Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Aaaaarrrgh
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
jasonhb

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Aaaaarrrgh

Had my D3 for 5 weeks, made one payment on my finance and on Monday morning, a stupid Censored pulled straight across the chevrons on a motorway exit slip, straight back into lane one and tried to take the space that my car was taking up.

Never saw her coming and now faced with the prospect that my beloved new (to me) car is going to be written off. I am furious to say the least and so stressed out not knowing what to do next.

I fortunately have gap insurance so at least I will be able to clear the finance, but leaves me out of pocket as far as the deposit is concerned, they'll pay out way less than I paid for the car and I'll be in a situation where I cannot afford to buy another one. None of which is my fault.

Her insurance company have contacted me and are handling the claim directly with me including personal injury and hire care etc.

I've never been so fed up and angry. I know it's only a car and thank god it was a D3 as it undoubtedly minimised the potential for injury on my family however, in the cold light of day, I am absolutely gutted.

God knows what I'm going to do now. To add insult to injury, they've given me a Touareg to drive around in. What a dreadful car that is.

Jason
 '05 D3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver
Blanked EGR's
Goodyear Duratracs
Long list of upgrades and mods to come 

Last edited by jasonhb on 19th Jul 2014 5:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #131328319th Jul 2014 5:15 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Really sorry to hear your news, but pleased you and your family are safe.

Shouldn't your GAP insurance cover the difference in full between the insurance payout and the price paid?

Make sure you try to increase any offer from the insurance company, so start researching the cost of similar age and spec D3's.

Post #131328819th Jul 2014 5:20 pm
beanie
Site Sponsor 

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If it were me and it's only cosmetic damage, I'd look to buy it back off the insurance and replace a few panels, parts are always about on here and there are plenty in breakers yards Thumbs Up
 Altox GSM FBH controller thread

IID Pro MV License - D3, D4 & RRS - Enabling, Updates, D4 & RRS Timed / Remote Climate, D4 Bluetooth fitting
PM me for details

Owner of the original "Beanie" grille
D4 & RRS style D3 grilles made to order

Post #131329219th Jul 2014 5:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gje

Wales 

TBH that damage only looks cosmetic - unless you confirm otherwise.
Get the other insurers to pay for repairs in full, you have the final say.

Post #131329719th Jul 2014 5:33 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I dont know whether you can get fully covered on the insurances and then buy it back rather cheaply, because it does look cosmetic. The colour is popular, so I should think the right coloured panels can be found. If not you, someone could get a bargain.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #131331119th Jul 2014 6:01 pm
Cellerdweller

England 

Glad to here your safe
As others have said looks cosmetic only and most of it will be available so a pretty straightforward repair .
I hope it all goes well for you Thumbs Up
 You're not afraid of the dark are you ?  
Post #131332119th Jul 2014 6:18 pm
jasonhb

I thought it was only cosmetic really but it definitely needs 2 new alloys as well and some front suspension components.

The kicker is that I drove it for a few miles afterwards, then when I stopped, the battery went flat in about 30 seconds.

The recovery guy tried to jump start it to drive it on to the trailer, it turned over but then some smoke started coming out from the battery side of the engine. I can only assume there must be a dead short somewhere.

I truly hope it's repairable. It's my pride and joy and I've worked bloody hard to buy it.

Jason
Blanked EGR's
Goodyear Duratracs

Post #131332319th Jul 2014 6:28 pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

If it's not your fault then I don't think the other sides' insurer can just write it off. They should repair it to your satisfaction.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #131332419th Jul 2014 6:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nearlee

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

âž•1 with land rover anorak, because it's not your fault, and it's there insurance you have the right to demand full repair regardless what there insurance company think's

Post #131335319th Jul 2014 7:38 pm
jasonhb

I really hope that is the case

Jason
Blanked EGR's
Goodyear Duratracs

Post #131338919th Jul 2014 8:39 pm
fisherman

Wales 

The TP insurance company are only obliged to repair the D3 if it's commercially viable, that is they don't spend more fixing it than writing it off and paying market value to you less the salvage they get in return. Once they pay you out, they own the vehicle. The break point for repair is normally about 60% of the value. You are in a position to negotiate so you need to get some proof to back up your side of the "argument". Go online and print off similar cars from Autotrader with the same spec and mileage, make sure they are similar or they'll dismiss everything if you take the Censored .
The repair they are obliged to carry out has to be with new panels via a recognised and qualified repairer but you have the say on who repairs it. If the write off value seems reasonable at a Cat D or even C it can be repaired and put back on the road. Be aware that when you then come to sell it, it's value will be reduced by 20% for a D and 40% for a C. You need to work that into your sums if you decide to go the write off and repair route. I personally couldn't be bothered and would rather get the car replaced. The gap insurance is there to cover the "gap" between what you get from the insurance company and what you paid so don't worry about that. At the end of the day you should be back in the position you were in before the accident.
Huw
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #131349220th Jul 2014 7:56 am
jasonhb

Huw, that's brilliant information, thank you so much

Jason
Blanked EGR's
Goodyear Duratracs

Post #131349420th Jul 2014 8:00 am
jasonhb

Update.

Finally had a call from the assessor who was looking at my car. He wanted to ask about the electrical issue and as to how and when it occurred. He wanted to see whether it was a failure or a result of the accident so it is currently at Land Rover (at their cost) to diagnose the problems.

Talked to him about the accident damage and his first impression is that it is not a write off Bow down

I complained to the car hire company about how terrible the Touareg was and that it is not really a like for like with the D3 and they said they would sort something else out.

A day later a brand new Nissan Pathfinder arrived for me. Not a great car at all, but a massive improvement on the Touareg.

I'll keep you posted

Jason
Blanked EGR's
Goodyear Duratracs

Post #131614726th Jul 2014 7:58 am
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

That's great news it appears it is not going to be a write off, so I guess it is keep your fingers crossed time and hope Land Rover don't find any problems.

I am surprised the Pathfinder is better than the VW, I would have thought it would be the other way around and cheaper to higher for the other parties insurer too.

Post #131615326th Jul 2014 8:08 am
jasonhb

The Touareg is a terrible car. It is uncomfortable, cramped and claustrophobic inside and has a tiny boot. From that point of view, it is totally style over function.

However, much worse than that is the gearbox. it has an 8 speed auto unit that never knows what gear it should be in. The ratios are too close together and it is always changing down when you don't expect it. Add in really porr throttle mapping, it makes it a terrible drive. You put your foot down gently to pull away and nothing happens, more throttle, nothing, more throttle, nothing and then it takes off like you are racing someone away from the lights.

It is the same when you slow for a corner, it thinks 4th gear, decides against that and changes into 3rd which is ok, halfway round it downshifts into 2nd and you accelerate away when you least expect it.

The Pathfinder is massive in comparison and much more airey in the cabin. It is far less refined than the VW and has a rather agricultural engine but other than that, it is a much more pleasant driving experience.

Jason
Blanked EGR's
Goodyear Duratracs

Post #131620126th Jul 2014 11:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >