Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

An Anoraks D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Finally, to cheer myself up from all of this tedious maintenance, I fitted my recently acquired D4 rear lights. These came already fitted with resistors so really were a straight swap.

Half way through:

Click image to enlarge

The finished article:

Click image to enlarge

Originally, I planned to re-fit the light guards, suitably modified, but having offered up the first one I decided against it. The black border on the new lights against the black bodywork changes the proportions considerably and I'm really pleased with the look.

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 24th Mar 2024 11:24 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #131656727th Jul 2014 6:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

Spent a couple of hours yesterday knocking up a bit of storage for the boot:

Click image to enlarge

Despite my general car clutter in the picture, the section on the left is designed to accept a small folding ladder/platform that I use for putting bikes on the roof. The section on the right is designed to be easily removable to enable one rear seat to be used:

Click image to enlarge

Eventually, the whole thing will be finished with paint and rubber matting but it'll have to do as is for the time being due to an upcoming holiday.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 24th Mar 2024 11:27 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13203214th Aug 2014 9:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

This arrived in the post today:

Click image to enlarge

Subject to the weather, I'll be changing the oil in both diffs tomorrow evening Rolling Eyes
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 24th Mar 2024 11:28 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13203234th Aug 2014 9:08 pm
LandRoverAnorak

I'm taking the lack of any comments as people just being in awe of my vehicle DIY skills, so onwards and upwards Laughing

Rain stopped play yesterday so this evening I managed to replace the front diff oil with the correct stuff. I've covered about 400 miles since the last oil change and what came out was still pretty brown, although I guess that's down to the residue of the used-to-be-oil that I drained first time around.

The drain plug had a new little forest of metal fillings. Nowhere near as bad as last time but there were still some distinct tiny flakes visible.

Click image to enlarge

I'm not really sure what to take from this, if I'm honest, but I'm a long way from condemning the diff yet. I'm content with the belief that the nice new expensive oil will protect it for a good while.

I ran out of impetus to do the rear (and the pizza arrived) so that'll have to wait for another day Rolling Eyes
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 24th Mar 2024 11:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13213066th Aug 2014 7:57 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Another day, another oil change Rolling Eyes This time it was the turn of the rear diff. Comparatively easier than the front as it's more accessible, although the larger oil volume means it takes forever to fill.

Anyway, first thing's first - removing the filler plug. This the same as the front, requiring an 8mm hex key, but it wasn't immediately obvious due to corrosion:

Click image to enlarge

A quick tap with a hammer got the key home and then a clean up with wire wool made re-fitting it much easier.

Next, with a container underneath, the drain plug was removed. Again, as with the front, this is a 3/8th square drive and came out quite easily. It revealed a fairly impressive forest of metal filings and gunk:

Click image to enlarge

Once cleaned up though, all was good:

Click image to enlarge

What came out was pretty foul, although it was at least more oil-like than the front. Again, it looks like the original oil, which really makes you wonder what Land Rover were thinking with these things:

Click image to enlarge

Then began the tedious process of re-filling with 1.1 litres of lovely Castrol Syntrax Longlife. With a pipe in the filler hole, I cable-tied it to, er, something to keep it in place:

Click image to enlarge

And then lashed up support for a funnel. It took fifteen minutes to set up and drain the oil then nearly an hour and a half to fill it again Shocked

Click image to enlarge

Oil changes are always satisfying Very Happy Just got the transfer box to now, but that's going to have to wait until next month after holidays.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 25th Mar 2024 9:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13228599th Aug 2014 9:48 pm
LandRoverAnorak

My Discovery is going to have to work for its' living tomorrow. Here it is all loaded up in preparation for caravan towing duties:

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 25th Mar 2024 9:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #132538115th Aug 2014 7:57 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Just back from a couple of weeks' family hols, where the Discovery did exactly the sort of things it was designed for:

Click image to enlarge

With that out of the way, next job on the list is an oil change for the transfer box. I visited the LR dealer in Reading and spent a small fortune on the mysterious 'special transfer box oil', only afterwards realising that I've bought too much Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 25th Mar 2024 9:56 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #13332532nd Sep 2014 7:54 pm
Tiger

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

She's looking good!

How far did you go with the Tin Tent?

Post #13332542nd Sep 2014 7:59 pm
LandRoverAnorak

The New Forest and then Dorset for the Great Dorset Steam Fair. The car park of the latter was 'interesting' following lots and lots of rain Laughing
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #13332552nd Sep 2014 8:01 pm
Iguana

Ukraine 

Sorry been behind with posts, love what you've done, especially the rear storage area - what do you use to support the sides, any additional pics?

May copy you if OK Thumbs Up
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #13332862nd Sep 2014 8:24 pm
robo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

enjoyed your thread, done similar today,diffs,transfer case, engine oil + filter and fuel filter, oh and 2 rear drop links, busy day but nice to see fresh oil going in.
 gone not forgotten 2 classics
gone forgotten 2 p38s
current d3 se 2006 td standard for now 

Post #13332992nd Sep 2014 8:38 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Iguana wrote:
Sorry been behind with posts, love what you've done, especially the rear storage area - what do you use to support the sides, any additional pics?

May copy you if OK Thumbs Up

The sides are supported on more MDF that sit on the bases of the tie downs. They're cut short to avoid the dog guard stays amd then the front corners are supported on individual timber legs. I'll try and get some pics of the parts out of the car.

It all worked perfectly - particularly the removable bit to make one rear seat available. However, I'll probably re-build it from plywood before I need to use it again in anger. In hindsight, the larger span on the right was a bit much for MDF and it's not really taking the knocks very well either.

I'm in two minds whether to leave it in all of the time. For day to day use, I don't really need the divided storage but having the boot floor raised up to nearly top of lower tailgate height is surprisingly handy.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #13336573rd Sep 2014 11:36 am
LandRoverAnorak

Changed the transfer box oil today. All fairly straightforward apart from filling the b@$tard thing up again!

With the drain and filler plugs removed:

Click image to enlarge

No magnetic plugs in this 'box, unfortunately:

Click image to enlarge

My funnel lash-up for re-filling:

Click image to enlarge

What that didn't show was the small plastic water bottle that I had to use to pour the oil into the funnel, as it was the biggest thing that I could get in the space above the funnel. Ten minutes to drain and then another hour lying on my back holding a small bottle in the air to coax the new stuff in Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, eventually got the plugs back in and tidied up:

Click image to enlarge

The oil that came out was a bit discoloured, but nowhere near as bad as the diff oils. There was a smattering of metal filings in the bottom, but nothing to be concerned about:

Click image to enlarge

And the outcome? No noticeable difference whatsoever. Still, the warm glow of satisfaction will keep me going Rolling Eyes
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 25th Mar 2024 10:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #134891627th Sep 2014 11:09 pm
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Nice thread you've got going on here, I'm amazed at the lack of comments though!

Post #134982729th Sep 2014 8:16 pm
Heath_DA

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for taking the time to document your progress Thumbs Up

Post #134984429th Sep 2014 8:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 13 <123 45 ... 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >