Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

An Anoraks D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 13 <123 ... 567 ... 111213>
miko666

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Information

Thanks or all of the useful information.

I am new to the site having only owned my 2007 TD6 for 5 days. The guy I bought it off said he had just serviced it, but I thought I would check it myself.

Put it on ramps undid the sump plate (eventually) i had to drill out one of the securing bolts (it had seized in). Once out I removed the sump plug and drained the oil, replaced the oil filter and topped up the oil

There was no way that the car had just been serviced, the oil was black and the air filter was the same. So don't take a dealers word that your car has just been serviced.

Keeping this in mind having read your thread and the fact that the dealer told lies then you have inspired me to change the oil in both diffs and the transfer box. Your pictures are a great help and your instructions are brilliant for the DIYerlike myself.

Would you know if it is necessary to locate the little nipple on the oil filter or does it locate itself in the housing?

Once again thanks for the information and just like to say how useful and friendly this forum is Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #13517613rd Oct 2014 4:22 am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Hi miko,

Thanks for the kind words. Can't help with the oil filter question though, I'm afraid, as I haven't done that one. Have a look around the site and make use of the search function as the info you need is bound to be on here somewhere.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #13517633rd Oct 2014 5:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Miko - PM sent re oil filter Thumbs Up

Post #13518013rd Oct 2014 8:02 am
LandRoverAnorak

Completed a few more mundane maintenance tasks over the last week or so. New wipers all round (Trico? from eBay, which seem ok so far), Philips Xtreme headlight bulbs as one of the originals blew the other night, and cleaned up the MAP sensor. The latter was a bit gunky but I haven't noticed any change in performance so it can't have been too bad.

I've now got an intermittent alarm problem, which I suspect is the bonnet switch, so that's a job for the weekend Rolling Eyes
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #136346124th Oct 2014 9:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LandRoverAnorak

Took my spare wheel off for the first time today, so that I could have the tyre swapped for one to match the rest. The PO had fitted an RLD spare wheel protector, which is nice, but a sod to remove. Anyway, whilst it was off I thought I'd treat it to a coat of paint:

Click image to enlarge

I'll do the other side tomorrow.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 28th Mar 2024 8:46 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #136547028th Oct 2014 9:31 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Rear Work Light

A few spare hours in the garage this afternoon enabled me to finally make a start on my rear work light. When I bought the D3 my original idea was to mount it on the top of the rear ladder, where there's a convenient bolt. However, this would mean that when the tailgate is open, it would be pointing at the sky. I then came up with a plan for a rotating bracket that would enable the light to point down through the glass, which is what I've now started work on.

The bracket is formed of a section of ali channel and a block of engineering nylon, which has been cut to shape to fit inside the channel. The theory is that the nylon block will get bolted to the ladder and the ali channel, with the light bolted to the end, will be fixed to the nylon so that it can rotate vertically around the end. It will be prevented from rotating during normal use by a small sliding bolt, like this:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The carefully shaped and drilled nylon block:

Click image to enlarge

It's still a work in progress, partly because I ran out of time and partly because I need a longer bolt for the pivot. The bolt fixing the light to the ali channel will also be changed for a button head put in backwards so that the head bears on the underside of the nylon when rotated, as per the third picture.

Eventually it will be painted up, but I'll probably bolt it on and give it a try for a bit first. The light is pretty heavy and I want to be sure that the nylon block is going to be up to the weight hanging off the end before finally committing myself.

Assuming that it all works in the way that I can see it in my head, the next problem is getting the wiring to the inside of the vehicle. I've got half an idea of using the rubber conduit for the wiring to the top tailgate, but until it's all bolted in place I'm not sure exactly how the cable will run Rolling Eyes
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 28th Mar 2024 8:53 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #136550428th Oct 2014 10:27 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Door Cill Protection

I've been thinking about tidying up the slightly scuffed cills on my D3 for a little while. Originally, I was going to use some grip tape but realised that my children would probably end up with cheese grater legs. I then found some vinyl with a brushed aluminium finish that looked a bit more promising.

So, half an hour with a tape measure and some scissors turned this:

Click image to enlarge

Into this:

Click image to enlarge

I obviously did the other side as well:

Click image to enlarge

And the back doors, which were slightly more tricky:

Click image to enlarge

Time will tell how resilient they are, but as the vinyl was only £5 it's worth a punt.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 28th Mar 2024 8:59 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #136659230th Oct 2014 9:36 pm
LandRoverAnorak

A slightly more whimsical addition this time...

Click image to enlarge

Oh, and finished refurbing my spare wheel protector:

Click image to enlarge

I also added some neoprene foam to the top face before sticking it back under the wheel.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 28th Mar 2024 9:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13691085th Nov 2014 9:34 pm
focus340

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Great thread.

Reminded me that I need to change my diff oils sometime soon for that feel good factor Thumbs Up

Post #137128610th Nov 2014 5:48 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Red suspension warning light

My D3 has been for a wash at Guava today and whilst they had it, they've attended to an annoying suspension problem. Recently, I've been getting the red suspension light together with warnings including 'special programmes off' and 'max 30mph'. There were also problems reaching access height. It'd be fine for days and then need re-setting four times in five miles.

I suspected the compressor but booked it into Guava for them to take a look. I threw in the pack of height sensors that i bought recently, which turned put to be a really good thing. Guava found a faulty sensor but also, more significantly, evidence that they'd been fiddled with in the past and both front ones had damaged connectors. Anyway, they swapped all four as I already had them and re-calibrated the suspension. All being well, that will have solved the problem and my compressor lives to fight another day.

Oh, they also pointed out that I need new front pads and disks, and my locking wheel nuts are failing Rolling Eyes

Top service from Guava again Thumbs Up
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #13840004th Dec 2014 9:34 pm
mx468

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Tonga GreenLR3
Great tool for replacing oil in LR3

Hi you need one of these for the oil replacement in your diffs and transfer case. Very cheap and works great. Just be careful of the connections, mine fell off a couple of times and oil everywhere. Just use some electrical tape to secure the connections. Here's a link http://www.auto-lighting.co.uk/product-eng...PHON-.html

Or something like this, just screws on oil bottle and than you pump away Smile

Narpy's Grill Mod, Suspension Rods, Ultra guage, wrangler Goodyear duratracs 265/60/18, new thermostat, diff oils changed, brake switch new, aluminum rack floor, LED driving lights in foglights, rear camera, just need gvif unit, next on list! New front arb bushings, new front valve block, 191,000 miles.  
Post #139068616th Dec 2014 5:40 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Hmm, I think I prefer the 'big syringe' type like this one:

Click image to enlarge

http://www.toollineuk.com/product.php/section//sn/VS405

The diffs require a measured amount of oil and this allows for that.
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #139085916th Dec 2014 9:36 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Cold weather and dark winter days have discouraged playing with Land Rovers for the last few months. However, Geoff is lined up to fit this little lot tomorrow, which should making stopping less dramatic:

Click image to enlarge

With thanks to Advanced Factors for top service as usual Smile
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Last edited by LandRoverAnorak on 28th Mar 2024 9:06 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #143206423rd Feb 2015 9:57 pm
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Still loving the thread, and i'll be looking back through it soon when I decide to change my diff oils Thumbs Up

Is that the V8 brake kit?

Post #143207723rd Feb 2015 10:11 pm
LandRoverAnorak

Yes 8)
 Darren

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #143209123rd Feb 2015 10:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 13 <123 ... 567 ... 111213>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >