Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Trailer Brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Trailer Brakes

As I said on another thread I am in the process of changing up from a MY05 D3 (original owner) to a D4. I am in the process of again going through the full process of researching and identifying dual battery fitout and trailer brake controller.

In the D3 I had the Piranha dual battery management system and the Tekonsha Prodigy trailer brake fit and no trouble with either over the past 9 years.

I realise that there have been many improvements and new systems over the past years and am now looking for the best in the newer systems that have been tried and tested in the D4.

ATT I think that the Traxide dual battery fitout may be the way to go for the Dual Battery and am still looking at the Trailer brake controller.

All suggestions gratefully received.

A friend has recently purchased a new D4 in Melbourne and when I inquired what trailer breaking system he was installing, he stated that with the D4 there is no need to install one as he has been advised that the normal 7 pin outlet will cater for his trailer needs. I find this hard to believe?? Comments please.

Regards

Bob
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Post #12322616th Feb 2014 11:19 pm
Dan W

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Hi Bob, I used the Traxide in My D3 and installed one again for my D4 and I have never had an issue with either. I between the 2 discos I had a Challenger and in that I used a Redarc with no problem either.

The reason I went back to Traxide for the D4 is because Tim does up the whole kit specifically for the D4, and I knew I could put it in myself without any hassles, and the price is great too.

My system gets used regularly with an Engel Fridge and I haven't had any issues so far, and reading the various forums it doesn't see like anyone else has any issues either. That said I haven't seen much about anyone having problems with any off the shelf isolator/charger.

As for the trailer brake controller. I've never had one nor have a had a trailer with electric brakes. Don't you need to be able to adjust the level of braking and that varies from vehicle to vehicle and trailer to trailer? Hence the need for a controller? Unless the D4 has a smart controller?
 2012 MY13 SDV6 SE D4 Ipanema Sand with Almond leather
2012 TDI Passat - they reckon the DSG is crap, I reckon it's awesome
2010 MY11 Mitsubishi Challenger - Gone (it was a "Challenging Year")
2007 MY08 TDV6 SE - gone 

Post #12330598th Feb 2014 2:47 am
JeffD4

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I have the Redarc in car controller fitted to my D4 for the 3 ton boat I tow with electric brakes. No problem so far.
 Land Rover Series IIA 1967
Discovery 300 Tdi 1998 (white, ARB bullbar, suspension lift, roof rack, Lightforce spots etc)
Discovery 4 3.0 Litre White, e-diff 

Post #12336849th Feb 2014 12:51 pm
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Thanks Dan and Jeff

Traxide and Redarc is the go then.

I saw today that the aux battery can now be fitted in the same place as the D3.
 Retired Bob
2005 Disco 3 HSE TDV6 (Dual Battery, Snorkel, Nudge Bar, Kaymar Spare Wheel Carriers, Long Ranger Aux Tank. LED Shunt, Centre Console Cooler, New Tail Shaft, New Gear Box, Rigged for towing) Towing Trakmaster Van as often as possible 

Post #124253025th Feb 2014 7:23 am
JeffD4

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Does your trailer have LED lights? If so, you will find the D4, in common with many European cars, will need some sort of resistor/ converter between the car and the trailer. This is a well known issue and is easily corrected with an off the shelf product or a do it yourself fix. Very Happy
 Land Rover Series IIA 1967
Discovery 300 Tdi 1998 (white, ARB bullbar, suspension lift, roof rack, Lightforce spots etc)
Discovery 4 3.0 Litre White, e-diff 

Post #124267425th Feb 2014 1:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >