Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Body weight sensor removed from D3 front seat ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Body weight sensor removed from D3 front seat ?

I have a nasty feeling that I know what this is, but would like confirmation please:-

I'll tell the story later!

NJSS

Edited to change the subject of the thread.
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Last edited by NJSS on 11th Jul 2014 9:31 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #130977911th Jul 2014 8:28 am
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

looks as if body weight sensor
YDB500361

Post #130978011th Jul 2014 8:30 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Body weight sensor, Nigel. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #130978211th Jul 2014 8:32 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Body Weight Sensor - YDB500361

Oh Censored - that's exactly what I thought.

A local trimmer, who came highly recommended, removed this from the passenger's seat when trying, unsuccessfully, to fit a replacement heating element!

I assume the seat belt alarm won't sound, but are there any other consequences, or MoT problems ?

NJSS

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #130978411th Jul 2014 8:40 am
grzesiul

MoT peeps do not check this as far as i know

if you disable seat belts sound alarm it would not be even noticed but seat belt light might never come on while passenger is occupying the seat

G

Post #130979211th Jul 2014 9:11 am
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

I do wonder if the absence of this will affect which airbags get deployed in the event of an impact, though?

Is the D3 intelligent enough to realise that if there is nobody sat in the passenger seat then the passenger airbags do not need to be deployed? Or do they all get deployed anyway?

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #130979511th Jul 2014 9:13 am
grzesiul

PRETENSIONERS

Item Part Number Description
1 - Safety belt buckle
2 - Boot
3 - Anchor bolt
4 - Piston and tube
5 - Electrical connectors for inflator and buckle switch

The pretensioners are used to tighten the front safety belts during a collision to ensure the occupants are securely held in their seats. A pretensioner is integrated into each front safety belt buckle.

Each pretensioner has a tube containing an inflator and a piston. The inflator is connected to the RCM (restraints control module) . The piston is attached to a steel cable, the opposite end of which is attached to the safety belt buckle.

On receipt of a fire signal from the RCM (restraints control module) , the inflator generates nitrogen gas that rapidly expands to drive the piston along the tube, pulling the cable and drawing the safety belt buckle downwards.

SAFETY BELT SENSORS
The buckle of each front safety belt incorporates a Hall effect sensor that provides a safety belt status signal to the RCM (restraints control module) . The RCM (restraints control module) broadcasts the status of the two front safety belts on the high speed CAN (controller area network) bus for use by the instrument cluster.

IMPACT SENSORS

Impact sensors are installed in the front and both sides of the vehicle. The use of multiple impact sensors provides shorter air bag trigger times, through faster detection of lateral and longitudinal acceleration, and improves detection accuracy.

There are two front impact sensors attached to brackets on the body front support frame, just above each front longitudinal.

There are six side impact sensors located in the passenger compartment, as follows:

One attached to each front door.
One attached to the base of each B pillar.
One installed in each rear quarter, above the rear wheelarch.

Each impact sensor incorporates an accelerometer and a microcontroller powered by a feed from the RCM (restraints control module) . The power feed also provides the interface connection through which the impact sensor communicates with the RCM (restraints control module) using serial data messages. Acceleration is evaluated by the microcontroller and transmitted to the RCM (restraints control module) , which then makes the decision on whether or not to activate the air bags and pretensioners.

When the ignition is switched on the RCM (restraints control module) supplies power to the impact sensors, which perform a self test. After satisfactory self tests the impact sensors continually output 'sensor active' messages to the RCM (restraints control module) . If a fault is detected the relevant impact sensor sends a fault message, instead of the sensor active message, to the RCM (restraints control module) . The RCM (restraints control module) then stores a related fault code and illuminates the SRS (supplemental restraint system) warning indicator.

Post #130980011th Jul 2014 9:22 am
grzesiul

And more:

OCCUPANT SENSING
There are 2 types of occupant sensing:

In all markets except North America, vehicles have an occupant detection system to activate the seat belt minder
On NAS vehicles, an occupant classification system provides signals to the RCM (restraints control module) to allow the correct arming of the passenger air bag and corresponding indicator.

Occupant Detection System

1 - Seat cushion
2 - Pressure switch

The occupant detection system can only determine if the front passenger seat is occupied or unoccupied. The occupant detection system consists of a pressure switch installed between the foam padding and the cover of the front passenger seat cushion.

The pressure switch incorporates a number of load cells connected in series and embedded in a plastic film. Weight on the pressure sensor increases the resistance of the circuit.

The instrument cluster supplies a reference voltage to the pressure switch and measures the current draw to determine the occupancy status. From the occupancy status, and the status of the front passenger safety belt (received from the RCM (restraints control module) on the high speed CAN (controller area network) bus), the instrument cluster determines the belt minder status.

Occupant Classification System
WARNING : All Land Rover vehicles, with the exception of Defender, are equipped with passenger air bags. Passenger air bags offer well documented benefits in crash protection for adult front passenger seat occupants but their deployment can be harmful to children and infants sat in the front passenger seat of the vehicle. Land Rover recommends that children and infants are placed in the rear seats of the vehicle.

NOTE :
All new Land Rover vehicles sold in North America comply with the FMVSS208 legislation due to the fitment of the occupant classifications system.

1 - Seat cushion
2 - Pressure pad
3 - Pressure tube
4 - Pressure sensor
5 - Safety belt tension sensor
6 - Occupant classification module

Occupant classification system comprises an ECU, attached to the underside of the seat, a silicon filled bladder with a pressure sensor fitted between the cushion foam and the seat pan and a seat belt tension sensor. When an occupant sits on the seat a pressure is created in the bladder and the occupant weight is determined from the pressure generated. The weight is compared against 4 classification thresholds. These are:

Empty
Occupied inhibit status (6 year old child, 3 year old child, rear facing/forward facing 12 month infant seats and booster seats)
Occupied allow status (weight greater than 5th precentile female) and the airbag enabled/disabled as appropriate
Indeterminate state.

Classification Deactivation Indicator SRS Warning Indicator
Seat unoccupied OFF OFF
Occupied inhibit ON OFF
Occupied allow OFF OFF
Indeterminate state OFF ON

OCS module contains accelerometers and algorithms to compensate for the effects of longitudinal, lateral and vertical forces acting on the vehicle whilst being driven. The belt tension sensor is used to offset loads forced into the seat by 'cinched' child seats (where a child seat load on the seat is increased by a highly tensioned seat belt) and also dynamic belt loading (Off-road/aggressive driving styles).

The belt minder system on cars equipped with the occupant classification system uses the RCM (restraints control module) to detect seat occupancy status based on calculations within the RCM (restraints control module) , with the instrument cluster then determining whether a seat belt reminder should be activated based on the status of the seat belt buckle switches and vehicle speed.

Post #130980111th Jul 2014 9:24 am
NJSS

Thanks grzesiul

What's your interpretation of this?

I will have this mat refitted ASAP, but have to find a new more competent trimmer.

In the interim should I not carry passengers in the passenger seat?

NJSS

Post #130980511th Jul 2014 9:30 am
grzesiul

If I was around I would fit it for you as I have done full trim meself although PITA but doable

My advice: fit asap and before that drive carefully as i got not clue how restraint system would react if reacted at all no first hand experience Mr. Green

G

Post #130980611th Jul 2014 9:32 am
NJSS

Thanks grzesiul

That's my conclusion, now to find a local trimmer with a little more sense that the last one.

NJSS

Post #130980811th Jul 2014 9:35 am
grzesiul

seat base is heal by 4 torx screws so easy to take out in the following places:

seat trim is heald to the frame by the hog rings and number of plastic clips which are PITA to remove but small flat head helps a lot:

occupancy senson lands in the following spot;

G

Post #130981011th Jul 2014 9:42 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

NJSS, is it possible that the new heating element came with a new body sensor, so the old one (or new) is actually fitted?
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #130981811th Jul 2014 10:07 am
NJSS

Barn1e

Sadly no.

The fitter stripped the seat to fit an new element, but gave up on the job. He then rebuilt the seat leaving out what he presumably thought was the defective heating element.

Sadly this was not only the old heating element but also the body weight sensor!

NJSS

Post #130982211th Jul 2014 10:22 am
grzesiul

you should be getting this element for your leather trim

http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/1195...___heating

G

Post #130982411th Jul 2014 10:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >