found is probably more common on a single carriageway with parked cars obstructing your passage (no comments thank you) such as that given the typical village, is that you tend to roll up towards the parked car timing your subsequent pass with the vehicles coming towards you. In an endeavour to drive smoothly you are holding back your speed to let the car pass and intend to squeeze the accelerator once said car is past smoothly.. What the car has actually done in the slowing down role has been to change up (presumably for economy) but then as you gently accelerate away the car finds itself in between gears with the driver demanding power....because of the software it snaps it into a lower gear and hence gives you the uncomfortable ride.. In the perfect world I want the car to be in the same original gear as entry to the hazard to accelerate smoothly past and not having changed up as my entry speed remains almost unchanged...
I suppose its a pay off against getting a 2.7 tonne car to deliver 31mpg!!
Still brilliant car though except for the whiplash I'm starting to suffer from because of the down changes!!!

Post #11409257th Aug 2013 7:40 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >