Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Considering buying a D3....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

£11k can get you a nice one if you look about.

At that price your buying into the lower end of the market depending on what spec you want and go for.
Only saying as I was in the same price range 2 years ago, I went HSE as that was the only spec I would consider, I keep my cars for 3-4 years so go for the best spec there is.

My first year only cost me £260 repairs. 2x lower wishbones and steering arms.
Second year was over £3000. However, I did a full and complete suspension refresh, brake refresh and overhaul, sorted a few other items and flushed the gearbox.

Doing that has wiped off all the items a D3 can wear out for another 5+ years so a good investment.

Buying what is an 7-10 year old car is going to bring items that are at the end of their working life, you can either pick at them as and when they go. Or gut the full lot in one hit.

They are however, fantastic cars to own. Mine does everything I need. From capable off roader, to 7 seater, to van, tow car, excellent motorway cruiser to town crawler.

Mine still has some issues I want to solve, cosmetic ones as I'm fussy with my cars and I like them to look good.

There are loads of threads on how to look after them, basic guides to sort common issues and plenty of excellent site sponsers who can provide parts and labour at competitive prices.

I've had mine for 2 years, I've done 30k in it and it's failed me only one due to dead starter motor.
It's been the most reliable car I've owned because I've looked after it, changed parts before they failed and kept on top of it. Plus I've given it a few stern talks so it knows who's boss. Rolling with laughter

Buy one.

Post #134633223rd Sep 2014 9:24 am
andychelt

United Kingdom 
Re: Considering buying a D3....

SKRUFF wrote:

My budget for a D3 is approx 11k. With a little left for contigency.

Obviously I am after one which is going to be reliable...

There's a nice one for sale here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic116006.html Whistle

Well serviced and maintained for under £10K leaving you with approx. £1K for any future servicing or maintenance, but you won't have to worry about tyres, brake pads or discs for a while as I believe they've just been done....... Laughing

Post #134829526th Sep 2014 3:33 pm
SKRUFF

Hi - thanks for drawing your motor to my attention Smile

I am still feeling cautious about going for a D3, as I really dont want to be constantly having to replace mechanical components..

Ideally I would have gone for black, but actually I do like your Tonga green Thumbs Up

The interior wood trim isn't to my taste though, do you happen to know if this is an easy job to replace with another colour?

Cheers

Post #134866927th Sep 2014 10:42 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

D3s do take some maintenance but they more than make up for it. Thumbs Up

You won't get better help and advice for any other car, 99%+ of problems can be fixed and many are not anything to worry about with a bit of knowledge.

I would suggest you pick carefully, take your time and go for it. Very Happy

Another forum member's car is often a good start.

Yes, the wood trim can easily be changed. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #134868627th Sep 2014 11:32 am
Crost

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

and maintenance can be good!

I had to change the front bearing and brake sensor today and it got me out of a shopping trip Thumbs Up
 Mark

Remember its only an obsession....

Mods:
Original Beanie Narpy Grill, Black lettering, De-Tango'ed, Side steps, Hids LEDs upgrade, Halo DRL, Smoked side repeaters, D4 Bluetooth upgrade, Flacks magic with the fault mate, Upgraded D4 compressor, ERG's blanked, Tints, D4 rear lights, Short rails & cross bars, LR Ladder. Reversing camera (needs activating!!) 

Post #134873427th Sep 2014 3:17 pm
andychelt

United Kingdom 

SKRUFF wrote:

The interior wood trim isn't to my taste though, do you happen to know if this is an easy job to replace with another colour?

When I got the wood trim to put in they were like gold dust to get hold of so I'm sure there'd be a few people happy to come and swap it!! Laughing

Post #134882527th Sep 2014 7:42 pm
r1mad

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

i bought an 06 hse for that money . only had just over 2 months and had fuel leak . new fuel lines at landrover and viscose fan along with air con condensor and all seals.. also alternator (2 of these as 1st one pooped ) luckilly the fuel and viscose fan which came to about £1300 was paid for by garage i bought it off . it also needs a few brake lines and got play on steering which will have to be done before mot . so looks like its gona be a lean year lol Mad

Post #135792514th Oct 2014 2:20 pm
sootyrocks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Hi,

I've got a 05 HSE which I'm selling, unfortunately I'm too new so can't upload info here. But if you want any more details just let me know Thumbs Up

Post #136242722nd Oct 2014 1:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >