Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

An Anoraks D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 13 <123 ... 111213>
1967jester

Location: Usually in the North East though I have been known to travel

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Farm a man who's mechanical & electrical skills are south of 0 I'm enjoying reading all this. Nice to see the evolution of the car along the way.
Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down Bow down
 Paul.

06 Java Black HSE - gone
12 Baltic Blue HSE - gone
15 Fuji HSE Lux
Club Biscuits, mmmm nice!
Traxide/Luna hybrid & Yellow top
Some Prospeed bits
+ some other stuff
Club N.E.R.D.s. 

Post #162824620th Mar 2016 8:57 am
Tiger

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

That's not good, it never towed with us or did anything out of the ordinary. Average mix of local and motorway and was never ever abused. No way should that happen at 119k

Post #162824920th Mar 2016 9:05 am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Good news! Had a run up to Ally Pally today and the car feels much more responsive. MPG steadily increased on the lie-o-meter during the whole trip. Got a longer run up to near Peterborough tomorrow, which I'm really looking forward to now Very Happy
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #162856520th Mar 2016 8:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

Woo hoo (picture taken by passenger before anybody gets excited).

Click image to enlarge

I should qualify that this was taken about thirty miles after resetting the comp and the driving comprised going from a services directly onto the M1 and then sitting at between 60 and 70mph. I haven't seen similar figures for quite a while though, so changing one or both of the sensors has had a very positive effect.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #162907721st Mar 2016 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Result Thumbs Up

I presume you've been on a similar run since having the TC replaced but it still didn't help the mpg?
Out of curiosity what is the job of the ECT valve? My mpg doesn't get above 23 now but I'm saving for a gearbox recon Rolling Eyes

Post #162909121st Mar 2016 8:21 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yeah, the drive home from having the new TC fitted was a similar journey but I couldn't get it to read higher than about 25mpg, which is what started me thinking about other issues.

The ECT sensor measures engine coolant temperature, which of course informs the engine management system.

Back to usual commute driving today, so I expect the figure in the pic to take a hit. It'll certainly raise the average though.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #162924622nd Mar 2016 6:23 am
LandRoverAnorak

MOT today, which it passed without any issues. Had one advisory though - apparently the exhaust was too clean to register on their machine. Never had that before but quite pleased, really.

Click image to enlarge

Also booked it in with Guava for a service at the end of next week. It'll be the big ten year one but I've modified it to remove the transmission oils (already done) and add in brake fluid change, which hasn't been.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #162969322nd Mar 2016 8:16 pm
LandRoverAnorak

I've just waved goodbye as my Discovery has been taken off to Guava Hunters for the big ten year service. Modified though, as a recent new gearbox and diff oils changed last year mean that none of those need to be changed again now. Instead, I've asked for a brake fluid change and new flexible hoses whilst they're at it.

Hopefully, they don't find anything else untoward, although I do suspect that the EPB isn't always releasing fully, so have asked them to check it out Rolling Eyes

It's slightly strange being greeted with 'Hunters' rather than 'Guava' when calling them, although you can still hear the hesitation in voices checking that they're getting it right. More worrying though is the Hunters influence. I'm told that forum discount is now only 10% and that prices are likely to increase later in the year when Hunters Guildford move to the Guava site whilst their's is being redeveloped into a super-dealership.

This time next year I could be looking for a decent local indy... Sad
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #16340771st Apr 2016 7:55 am
LandRoverAnorak

Just heard from Guava - rear brake pads 90% worn (after 20k) and the water pump is leaking Rolling Eyes

No news on the EPB though, which is promising. Hopefully the clean and adjust as part of the service will be all that's needed.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #16342351st Apr 2016 12:42 pm
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
January was an expensive month. Had it booked in for a new torque converter and ended up with reconditioned gearboxes, too. Along with a new rear prop, it was the best part of £3.5k Shocked

I was hoping that the new TC might give me an improvement in MPG but, if anything, it's been the opposite and over the last couple of fill ups, it's fallen off a cliff. It's due a service soon but, in the meantime, I thought I'd replace the MAP and ECT sensors to see if it made any difference.

Both parts were ordered from Advanced Factors and whilst the ECT sensor is a LR part, the MAP sensor came in Citroen packaging:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

With the engine cover removed, the MAP sensor is easily accessible in the top centre of the engine:

Click image to enlarge

It's secured with a single star drive bolt and then is simply pulled out.

The new part is slightly different to the original:

Click image to enlarge

The ECT sensor is also easy to get to and is located immediately behind the fan cowl:

Click image to enlarge

This sensor is removed by a quarter anti-clockwise turn and then pulls out. It's set into a coolant line and a small amount escaped when it was released, but not enough to be concerned about.

The old sensor does look rather worse for wear, so I'm hopeful that it's the cause of my poor MPG:

Click image to enlarge

Afterwards, it fired up and ran nicely and a quick test drive felt quite promising. I've got more of a run planned tomorrow, so I'll have to see how it goes.

Big thumbs up for sharing this one Thumbs Up

I changed both mine and saw an instant improvement, never seen my D3 over about 23mpg before and I got to a reading of 31mpg, that has since dropped to around 25.5mpg but my gearbox is on it's last legs!!

Post #164262318th Apr 2016 8:34 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Wait for post to be edited ........................................................................................ Whistle

yup

it was deleted. Whistle
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Last edited by caverD3 on 2nd May 2016 1:39 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #164357021st Apr 2016 1:22 am
LandRoverAnorak

Inspired by THIS THREAD started by VVS210, I've just acquired a Ford Focus glasses case and fitted it in place of the drivers' grab handle.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

As with the linked thread, I swapped the mounting posts from the original handle to the new case to enable it to fit flush against the headlining, as the Ford ones are about 5mm taller.

Click image to enlarge

I don't wear sunglasses, but it's a handy place to keep a spare pair of regular glasses.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #16489671st May 2016 7:21 pm
DrRobH

United Kingdom 

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
This time next year I could be looking for a decent local indy... Sad

Rovertune in Reading
Keith Gott in Alton
Conrico in Chertsey
 Visitor from fullfatrr.com
RR Vogue SE 2011 4.4 TDV8
1974 Lightweight 

Post #165826922nd May 2016 7:37 pm
LandRoverAnorak

It looks like it's the end of the road for this thread. My wife and I have just agreed a deal to buy a 2013 D4 XS and so it'll soon be time to sell the D3.

Click image to enlarge

Thanks for reading.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #16761562nd Jul 2016 2:51 pm
looge

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

hi mate i did my front diff oil when i removed the drain plug it went with a litle pop and came out a different colour i put in the same oil as you and cganged it again 6 mths later and all was well with oil inc colour what i did find was the breather pipe for the front dif was blocked it comes up by the r/hand side of the radiator if you are facing the car and it has a small cap on top ,it should turn freely but mine was stuck juast give it a turn and you will feel it start to come loose i have done the oil twice now it has been ok both times i think when the breather is blocked it will buid up pressure in there and get warmer than normal regs howiw.

Post #176331014th Jan 2017 4:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 12 of 13 <123 ... 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >