Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

An Anoraks D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 9 of 13 <123 ... 8910 111213>
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4
Ozpod

Spent a bit of time this afternoon fitting my Ozpod on roof bars in preparation for camping next weekend. It's a bit of a faff as the bars need to line up exactly with holes already drilled in the 'pod, but got there in the end. The new extended roof rails have come into their own now, too Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

The 'pod is as far back as it can go and just misses the open tailgate.

Click image to enlarge

To fix the 'pod to the roof bars, I borrowed some of the fixings from my Thule bike carriers:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #14843006th Jun 2015 7:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

Rear Work Light

Encouraged by camping plans for next weekend, I finally managed to install my rear worklight this afternoon. When I say install, I really mean lash-up as it'll need re-doing properly at some point. It's good enough to prove the concept though.

Those who've been following this for some time (see page 6) will have seen the bracket that I've made to mount a light on the top of my ladder:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

To retain the benefit when the tailgate is open, the bracket allows the light to swivel and point downwards through the glass to light up the back of the vehicle:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'll try and get some pictures in the dark later.

Did I mention that it's a lash up? Specifically, that applies to the electrics. Eventually, I'll build a control box that will allow the light to be switched on both from a switch at the rear and automatically with the reversing lights but for the time being it's on a socket to the existing power from the second battery. Look away now if easily alarmed:

Click image to enlarge

Getting the cable from the light to the inside of the vehicle is a real pain and will need re-thinking for the final install. For now though, it runs down the door frame (with liberal use of duct tape to secure it), into the top of the RH rear light cluster and then inside through the rubber grommets for the light cluster wiring. The original second battery install puts a 12v socket on the top of the side trim but I'll probably move that to the jack storage panel and add a few more, which will also provide a handy switch position for the worklight.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 10th Jun 2015 9:02 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #14845457th Jun 2015 4:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Liking the light Thumbs Up

Been thinking of something similar for ages. Nice touch with the bracket.

Great build thread Thumbs Up

Cheers

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #14845807th Jun 2015 5:49 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Andy.

Managed a couple of 'in the dark' piccys last night. It's notoriously difficult to photograph light output, but they give the idea of the spread in both positions. Suffice to say that it's more than bright enough though!

Light pointing backwards:

Click image to enlarge

Light pointing downwards through tailgate glass:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 26th Jun 2015 3:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14848558th Jun 2015 9:32 am
Partickpebbles

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

The Lights a great idea! Really bright too! Good effort! Thumbs Up
 Black D4 December 2014
Side Steps
Oh and now I have a Labrador!
Previous cars (Recent to first!):
Nissan Navara
SAAB 9-3
Renaultsport Clio
Citroen C2 GT
Mercedes A Class
Volvo S40
Renault Clio 16v Williams Blue
Citroen Saxo VTR
Audi A3
Renault Clio 16V Black
Vauxhall Corsa SRI
Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus 

Post #14848628th Jun 2015 10:07 am
LandRoverAnorak

Window Blinds

On my last couple of Land Rovers I've had the rear windows tinted and have been very pleased with the result. I haven't had chance to get the D3 done though so, as a quick fix, I thought I'd give some window blinds a go.

These are from a company called UV Car Shades. They are very easy to fit, and can removed and re-fitted in seconds if required.

They've proved to be very difficult to photograph properly but in real life they look great.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #148636611th Jun 2015 8:03 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Bottle Jack

In preparation for installing some electrical gubbins in the storage bin where the standard jack lives and given the bad press that jack has, I thought it time to invest in a new jack. I've read lots of posts on here about various replacements, with the Sprinter being the initial favourite until I came across the posts about that failing, so I started looking for an alternative. I also found a post by Bodsy that mentioned the lifting height that could be required, which seemed to discount many obvious candidates.

The standard jack, if fully extended, will lift to around 490mm, so that dictated that part of the spec required. At the other end of the scale, the standard jack is obviously very low - much lower than any bottle jack with the required lift is likely to be. Many bottle jacks have a screw out post to provide much of their range, but without a lot of faffing with a separate stand, their single lift range is usually only about 130mm. Any such jack that can reach 490mm would be too tall to fit underneath the vehicle, especially with a flat tyre.

After much searching though, I think I've found the ideal candidate. It's a five tonne two stage bottle jack made by SGS Engineering in Derby. It's only 225mm high but has a stroke of 275mm, so will reach 500mm overall.

Click image to enlarge

I originally found it on eBay, although it can also be bought directly from their own website, which is what I've done.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equi...ottle-jack

All being well, it should arrive in the next couple of days, so I'll give it a proper test.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #148784415th Jun 2015 10:46 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Useful jacks to have around too. I went for the 10 ton version for the slightly wider range. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #148786115th Jun 2015 11:35 am
LandRoverAnorak

IID BT

New toy arrived today (in a box big enough for fifty of them Rolling Eyes ):

Now off to read Disco Mikey's quick start guide Whistle
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #14993459th Jul 2015 5:32 pm
Famousfive

Ukraine 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Darren,

good to finally meet up today and thanks again Thumbs Up

Nick
 Stolen - D4 Loire Blue
D4 Bali Blue 

Post #150328417th Jul 2015 10:45 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Xenon Headlights

Had a couple of hours to spare today and first job on the list was to install my newly acquired xenon headlights. Here they are, all polished and lubed up, ready to fit:

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately, having removed the light guards and existing headlights, I noticed that the light guard brackets were looking a bit sorry for themselves. So they were cleaned up and given a quick blast of Smoothrite:

Click image to enlarge

More unfortunately, the brackets had rubbed through the paint on the leading edges of the wings.

Click image to enlarge

I didn't have anything to hand to do anything about that, but I could stop it getting worse by attaching some stickyback neoprene foam to the inside faces of the brackets:

Click image to enlarge

When I came to re-fit the light guards, I realised that I was missing the small soft plastic buffers that remained stuck to the original lights. More stickyback foam to the rescue:

Click image to enlarge

After all that, the completed set-up:

Click image to enlarge

They work absolutely fine, although I haven't tried them in the dark yet. I might go out for a quick spin in a few minutes...
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #150687925th Jul 2015 9:02 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Spare Tyre Remote Inflation

Inspired by this thread http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic132309.html, I recently ordered this 280mm valve extension pipe:

Click image to enlarge

So, whilst waiting for the paint to dry on my light guard brackets, I dropped the spare wheel and fitted it:

Click image to enlarge

I'm glad I did because I discovered that it was completely flat!

Anyway, with the wheel back in place, the end of the extension pipe is available just behind the crossmember:

Click image to enlarge

Seven quid, well spent Smile
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #150689425th Jul 2015 9:23 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Replacement Jack

Finally for now, I mentioned a little while ago that I'd bought a new bottle jack to replace the standard scissor jack of dubious reputation and, whilst still waiting for paint to dry, I gave it a test:

Click image to enlarge

With all four doors shut and suspension at standard height, it easily lifted the tyre clear with lots of travel in reserve:

Click image to enlarge

The suspension made a few huffs and puffs as I started to take the weight on the jack but there were no dramas. However, when I let it down again, I was surprised to find the front suspension completely deflate, to the extent that I thought I was going to struggle to get the jack out:

Click image to enlarge

I guess that this is a consequence of the suspension reacting to being jacked up, whereby it stops the wheel being jacked up from extending. It was a bit disconcerting though Confused

Anyway, with the test completed, I turned my attention to storing it. It's quite a chunky thing so I was a bit concerned about this, but I found that if I removed the polystyrene moulding for the old jack, then new one wrapped in a towel would fit easily along with all of the other gubbins:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #150689925th Jul 2015 9:44 pm
Tiger

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Shes looking good still!

Whack the hazzards on when jacking as i think this stops tbe compressor reacting

Post #150690125th Jul 2015 9:48 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Thanks Smile Not sure about the hazards though Confused I'll have to read the manual again.

Anyway, a quick spin out to a dark secluded spot allowed me to take these:

Dipped beam -

Click image to enlarge

Main beam -

Click image to enlarge

I think I'll take it to have the headlights aligned, as I think they're pointing a bit high. The beam is very different from the old halogens though, so I'm not too sure.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #150691425th Jul 2015 10:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 9 of 13 <123 ... 8910 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >