DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

2 weeks and 1000 miles in a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Simes

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
2 weeks and 1000 miles in a D3

Hi All,

Was just pondering how I'm getting on with the D3 after a couple of weeks of ownership.

All my comparisons are coming from a long long history of Land Rover vehicles. Starting with a Series 11a SWB Petrol that I took my test in, back in 1979 - two weeks after my 17th birthday, then a Series 3 LWB diesel (the slug), then a 'classic' (before they were called that) Range Rover - first one I had was a 2 door 3.5 manual, then 2 door auto, then a 4 door 3.9, then my first discovery in 1996 - a D1, 300TDI manual. That was replaced with a P38 4.6 V8, then another P38 4.6 V8 (it always feels odd getting in an identical car that you've paid good money for!), then a 322 4.4 V8, and now the 57 plate 08 MY D3.

Also had other cars either alongside or (occasionally instead of) the LR's - mostly Jags.

Well - the D3 is very different to the FullFat it's replaced. First and most noticable is the change from 300bhp to 188! The D3 feels a bit of a slug in comparison, but actually, it's not that slow really and does pick up speed at a respectable rate. Miss the roar of a V8 mind. What I don't miss is being invited to BP's annual dinner and dance as their best customer.

Comparing the D3 to my old D1 (warning: mists of time may make any comparison meaningless) it feels smaller and lower than the D1 - almost like sitting in a 'normal' car. The engine is a lot quieter - and of course more powerful - although it might have a tad more turbo lag.

For some reason I think the sound from the radio in the D1 was better - but that could be result of another 20 years of ruining my hearing with loud music...

Ecconomy - well - it's probably the most ecconomical car I've ever driven.

Ride comfort - good - not as smooth as the FFRR, but it's not bad at all.

Build - seems to be good, but it also seems to be a bit 'flimsier' than the D1 - which was built like a tank - the D3 feels a bit less solid overall - and the panels all feel thinner - lighter and cheaper I guess. Lightness good, cheapness only good for JLR shareholders.

At the moment the D3 is feeling like a 'keeper' - but time will tell I guess. Want to get the Belts and Oil pump changed out this summer, and a couple of other little jobs, but overall there's not much wrong with her.

Fitted a remote for the FBH earlier in the week - the work of about 5 minutes.

Had a good under-bonnet clean last night - I hate getting dirty and oily when working on or near an engine - she wasn't oily - which is good, just very dirty and dusty - you can lick the engine now and not taste any dirt Smile

Next week fitting a Parrot 9200i - always have them fitted to my cars as they just work. That's it for the planned mods at the moment.

Post #127117417th Apr 2014 9:38 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

get the remap from Bell Auto or others which makes that brick move a bit smoother and more responsive

G

Post #127125617th Apr 2014 1:26 pm
Simes

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've been tempted by the thought of a re-map - but the downside is that it would invalidate my warranty (and insurance unless I tell them and pay more)...

I am sure that modern remaps are very good - but when I last looked into them, maybe 10 or more years ago, they seemed to work by just pumping in more fuel until the flame went out, then backing it off a bit.

You could always tell a remapped diesel by the thick black soot coming out of the back!

I presume they are a bit more subtle these days?

Post #127126017th Apr 2014 1:42 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Had a remapped Fabia vRS (130hp diesel)

Was cleaner at MOT time, than a standard car Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #127142317th Apr 2014 7:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
den2013

Austria 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

Have a look through the vast number of threads and it should change your mind. A friend who had not been in mine and who had had a D3 for about 2 months went out up the road with me, i think its fair to say he was very impressed with the difference in the way the car went Mr. Green Mr. Green , and to add to the enjoyment of having the remap you will also get better MPG, so its a +1 for a BAS remap from me. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 2015 D4 HSE LUX Kaikoura Stone(sold)
2010 D4 S Commercial Santorini Black(SWMBO)(sold)
2014 Evoque Dynamic Kaikoura Stone (sold)
2013 Porsche Boxster S (Fun car)
2008 D3 HSE Java Black(sold) 

Post #127143517th Apr 2014 7:34 pm
stchris

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had mine remapped by JE Engineering just down the road in Coventry, thay have a really good reputation and have remapped both my Td5 Discovery as well as my TDV6 now running at 235 BHP, really makes a difference Thumbs Up
 EGR blanked and plumbing removed
De-cat
J E Engineering stage 1 remap
D4 rear Lights
LED bulbs all over the place!
Nanocom Evolution 

Post #127145217th Apr 2014 8:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >