Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

New Fault - Radio is on but no sound
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
New Fault - Radio is on but no sound

It's been about a month and a half and the D3 has been fine since the last fault. It was too good to be true that he D3 is running fine without the regular monthly visit to the Dealer Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Today I have a new fault Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad .

Has anyone had this fault and what was the cause.

The Radio is on (you can see the display as if it were on) and the steering wheel controls operate it but there is no sound. It was fine on my way to work and when I went out to see a client but then when I returned to the office there was no sound Twisted Evil like it was muted.

I turned it off/on again but still nothing. I don't recall the radio having a mute. I don't have PTI and the radio is the Premium Sound system

Any ideas?

TIA Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1278596th Feb 2007 3:30 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have the base radio, but opposite problem; sound but no display. Head unit replaced. FM reception lousey and got a loud satic pop. audio module replaced. FM still bad and will drop out for a sec. when sinal becomes weak. This is in a major city listening to a local FM station.
All I can suggest is either of these may be at fault, but last time they told me they did a software upgrade as well. Wink
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #1278606th Feb 2007 3:53 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It's working again. Shocked

Maybe the Radio Station's tranmission was down. I didn't try other stations, I only checked volume.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1278636th Feb 2007 5:14 am
White Disco

Australia 

Remedy: Don't listen to the commercial stations. Dr. Evil Dr. Evil . Rot ya brain (as My Dad would say), and now causing grief to the receivers.

Yes, I'm one of those smug people that only does ABC, SBS or Independent (ch31, PBS.RRR, etc) Whistle Okapi
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #1278656th Feb 2007 5:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gi

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Re: New Fault - Radio is on but no sound

With my D3, produced AUG06 and 3600km 'old', I've experienced already THREE time-outs of the base radio model:
- first time: The display remained on the 'check' picture, no sound, no control
- 2nd time, two months later: preset radio station, again no control but FIXED VOLUME!
- a week ago: NO FUNCTION at all. Not even the illumination.... Confused

All defective conditions were cleared by a simple 'system restart', operating the key.
Maybe I should slowly but surely contact the dealer???
Gi
 ...this is an Italian, living in Switzerland, trying to speak English...!  
Post #1278986th Feb 2007 11:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Calcul@tor

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

I've had various issues with the base model radio.

It kept locking up if I did any two operations in quick succession - such as swapping from AM to FM and from Preset 1 to 2. The only way to get it to work was to turn the car on and off again. New head unit and new software and now it is much better - but I also make sure I don't test it by swapping too quickly! It still looses sound when I swap presets sometimes, but a tweek of the volume nob gets it back again. Not great, but not too bad and I've had so many other issues I've given up worrying about this one!
 D4 XS MY12 Galway  
Post #1279906th Feb 2007 3:33 pm
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I also had a problem, this is the base radio, first the clock, in the morning started to gain time when I first got into the car, reset clock to the correct time about three times this happend.
Then the clock started to lose time, reset each morning, about four times this happened.
Now best of all, accidentally knocked radio on with my elbow, while, doing a job in the car, no key in the ignition, radio comes on, Iam unable to turn it off I push the button, hit it shout at it swear at it, still it stays on.
This is a Sunday morning, I have a early start the following morning, I know the battery will be flat.
There is only one thing left to try, I start the engine, still the radio, will not turn off, stop the engine.
Guess what Iam now able to turn the bloody thing off, this was three weeks ago, it has not happened since, and the clock has kept perfect time.
My wife said it's all the the crap, music I listen to, the radio don't like it.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #1282857th Feb 2007 12:59 pm
otresb

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 S Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Radio malfunction

Similar problem, cannot change am-fm-cd-aux, locks on am, can only change station by turning off ignition and restarting. Dealer said HK ipod connector ???? responsible.
Just another annoying problem on an otherwise great 4WD.

Post #12991714th Feb 2007 12:45 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The base stereo is made down to a price ( couldn't make too good or you wouldn't pay for thr upgrade). Mine now sounds great with after market speakers ( http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic7072.html ). The only issue now is the reception.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Last edited by caverD3 on 15th Feb 2007 10:02 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13006415th Feb 2007 1:58 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

my radio failing to produce sound was easily remedied by clipping the aerial connecter back on in the left hand boot locker and removing teh object that had knocked it off Very Happy
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #13007715th Feb 2007 9:48 am
Haggis

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I've had an interesting radio problem. After the 24000km service the radio wasn't working. It would turn on, and display something, but no sound and none of the buttons worked. So I drove around the block and went straight back to the dealer.

They intially reset the radio (I think that meant they disconnected the main battery). The radio worked long enough to get it from their workshop to the forecourt and had exactly the same symptoms. In the end a software load was required. There were two files downloaded to the radio and they both looked like Visual Basic Modules. Since then the radio has worked as expected.
 D3 (06) SE TDV6, Rear Locker, Rear Air, ARB bar w/winch, Safari Snorkel, 110l aux fuel tank, Kaymar rear bar (twin wheel carrier), Black Widow rear storage system, Rhino rack, GME UHF, Codan HF, IPF HID lights, CSA Explorer 17" w/BFG Mud Terrain KM2 - see Australian 4WD Monthly #103  
Post #13077217th Feb 2007 1:54 am
kjh1957

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had this problem on my S. I seem to recall that I was switching between functions and as you say everything seemed to work except the sound. When I stopped the car and turned off the ignition then back on, the radio sound was back. No problems since!

Post #13093517th Feb 2007 11:40 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I once had a problem where the sub stopped working. As I was reaching to turn off the radio I rotated the knob as I pressed it. When I switched it back on, the sub wasn't working. When I got to work I locked it as normal and at lunch time everything was working fine again. Smile
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #13093917th Feb 2007 11:45 pm
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

No guarantees that this is the same problem as the first (or any other) poster, but I ran into problems with the radio head unit for the first time on a very long day driving trip last fall.

Symptoms were: no sound, aux input 'sticks' on Sirius (but still no sound). Can switch to other sources but to no effect.

Ultimately I found the problem enroute. It's a security feature.

One door was slightly ajar when I locked the vehicle the night before. The horn honked as I locked it (unusual) but I paid it no further attention.

The next morning, I unlocked it, started up, and shut the door properly. Everything but the radio worked. I called my Land Rover service rep enroute and got only "Bring it in and we'll take a look at it. You probably need to have the radio software reloaded."

That wasn't going to happen, since they were in the wrong direction from where I was going, so some three hours later, I found the dealer in the next city, got out, locked it and attempted to get them to take a look at it - but they were busy.

Got back into the car, started up, and a minor miracle occurred: the radio worked.

So here's the fix, at least for this problem: If the radio is inoperative, shut down, check to make sure all the doors are shut, lock the vehicle, unlock it, and start it again.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Post #13302225th Feb 2007 4:26 pm
DiscoAtom

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

With my MY06 Disco SE with the base model radio, I experienced similar problems, in addition, to the CD locking up while flipping between tracks quickly. The radio reception problem resets itself after an ignition off but the CD lock-up required a power off to the radio such that experienced when one turns the starter motor on.

The radio now has a software upgrade done, and the CD lockup seems to have disappeared, as for the radio muting, so far so good...
 '06 Disco 3 TDV6 SE Buckingham Blue  
Post #13310225th Feb 2007 9:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >