Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

One year of ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stevep

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
One year of ownership

Hi, I was just sitting in a fast food restaurant idly staring out the window when a freelander parked next to my disco3 which triggered some sort of LR synapse in my brain which led me to check out this forum for the first time in a while.

Actually that's a good thing, because it shows how few problems I've had. I bought the vehicle sight unseen (I know, I know) from a used car dealer, I had already decided to go for a V8 because 1- I'd had so much trouble with my previous van with turbos, EGR valves, sooty sensors etc etc that it put me off common rail diesels. And 2- I'd had an eBay rush of blood to the head a few months prior and bought a Porsche 928 which gave me a lust for V8s (car now gone.)

My reasoning was also that since nobody wants V8s for the obvious economy reasons, I paid several thousand pounds less than a similar mileage diesel. At my annual mileage, I worked out that I'd pay the difference in initial cost over 4 years of extra fuel cost. So to my mind, it was a form of interest-free loan, with the bonus of 300hp. So I fill it up when it's empty and never think about mpgs.

And I've not regretted it for a minute. I love the instant and smooth power delivery and the quiet refinement (it's an HSE too.) I don't cosset it however, I bought it to replace a crew cab van, so it's got a roof rack (I've had everything from 10 sheets of MDF to 5m lengths of aluminium box sections to railway sleepers on there) and often have all the seats folded away for trips to the dump. I have forklifted pallets into it, one time with over a tonne of stainless steel plate when I miscalculated the weight (didn't corner too well, that time...) An unexpected bonus was when I did some work on the Olympic park, when only site vehicles were allowed so nobody could drive their cars in, I plonked an amber beacon on the roof and was allowed through all the security checkpoints because the official LLDC cars were also silver discos.

Anyway the reason for this post was to report that, despite my initial worries after reading the online reviews, the car hasn't failed me once. The annual service found a worn wishbone and a broken clock spring (air bag light came on just before MOT) but i'd expect maintenance items on a 9 yr old car.

So my review after 14 months- highly versatile family/work vehicle, bombproof in my case. I love driving it, it's as fast and smooth as most cars (not the porker, obviously,) and its a van when I need it to be.

Thumbs up from me.

PS it's mostly used around town but also handled trips to Switzerland and Vendee in France with ease.

Post #13223048th Aug 2014 7:29 pm
jumpinjack

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Great post Very Happy but brave..... Something bound to break after typing that Rolling with laughter

Post #13223158th Aug 2014 7:39 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 
Re: One year of ownership

stevep wrote:
, the car hasn't failed me once.

Yep, now you've blown it. There are some things that are just tempting fate too much. Laughing Laughing

Post #13223208th Aug 2014 7:45 pm
stevep

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hmm yes that did cross my mind as I hit submit. I'll be back soon for some advice then...

Post #13223318th Aug 2014 7:54 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >