Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Following camber of road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Rex

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4
Following camber of road

Picked up my new car couple of weeks ago and noticed straight away that had to steer right hand down slightly on all A roads to keep from heading towards kerb. Tried on the motorway so there is minimum camber to affect steering and when wheel is in horizontal position the car slowly drifts to the left and steering adjustment is required. I never noticed this with my D3. Has anyone else noticed this sensitivity to the camber of the road or is it just my car. My wife also noticed this within the first 1/2 mile of driving the car also.

Car was back at the garage to be checked out and technician took it out and had it up on the ramp and was all OK. I have just been out in it to make sure it was not me imagining it and still needs a conscious input to stop drifting to the left. Garage have been good and will take the car in again and let me drive their D4 for comparison but just trying to find out other peoples experience.

Car is on 19 inch wheels

ETA Car runs straight and true when hands off the wheel so tracking seems OK

Post #6133222nd Mar 2010 10:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Take it to France for a comparison. 8)

Seriously, I had this on my first D3, and after a geomentry reset, it was fine. When I first got it, it would make my hand ache keeping it straight over a long journey (I have a bad habit of steering with just my left hand)

Post #6133332nd Mar 2010 10:49 pm
Rex

Will do. I am driving down to the alps in a couple of days. 740 miles should break the car in nicely.

Post #6134003rd Mar 2010 12:41 am
Rex

Back from France now. Car needed to be steered other way slightly in france so I think it is just the camber of the road. Surprised that car like this is so sensitive to the camber of the road. Will have to check toe in or some such measurement.

Post #62828727th Mar 2010 5:07 pm
daimlermg

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

My Lexus RX400h did this which is why I bought the LR4.

I tested my LR4 yesterday on a few different roads and I can say I drives straight without having to pull on the wheel left or right to compensate for the camber.
I can steer slightly up into the camber ( at a guess about one degree) and the car will drift slowly up the camber with hands off the wheel.

On roads with camber the wrong way it stilll did not drift down the slope

I am going to France at the end of the month so I will know better then. I am away for 8 weeks but if I find a internet connection I will report back.
 Faultmate MSV-2
500,000 plus miles in RR,s and trying for more without breakdowns this time Smile
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's
Had for 40 years but now gone 1935 Daimler and 1937 MG 

Post #6340439th Apr 2010 10:42 pm
daimlermg

Hi Rex

Well i am now in Italy having towed the tinrent all the way and the car is fine , No pulling to the right with or without the tintent on the back. I can go for 50 yards on the motoway with my hands off the wheel and still stay between the white lines. It behaves just the same on the right as the left which makes me very happy as this is why I changed from the Lexus.

I think its time to take yours back to a dealer and tell him its not good enough and show him this thread.
 Faultmate MSV-2
500,000 plus miles in RR,s and trying for more without breakdowns this time Smile
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's

Post #6436831st May 2010 6:53 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I had the exact same problem. Took it back twice and at the second attempt it was fixed. Re-alignment is probably the answer.

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #6437141st May 2010 8:15 pm
simonm

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Exactly the same problem for me. Dealer has looked at it twice and reset the alignment and it was still the same. They let me drive another Disco 4 and that was the same too.

If you get this sorted I would be interested to know the cause. At the moment I suspect alignment tolerances are too
lenient from LR. Will post here if the dealer find a fix.

Post #65954311th Jun 2010 8:44 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Mine drives straight and does not pull either way, sorry chaps think you need to get the alignment done again and more accuratley.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #65955811th Jun 2010 9:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mattl

Mine does this as well but I can't see how toe in/out adjustments will make any difference. Surely the wheels will just 'centre' when on the move, unless they adjust camber?

Post #65966212th Jun 2010 9:52 am
daimlermg

On my way home now and get the ferry at the weekend after doing 4500 miles on the right ,Still not pulling left or right.

It might be the castor angle that needs adjusting as this gives the car the return to straight ahead effect as well as the camber or toe in.

I had a RR that had the toe in / out only half a degree adrift and it pulled to the right until it was adjusted.
 Faultmate MSV-2
Gone Lexus RX400h SE
Past Audi A6 avant Qutro
Toyota Supra
Long line of RR's

Post #66139816th Jun 2010 8:32 pm
shakey

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi,

I'm in the same situation I've had two four wheel alignments at two dealerships(stourbridge and peterborough) the car is still camber sensitive ie on the m6 if the wheel is released it will change lanes (left if the camber is left right if the camber is right).

I'd love to get this fixed but I'm stuck the dealerships now say the car drives fine, LR headoffice don't seem to be able to offer any assistance.

Has anyone who has got this issue sorted got the details of what the dealerships changed during the alignment, it appears the standard landrover 4 wheel alignment does not cure the problem, its also very evident that losts of dealerships DON'T have the software to align a disco 4 (tried 3 local dealerships none had purchased the software just said it wasn't cost effective as so few disco 4 around)

thanks

shakey

Post #66158817th Jun 2010 8:39 am
biglouie

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Strangely I am now suffering from this since I changed from MTRs to Wrangler F1s.

Its an 06 HSE and the first set of Scorpians lasted only 12k I had to replace them due uneven wear although it drove straight and true. I had a 4 wheel alignment done locally and put the MTRs on and everything went well till I just put on the new tyres. Now it 'drifts' to the left as described.

Perhaps some wheel/tyres combinations have a greater or lesser tendancy to follow the camber!

Post #67303317th Jul 2010 6:23 pm
biskit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My 05 is just the same,Stratstone Bury tried a fix when under warranty, but never got any better Exclamation thinking of getting some fresh 19inch rubber, i will hope that sorts things Confused

Post #67306217th Jul 2010 8:02 pm
raftrey

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the car drifts to the left it is likely to have more of a positive castor angle on the OSF than the NSF as was the case with mine for months after warranty work at dealer. I realised the dealer didn't have a clue what to do so i increased the NSR angle very slightly and now drives straight and true!

Post #67310117th Jul 2010 10:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >