DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Travel through Europe in winter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
promitheus

Greece 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Travel through Europe in winter

Hi everybody,
As many of you already know, I'll be collecting my new D4, hopefully, in late December 2013. I will have to travel in the heart of winter through the whole of Europe really: UK-France-Switcherland-Austria-Hungary-Serbia-Bulgaria-Greece with a new car and my precious pregnant wife.

So, getting straight to the point, although it's a trip I used to do three four times a year back in 1990 (is this going to reveal my age? Embarassed) I must admit I am a bit worried - due to my precious 'cargo' - regarding weather and things I should know about snow and the D4 and other tools/gadgets I should carry with me during the journey. The thought of how easily my FL2 used to slide on snow with AW tires just terrifies me!

- Do you guys think I should change the new factory tires with some winter ones? I read many good comments about the Wintracs in our forum. Do you think it's not necessary, a waste of money?
- What extra tools would you recommend, D4 toolbox aside?
- Any route advises?
-Anyone has done something similar and would like to share some thoughts and advise?

I would really appreciate your input and any words to relief my anxiety. Embarassed Smile

Post #117075211th Oct 2013 6:29 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

A friend of mine drove to Turkey, twice.

First time with the wife, the second without.

He enjoyed the second trip more.

Do you really want the angst of a pregnant loved one in the car?
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #117075611th Oct 2013 6:33 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

D4 will perform well in the slow and ice conditions, the electronics will help to keep you moving as plenty on here will testify. However the D4 is a big car and weighs a lot so you need to allow for this when travelling and braking.
Might be worth looking at a set of snow chains if you think the conditions are going to be that bad and the standard things like tow rope, shovel, blanckets and hot drinks.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #117076011th Oct 2013 6:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
promitheus

Robbie, she will only follow if the doctor permits, that's for sure! However it's a trip we always wanted to take together and it'll be in the car that we wanted and dreamed for a long time now. In any case we'll do it ONLY if it's absolutely safe!

Russel, any suggestions on snow chains? I'm sure I read somewhere that they are now allowed on the D4 due to small clearance behind the wheels.

Post #117077011th Oct 2013 6:49 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

There are some that will fit as there are others on the forum that have used them.
I believe that LR specifiy the snow spike type as they do not go round the back of the wheel but they are very expensive.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #117077511th Oct 2013 6:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Super strength windscreen wash, I recommend Comma -65 degrees. Order 5l up online is best bet. Nozzles freeze otherwise, I know.
Manually close mirrors before locking at night so don't try to rip themselves off in the morning.
Ditto wipers, make sure they are off front and back or you will break them
Long handled snow brush - never drive off with snow on top as it will break your wipers when you brake, and it is a pig to reach without long handled brush.
Short brush to take out of car with you - otherwise when you open door a good load of snow lands on your seat
HEated steering wheel!
Winter tyres yes, chains no unless you are going somewhere very very very remote
 d4 HSE  
Post #117084611th Oct 2013 9:07 pm
sacimiddx

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Why not down thru Italy and then ferry ?

Reduces exposure to poor roads, bad weather and lack of facilities (hospitals and rescue services)
 Illegitimi Non Carborundum  
Post #117085211th Oct 2013 9:17 pm
promitheus

Thanks stick, very useful info.

@sacimiddx: We currently live in BG where the car will also be registered by my company, so this is where we'll land. Then further down to reach the mother land for a few days.

Let me ask one more thing: If I understand correctly the navigation system comes with maps for western Europe since I collect in the UK. How can I get the rest (eastern EU) in order to have the whole of Europe? Which countries does each one of these include?

Post #117097712th Oct 2013 10:04 am
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Things calleed Snow Socks are fairly readily available in the UK now (Halfords,Amazon ...). They're like fabric snow chains. Very limited life but good for an emergency and they pack up small 8)

Post #117108212th Oct 2013 3:08 pm
cooperman17

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It's the law to have winter tyres on in certain countries such as Austria and Switzerland. Compliant tyres will have snow flakes on them.

Stopping is your main concern.

Vred Wintracs can be used all year round and they work.

Otherwise sounds like a great trip and you will have a great vehicle to do it in.

Enjoy Thumbs Up

Post #117109012th Oct 2013 3:29 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Personally I wouldn't bother with snow socks. They're cheap for a reason Rolling Eyes You could try to hire some snow chains I suppose. Not sure where from though. As has been said before, as standard, the car should do just fine. Obviously at close to 3 tonnes fully laden, it'll take some stopping. If it's brand new, LR assist will cover you throughout Europe so the need for extra tools is a moot point. Obviously, it'd be good to have some essentials for the bad weather. A Wold box or similar with tea/coffee Milk and other food supplies as well as fresh water would make a wait for LR Assist ( Should the worst happen) less uncomfortable. Spare jackets, hats, gloves and a blanket or two would hurt either Thumbs Up
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #117116212th Oct 2013 6:55 pm
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Snow tyres are not mandatory in Switzerland.

However everyone does have them and they are worth their weight in gold. Recommended - and unless you're being daft or unlucky, you'll never need chains.

I never put any water in my screenwash, winter or summer.

Keep warm clothes in the car. Have hiviz vests in the car.
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #117177013th Oct 2013 9:23 pm
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I believe the law is more like "summer tyres are prohobited in winter". M+S tyres will be fine (for the law). You MUST, by law, have snow chains in the car though, whether they are used or not.
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #117189214th Oct 2013 8:37 am
andi

Switzerland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I can only speak for Switzerland; as LHD already noted, M+S or Snowtires are not mandatory here but in case of an accident you risk prosecution if you have summer tires on. Also chains might be mandatory on certain roads. As for the wiper fluid, you can buy that easily from most supermarkets and gasstations. Make sure ist the winter-mix! You will Need that on moist and wet days to clean the salt residue from your windscreen.

It might also be a good idea to borrow/buy a cheap snowshovel in case you leave the Hotel in the morning and Need to find your car under the 50 cm of snow that have fallen over night (happened once in Austria in late March to me...).

Post #11826655th Nov 2013 3:16 pm
promitheus

Thanks a lot everyone for your advice. Thumbs Up

I'll be going down to Greece through Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and finally Greece. I think snow tires are only mandatory in Germany and Austria, but only in snowy conditions.
I decided to get a pair of Thule K-Summit XXL for my Disco in case I need them and as it will probably be half the cost of getting a pair of winter tires, which are not really necessary in Greece (will probably need them for 20-30 days a year). I'll also wait till the first days of December and see how winter progresses. All these predictions about the worst winter ever could prove to be a bit science-fiction!

Post #11827665th Nov 2013 6:46 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >