Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tomtom 910
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
BrianW

Hi, did you hardwire in the connections to the stereo and the power? If so could you give me some details on how you did this?

I have the 910 too and have been plugging it into the aux input behind the centre cubby box etc, but its too untidy so I was planning to do exactly what you've described.

How did you fix the tomtom bracket into the satnav space? (after you took off the rubber suction bit)

thanks,
Brian.

Post #758834th Aug 2006 1:21 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I had the opportunity at the weekend to try my 510 in a friends car, I have found that by using the home dock supplied with the TomTom it will fit inside the cubby hole perfectley. All I will have to do is make a small wedge to fit under the home dock to get the angle of the screen right. the base can then be fixed down with double sided tape or similar and a hole cut in the rubber mat to fit around the home dock. Then it is simply a matter of wiring it up to the power supply.

Post #762247th Aug 2006 9:49 am
rak40

Brian,
I also used the aux-input behind the centre cubby box. I was not game enough to take out the entire stereo-system. I also used the standard cigarette adaptor from tomtom. I did however hide the cables behind the dash and they come out from the bottom, the power than plugs into the power socket and the aux cables runs to the back of the cubby box. The whole thing looks very neat.

Post #769339th Aug 2006 4:12 am
dc-99

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

Just caught your post on mounting sat nav in the D3

Have you looked at the BRODIT mounts?

I have an after market sat nav and mount it on a clip manufactured by Brodit (a pro clip I belive it is called).

It won't go in the place the factor fit nave is, but it saves drilling holes on the car.

I haven't got a D3 yet (very close to pouncing on a new one - I hope). But in my Peugeot 407 I have a proclip and it makes a fantastic job of the sat nav.

Also I see that they have mounts that you can leave the power cable permanently connected to the mout even when you remove the unit as an anti theft measure (remove it from the mount.

I am unsure if this is available for your unit, but I am about to upgrade my sat nav for a Garmin Nuve and have checked that they do one for this model.

If anything else it will give you other options.

DC-99

PS if you cant find an online supplier, let me know and I will forward vendor addresses in the UK - you can't purchase from the manufactures web site.

Post #7742210th Aug 2006 8:47 pm
simkna

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

See this thread for a good Nuvi mount. I can give you more details if interested.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic5618.html

Si.
 Pat's Van
D3 TDV6 S Auto
Rimini Red / Alpacca Leather

Post #7743010th Aug 2006 9:58 pm
rak40

Finally work out how to post pictures. Here is how I installed the tomtom 910. Everything works perfect;

Post #7845515th Aug 2006 8:32 am
pete57

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I have just bought a Tom Tom 910. In my opinion it would look silly if you were try to fix it in the the space where a factory fitted sat nav would go. The unit is fairly small and would have loads of space around it. Also my unit has frozen a couple of times (like your homePC) and you need to reset it. The reset button is on the bottom right next to the connection socket on the Tom Tom .This would be unaccessable if mounted in the dash. On a security point of view I would have thought it better to take the unit out of the car when parked up. Using the conventional suction fitting would make this possible. If it was mounted in the dash I presume the Tom Tom would stay in the car when unattended. Thieves may identify the unit as a Tom Tom and not a factory fitted unit and would probably rip it out as it is saleable.
Fantastic bit of kit though. I have just used it driving around France and Spain covering 4000 miles. Wouldn't have done without it.Better than my wife because she can't map read.
 D3 Buckingham Blue SE Auto
BMW 325i Convertible
Fiesta 1.4 Zetec
Fiesta1.4TDCi 

Post #7924417th Aug 2006 10:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

simkna wrote:
See this thread for a good Nuvi mount. I can give you more details if interested.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic5618.html

Si.

Si... so do you rate the Garmin as a good piece of kit then ? Any issues with reception down there in the cup holder ?

Oh.. and where do you keep your Starbucks now ?

Post #7928417th Aug 2006 11:50 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

pete57 wrote:
I have just bought a Tom Tom 910. In my opinion it would look silly if you were try to fix it in the the space where a factory fitted sat nav would go. The unit is fairly small and would have loads of space around it. Also my unit has frozen a couple of times (like your homePC) and you need to reset it. The reset button is on the bottom right next to the connection socket on the Tom Tom .This would be unaccessable if mounted in the dash. On a security point of view I would have thought it better to take the unit out of the car when parked up. Using the conventional suction fitting would make this possible. If it was mounted in the dash I presume the Tom Tom would stay in the car when unattended.

The way I suggested fitting mine was by using the home dock and fixing that down to the base. That way the tomtom can easily be removed by pressing the release button and lifting it up slightly.

Post #7947819th Aug 2006 12:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >