Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Panic stations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
iangam

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Panic stations

Jumped in the D3 today for a 70 mile round trip to pick someone up. Less than a mile in and the battery light comes on, after cursing I decide not to take the chance and shoot home for the wife's F2. Less that a mile up the road phone rings, stop, wife says will it be steam or smoke coming from your car. More cursing, shoot home to find that horrible burning smell. Quickly disconnected the battery and wondered what had gone off. I then looked on here to find that it appears normal for the smoke when the alternator packs up so hopefully that's all it is, guess I'll use the RAC for the first time since I joined. Has anyone ever known one to catch fire due to the alternator as it was parked right against the house.

Post #13193402nd Aug 2014 7:34 pm
Jasonb

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I've just the exact same thing happen to my D3.

I started it up as I needed to move it on the drive. Luckily I hadn't gone anywhere. While it was idling I heard a faint noise that sounded like a dry bearing on the alternator, there was also a nasty electrical smell.

I then noticed the battery charge light was on on the dash. Shut the car down as I came to terms with yet another large D3 related bill in the last few weeks. Came back to it 5 minutes later to discover smoke pour from the bonnet. Luckily I was at home with all tools to hand and quickly disconnected the battery. God knows how this would have turned out if it happened yesterday when I driving cross country.

Need to order a new alternator in the morning, I hope it's just the alternator and not a load from fried wiring.

I've removed the air box and turbo pipe, but access isn't that great.

Sad

Post #137813523rd Nov 2014 5:53 pm
iangam

Mine was just a new alternator, a mate had his do the same last week and was also lucky enough to be at home with tools at hand to disconnect the battery. Thankfully we haven't found out what would happen if you couldn't get the battery off. I also had noticed a sound like a dry bearing from the front when idling but didn't bother acting on it.

Post #137814623rd Nov 2014 6:12 pm
Jasonb

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Managed to remove the alternator this morning without removing the viscous fan. Instead I removed the 4x8mm bolts that hold the fan blades to the viscous hub. This allowed the fan to be moved sideways and created enough remove to get the unit out.

New Denso unit coming tomorrow from Maltings Land Rover for £212 with the postage to Bristol.

My local LR dealer wanted something like £450 for a alternator with £75 deposit for the return of the old one. It was a short conversion Smile

Post #137849124th Nov 2014 2:18 pm
iangam

Mine was £390, which included fetching the car, towing it, and fitting so I'd guess you alternator price sounds about right. Most say you need the spanner to remove the fan so I didn't even look, you found a way around that one.

Post #137854424th Nov 2014 5:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >