Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Tiniest issue? Is it me being pedantic??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Tiniest issue? Is it me being pedantic??

I've now driven my 13 plate HSE Lux for over 12,500 fault free miles and am totally in love with it... It has the incredible ability to swallow huge miles yet I still emerge from a long journey feeling totally refreshed..
I'm about to consider putting it in for its first service and am trying to decide whether it is just me that is being overly critical or whether other people's cars do the same thing??
it's fitted with the new 8 speed auto box which overall is fantastic however sometimes it leaves me feeling wanting. occasionally rolling into a roundabout you start to squeeze on the accelator to gradually merge with the traffic... What happens next is that nothing happens and now judging the closing traffic you have a billisecond of doubt and as a result squeeze a bit harder on the accelator. This results in a jerky downchange and the car snapping forward.... Not how you intended...

Anyone else experienced this?

Post #113822530th Jul 2013 10:46 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Well documented,and there is a software fix for the gearbox.......search "hesitation" Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #113823130th Jul 2013 10:51 pm
Farmer Chalk

Top man... Just checked my VIN and its just within this range... will mention it at service now then.... So minor issue but just sometimes leaving you a little angst when it hasn't picked up.... And hesitation is probably the best description however minor!
regards Smile

Post #113823430th Jul 2013 10:58 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is doing this. I plan to get the software fix done next time it goes to the dealer. DG has had his done already, and was telling me it seems to be slightly better.

Post #113823630th Jul 2013 10:59 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #113823930th Jul 2013 11:01 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The software update makes the box far more responsive but I have to say that it is also means it's slightly less refined ....not enough to make you want to go back but it's "there". You can't have the penny and the bun I guess Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #113824530th Jul 2013 11:13 pm
Farmer Chalk

It's bizarre ... That's why I thought it was just me ....you don't want it to change down as you come off the power and reapply power by squeezing it on but it leaves you almost with no gears... Tiny panic moment and then bang it seems to do a vicious (unnecessary) downchange which is not very comfortable.... It's almost like the early BMW brake assist which used to change down going downhill just when you didn't want it!
I don't actually want it to downchange just smoothly reapply power in the same gear... It's almost as if it loses itself between gears.

Post #113825130th Jul 2013 11:24 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

To be fair I didn't feel I had the problem to begin with but had the software update to see if there was any difference ...there is a positive difference in response but as said with a minor compromise in refinement Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #113825430th Jul 2013 11:27 pm
Farmer Chalk

Thanks for your replies.... It isn't just me and I will ask for the update to be downloaded when serviced.... It is minor but just needs that little tweak!

Post #113825830th Jul 2013 11:30 pm
Paul White

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Re: Tiniest issue? Is it me being pedantic??

Farmer Chalk wrote:
I've now driven my 13 plate HSE Lux for over 12,500 fault free miles and am totally in love with it... It has the incredible ability to swallow huge miles yet I still emerge from a long journey feeling totally refreshed..
I'm about to consider putting it in for its first service and am trying to decide whether it is just me that is being overly critical or whether other people's cars do the same thing??
it's fitted with the new 8 speed auto box which overall is fantastic however sometimes it leaves me feeling wanting. occasionally rolling into a roundabout you start to squeeze on the accelator to gradually merge with the traffic... What happens next is that nothing happens and now judging the closing traffic you have a billisecond of doubt and as a result squeeze a bit harder on the accelator. This results in a jerky downchange and the car snapping forward.... Not how you intended...

Anyone else experienced this?

Go to "Land Rover Customer Relations" on this forum and scroll down to the Hesitation topic....all will be revealed!! Make sure the Dealer updates with the correct software for your VIN number.

Paul
 2014 Face Lift D4 HSE Aintree Green
2012 D4 HSE Aintree Green Gone
2011 D4 XS Galway Green Gone 

Post #113836131st Jul 2013 10:10 am
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

Had the software update done on mine several weeks ago, problem still there, update did little if anything to solve the problem !

Couldn't live with the problem anymore, car sold, just ruined an overall good car in my opinion!

I believe people are starting to complain about the latest Range Rover with the 3.0 engine and same box, so the problem isn't going away soon ............ LR Evil or Very Mad

Post #113836731st Jul 2013 10:46 am
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
To be fair I didn't feel I had the problem to begin with but had the software update to see if there was any difference ...there is a positive difference in response but as said with a minor compromise in refinement Smile

very magnanimous DG

does this mean we were not rubbish drivers as you previously postulated and in fact it was you who was rubbish Rolling with laughter

no apology required old boy
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #113837031st Jul 2013 11:06 am
Dave T

England 

Peely wrote:
Had the software update done on mine several weeks ago, problem still there, update did little if anything to solve the problem !

Had it done twice now, still not convinced, back in for a service shortly so will get them to investigate further
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #113839831st Jul 2013 12:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Worked for me so far, albeit only a week and a half.

Did find the gear change rough initially, and also an increase in fuel consumption, but it has settled down now. Did notice it'll hold gears more than it did before.

Post #113842331st Jul 2013 1:46 pm
agreiguk

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I collected mine in April and it never suffered from the hesitancy issue until they tried to fix a faulty DPF sensor and hard reset the computer. When I got it back I could have used a calendar to time the delay so put it in for the update to be applied. That has since made it less of an issue however I still close my eyes when joining traffic (not really your honour). Couple of times I've actually screamed at the car to figure it out already.

They need to make a better fix available before someone has an accident.

Post #11386681st Aug 2013 12:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >