Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Tintent advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
blue_manc

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Tintent advice

Looking at a new Bailey Pegasus Ancona or scouting around to see what is nearly new with some kit included.

New to caravanning a few questions from the experienced people out there:

- To set up from new for all the essentials (aquaroll etc) how much should we budget?

- We are budgeting around £300 pa for insurance - sound reasonable?

- To awning or not to awning?

- What would be the key considerations for a total newbie to the caravanning world?

Post #82578414th Aug 2011 11:58 pm
bambi

England 

Ho there, £300 for insurance should be about ok, make sure you join one of the main clubs ccc or cc you get better rates on yer insurance, if yer buy new try and get em to through in waste master aquaroll, battery, etc, you will need mirrors and make sure you get a spare tyre ( not always included)

an awning for me is a must have and not a little porch awning either, get a full one but again budget for about 1K for a new one to suit the caravan size.

Or buy a caravan secondhand and more than likely you will get all the stuff and more included.

Post #82579815th Aug 2011 6:00 am
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Like Bambi says, if buying from a dealer try and get the essentials thrown in, if buying second hand, look on ebay, there are some almost new full set ups on there where sellers are moving on after the summer hols... A spare wheel is essential... How many vans/trailers have you seen stranded because of no spare....

In regards to awnings, one of the key factors is how long your trips are, if its only a weekend then a porch awning is ideal, they take about 15 mins to set up, whereas a full awning could take upto half a day, and would suit longer breaks.....
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #82580715th Aug 2011 7:17 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Try Campbell's in Preston they have always come up trump on price, service poor but price he's on a new van has always been the best anywhere. As a result we have made a round trip of 750 miles for our last three vans. As for kit, battery about 130, aquatic roll and waste about 150 the pair. Awning again depends on how long and what it is used for, we have both. Full for main breaks and porch for short weekends.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #82580815th Aug 2011 7:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
buellbeast

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The amount you spend on all those little bits can soon add up so try and get dealer to include a lot of them if you can. A secondhand buy could turn out better value as you often get a lot included and all the "niggles" will have been sorted!

Around £300 for insurance is about right depending on where you intend to store it when not in use etc.

I,ll have an 18mth old Pegasus 646 for sale with all the kit in about a months time. It's the same layout as the anaconda but twin axle so a little more internal room. I also find it a little more stable to tow, in fact I've recently towed in through the alps and almost forgot it was there!
 Club Forum Criminal !!!  
Post #82580915th Aug 2011 7:27 am
mzplcg

England 

Some good advice above; a secondhand van will only include all the essentials if the seller is giving up caravanning, otherwise they'll keep if for their next van.

Buying from a dealer is probably better as a newbie for several reasons. You will get the warranty which is well worth having, caravans do have niggles, you can negotiate a starter kit which would include the essentials like an Aquaroll, waste carrier, bog chemicals, hitchlock, wheel clamp, battery for the van, and so on. The dealer will also service the thing before handover.

Towball. If you have the LR swan neck removeable unit then no issues. If you have the height adjustable unit with a bolt on towball then you will need an AL-KO towball. Bailey vans are on the AL-KO chassis and modern ones have the 3004 hitch which needs the proper AL-KO towball for clearance purposes.

Towing electrics. 13 pin or dual 7 pin plugs? A simple point but don't use a converting cable, they're a royal PITA. 13 pin is the modern way and a much better solution. All vans made since about 2008 are made with this. You can get a small converting block to tow small trailers etc. About a tenner in Hellfrauds.

Storage is another consideration, will you be storing at home? If so, invest in the best security you can and use multiple items as well. Tracker is a good thing to have as well. If you are going to use a storage facility then go for a CASSOA gold or silver place. I use a gold rated one which costs 400 quid a year. It also lowered my insurance from just over 500 quid to 350 quid a year as well. (Twin axles are proper Censored magnets so security is really important)

Awnings. As said above, full awnings are hard work and porches are less so but have less room. I found the best compromise was the Isabella Magnum. Good size but not too onerous to erect. Damn good quality too, most would say the best. Look for a good secondhand one - I paid 500 quid for a 2 year old one in perfect condition. New they're about a grand.

Join one (or both) of the main clubs since this will give you access to a lot of sites and also knowledge. Try a local site for your first outing so you can nip home if needs be. Subscribe to a decent magazine, I take Practical Caravan since offers, technical articles etc are all in there. Also worth going to will be the show at the NEC in October. Offers and stuff etc, all gives you ideas on what might appeal to you.

Oh, CADAC Carri-Chef. Gas barbie, excellent quality, easy to clean and plugs into the side of the van (no seperate gas bottle) and lots of fun with the cooking. Keeps the smells outside as well.

Best of luck. Dom.

Post #82581015th Aug 2011 7:45 am
blue_manc

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Great stuff - keep that advice coming!

buellbeast - will keep my eyes peeled, may be of interest to me! Forum special discount? Whistle

Post #82608115th Aug 2011 11:39 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I'll second the Cadac barby, it really is a great thing to have when caravanning.

I can put our full size awning with a little help from swmbo, in about an hour. It's taken much practice to get it down to the hour though, and I would not even attempt to put it up if its windy or raining.

If you get a large or twin axle caravan, get one with a motor mover fitted. If you have to manoeuvre it into tight spots its so easy.

Post #82611816th Aug 2011 8:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >