Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Software] Sat Nav Altimeter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

We work a lot around Munich. Garchin, Ansheim, Erdingen and my project Mauerstetten near Kaufbeuren.
It is a nice area to work. Nice big glasses for a reasonable price and if I have a day off in the winter I just go South for some paid skiing. Mr. Green
So if you see a Dutch G4 passing by It is probably me.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #47217426th May 2009 7:02 am
viethson

Germany 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

I´ll keep watching for you Very Happy
If you see a grey D3 with a HB numberplate it´s probably me as HB normaly is my hometown Bremen, so there shouldn´t be so many around Munich Mr. Green
 Life in the slow lane  
Post #47234726th May 2009 3:35 pm
mac.marty

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

would be interesting to see:

if you change the region in the cars config file (country would define how "flat" the earth is at this point) - do the height values get any better....

or

if you find a hill near the equator - do the LR values get any better....

or

are the Garmin values any good at the equator

and so on...

Martin

Post #48875129th Jun 2009 6:31 pm
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I had my Garmin with me in Nigeria It showed sea level at +25 m. I was on the back off a supply vessel so the Garmin was maybe 3m above sea level.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #49483013th Jul 2009 7:42 am
AWD man

England 

I'm a surveyor and use GNSS.. Global Navigation Satilite System (NOT called GPS anymore, that's solely the name of the USA owned constilation)

We have used L1 and L2 signals for many years to overcome the USA's intential lowering of accuracy (We were chasing sub 30mm in level and sub 20mm in height). This was using two recievers in tandum, and alot of cleaver maths later we could obtain these accuracys.

We're now looking at L5 (In the next 4 years it'll be live) Used by the newer constitaions

The Chinese (Compass, L1,2 & 5), the Europians (Galileo L1, 2 & 5) the Rusians (Glonass L1 & L2) and of course the US of A (GPS L1 & L2) all have satilites up there, with Glonass and GPS currently being of any use, Compass and Galileo will up and running in the next 4 or so years... Compass most likely 1st, with the reccession'd Europeans following slowly.

A bit of Global Satilite Systems history for you. Thumbs Up
 57 RRS TDV8
BAS Map
D3: Gone but not forgotten 

Post #5603964th Dec 2009 11:06 am
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Think the Land Rover compass display shows geographic north.

My readng of the Sat Nav display here in Western Canada where the magnetic variation is about 20 degrees East, (means true geographic north reads about 340 degrees magnetic on a compass), is that the Land Rover display shows true north.

Where the display gets the true north direction from I do not know for certain, however I assume it is from the GPS/GNSS signal, and not the map.

As to elevation, yes it is off , probably +or- 200 feet and why I do not know, other than I assume Land Rover does not think it matters. My small cheap portable GPS seems to know what I would consider to be the correct elevation +or - 50 feet.

I wonder what the D4 displays show - they should be newer technology so ...
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #65146920th May 2010 8:24 pm
01coccobet

Italy 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

may be it's the magnetic variation?!? Question
 figuring it out!!!!
the best feeling:getting airborne. 

Post #65164421st May 2010 11:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbyer

Six year old technology perhaps?

I think we have to remember that the sat nav technology on the 3 is probably at least six years older than todays products. I expect that back in 2002/3 when Land Rover/BMW was putting together the 3, that GPS technology on low cost product was not too advanced.

That is why I wonder if there has been any accuracy improvement with the D4 sat nav?

...and I doubt it has anything to do with magnetic variation - that has been understood for a fair while now and GPS has nothing to do with magnets - that is somewhat older technology.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #65172821st May 2010 1:56 pm
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Elevation accuracy is always much lower on GPS - presumably to do with low angle to satellites giving much greater variations in path length (signal timing) for horizontal changes than vertical. If you look at something like Sport Tracks (which I use for pulling info from multiple GPS trackers) one of the add ons corrects elevaation using mapping data!

Post #65180521st May 2010 6:30 pm
Salty Spuds

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

GPS plotters, receivers etc can use 2 different methods of calculating altitude. If the built in map has elevation data embedded in it, the GPS will use that to give altitude display i.e the GPS knows where it it (obviously!) it looks at the map & reads off the elevation for the position, just like we do when we use paper maps. This could account for the 10m increments on the LR system, it's reading the contours. This will obviously give an altitude reading which corresponds with what we assume we know, but it is only as accurate as the embedded map data. The other method is the aforementioned system of using satellite geometry to calc. altitude. The GPS needs a 3D fix to do this with good spacing of the visible satellites, unless you are in a wide open space with a clear 360 deg. view of the horizon this method ain't so accurate. This system is typically used by handheld GPS receivers that dont have mapping capabilities. All that being said, I don't know which system the LR satnav uses. Judging by the consistent inaccuracy I'd guess it's the embedded map data method & that the map is wrong (as already mentioned a couple of times Whistle )or there is an issue with the map datum.

Last edited by Salty Spuds on 26th May 2010 7:22 am. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #65291125th May 2010 4:27 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Quote:
There is only one GPS public system, and as uncle sam doesn’t charge, he can do what he likes with it

This is not true, the UK military has it's own highly accurate system in use 8)

my daughter flies Tornado's in the RAF, so I have an 'inside' source

Now I'll have to have you all shot Rolling Eyes
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #65297725th May 2010 7:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bbyer

Public means I can buy a ticket?

By public, I supose that I could then purchase a ticket from the RAF and get a ride to say Charles de Gaulle via Tornado? (Well France is back in NORAD now!). I know it may be difficult but taking BA out of Heathrow this week is a bit of a challange as well.

Re the elevation thing, the datum being wrong is an interesting idea. It is one of those details that techs tend to forget about.

I gather there are a Pride? of Jaguars sitting on the docks in New York right now that are grounded as the radio software is an unfortunate combination of 128K and 256K encryption; apparently US radio stations do not like the mix.

Well Land Rover does these days tend to be at the bleeding edge of technology - you will never see Toyota there, that is for certain - they are still finding ABS a bit of a challenge.
Post #65315125th May 2010 11:52 pm
sinbad58

Sweden 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Altitude readings on GPS ( Regardless of type )

H all !

The GPS receiver has a " Theoretical Spheric Geoid " that resembles the earth.
The earth is not absolutely round as a ball, it is indeed a slightly squashed sphere.. Confused
(the reference ellipsoid used in the geodetic system is itself just an approximation of the true geoid)
So in fact when You check your altitude , it does'nt show your height above tha sea..
It shows Your altitude compared to the " Theoretical Spheric Geoid )
The only systems that can give the Correct data is the sort that " Surveyors use "
Because their system has the correct Geographical Data in the Mapping software.
( So Called " GIS Software ( Geographic Information Software ) " )

Hope this bit of info will shed some light over this Matter..
 Jan R.
Hidden Winch Mount ( Warn / Tabor 9K ) with Synthetic Line.
A-Frame Protection Bar with Lightforce 170 Xenon
Mantec Raised Air Intake LR Expo Rack
GNVP-Suspension Rods+Rock Slider/Step+Full Underbody Protection
GG AT2s 255/60/18
Ham Radio ( HF-UHF ) Blackvue DR500GW-HD Camera
Squishy Cup Holders, Engel MT-35 Fridge, Cubby Fridge
Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme 

Post #80595611th Jun 2011 3:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >