Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air Compressor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cas1876

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Air Compressor

My Air compressor blew up after less then 2 yrs. The garage want to replace it with landrovers new updated air compressor but the warranty company have offered to pay for a part sold by British Parts at half the cost. The part they are advising is a Hitachi Eas Air Suspension Compressor & Relay Kit. Has anyone used one of these and are they any good or should I go with the Landrover one at twice the price.

Post #13325641st Sep 2014 3:04 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It'll be the same as you have now.

Post #13325691st Sep 2014 3:16 pm
cas1876

so in other words the Hitachi if I was to fit it would more then likely blow again within a couple of years. British Parts are adamant they have updated the relay to make it better. I think I will have to pay the difference and go for the landrover part. What's the point of a warranty. I also have to replace the pipes as they blew too.

Post #13325711st Sep 2014 3:19 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

The amk one is the updated one. Comes with new pipework and relay and covers. I fitted one to mine last year. Good guide on here, makes it simple to install. You may need a software update too. Thumbs Up

Post #13325761st Sep 2014 3:28 pm
DiscoNels

United States 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

cas1876 wrote:
so in other words the Hitachi if I was to fit it would more then likely blow again within a couple of years. British Parts are adamant they have updated the relay to make it better. I think I will have to pay the difference and go for the landrover part. What's the point of a warranty. I also have to replace the pipes as they blew too.

One should ask oneself what caused the compressor to "blow". Replacing the compressor may get you up and going again, however if there are clogged air valve blocks etc from broken down dessicant (white powder) in the system then expect the same to happen no matter which compressor you replace it with. Was the compressor running continuously prior to blowing? Did you have any fault messages? Read the many posts on this forum, it is well documented as to causes and fixes for compressors.
 1998 Discovery LSE - Gold, 249,000+ miles, completely stock
2007 Range Rover SC - White, 63,000 mi
2006 Discovery 3 HSE - Locking E-Diff, Rover Specialties rock sliders, 275/65/18 Cooper STT PRO, LLAMS suspension controller, LR Expedition Roof Rack. Asfir Rear Diff, Tactical 4x4 (Gas Tank Skid, Rear Bumper, and Front Bumper w/12K winch), Traxide Split Charge System, Overland Solar + Lensun Solar panels
BBS Nanocom Evolution and Gap Diagnostics IID BT Tool 

Post #13326091st Sep 2014 4:48 pm
cas1876

Thanks for your reply Disconels, the garage doing the job are replacing all the pipes as the dealer who sold me the car and who originally replaced the compressor in October 2012 did not bother to replace the pipes and did not use the new upgraded compressor but the original one that Landrover had advised should not be used any longer. Before the compressor failed I had no warning apart from a burning smell from the rear followed by a warning message on the dash.

The guy at the local garage fixing the car used to work for Landrover (harwoods) as a mechanic for 11 years before joining his father's business and I trust he knows what he is doing as he is replacing compressor and pipes to make sure I do not suffer the same problem. I literally just returned from driving in Spain for 3 weeks when the compressor blew, thank god it did not happen when the car was full of holiday gear and the family as it would have been catastrophic.

Lets hope when I get the car back tomorrow it is all good. So far since buying the car 2 years ago with 36k miles I have had 2 new compressors, a new timing belt (both changed), a water leak (behind drivers door card), new EGR valves, new Alternator, new front suspension arms and new brake hoses. I feel the car is brand new now and that it will run for a long time fingers crossed. Its only done 20k miles since I have had it so it is still a young engine.

Post #13326551st Sep 2014 5:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >