Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Trailer Accident - Removable Towbar Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

crews control wrote:
Unfortunately, the safety culture I witness at many large companies has more to do with not being able to sue the Cleaner or the Chairman than it does with nurturing personal responsibility.....

Not a safety culture where earn my crust...its a set of disciplines that have been realised, used & complied with by all. By disciplines I dont mean disciplinary's but rules, procedures & protocols that are there & are used. To the letter.

We all want to go home from work in one piece....nothing to do with Censored covering for the potential to sue or be sued.

We have a duty of care (as all employers do)...all employed are bound to comply with what we are all about as they have to take care

We abide by all the legislation to the letter & the ACOPS (approved codes of practice) that go along with all thats there...we dont have to guess or do it differently site to site - for what isn't under HSE scrutiny we have our own company rules.

Do things go wrong & accidents occur ? - sadly yes - usually when people dont follow rules, by pass systems or take chances......we deal with this fairly & firmly.......or we have kit that fails.....which is quite rare. As we maintain & check to stringent standards. No system is absolute.

Above all we use common sense....personal "initiatives" are directed to following rules....not doing their own thing. We do stop things either before we start....because if we have doubts or cause to do that or part way through as conditions have altered. The stop button can (& is) be pressed by anybody at any level. No recriminations.

Over 40 years in industry on shore /off shore - at home & (very much) abroad - what I am involved in now is the probably the best I have been involved in. I dont like saying the best as "best is the enemy of better".....fundamentally we dont stop where we are..... we not only abide, control, scrutinise & audit (internally & externally)....we aim to improve.....We believe in what we do....We also learn.

To reply to the post above that suggests the Tow Hook thing "could be a bad batch"....I would question this as an automotive product "things" are made under strict systems (TS16949...way above BS/EN/ISO usuals)....the whole process is...checked & the checks are checked
To me the concept appears to be OK the actual design is questionable (the way the concept / idea has been realised)

DG - very true we are all destined for a demise (the biggest cause of die-ing is living) - we dont know by what or for that matter when - but to me it isn't going to be with or through a piece of kit that I have bought & use & know about......that may have design or possible flaws. That has been identified with issues....that would be really silly & avoidable.

My letter to LR well under way......for my own benefit I am not only concerned about the whole thing but curious to know the way LandRover will respond.
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #13226319th Aug 2014 4:07 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
personal "initiatives" are directed to following rules....not doing their own thing.

I have a nasty feeling we're talking about the same company! Laughing

Edit: I now know we're not... which is a good thing!

Post #13227299th Aug 2014 7:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >