Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Stereo stuck in "Phone Mode" - fixed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
kona_221

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Oceandriven, did you swap it with another radio of the same model or a different one? Not seen many VUX500320's, but seen VUX500330's?

Has anyone else swapped the unit with a later model and got it to work? Read something about them being coded from a particular vin number onwards?
 54 D3 TDV6 AUTO HSE - Oct13 > Present
EGR Blank'd, Geoff's Trans Flush, RLD Sump Guard & Wheel Protector, Clear Side Repeaters, De-Tango'd, Beanie Grill, Colour Coded Arches & Tailgate, D4 Rear Lights, Traxide Split Charge, Yellow Top Aux Battery

51 Defender TD5 110 Country - Oct09 > Nov13 

Post #134104215th Sep 2014 6:01 pm
oceandriven

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Kona,

I put a VUX500520 which is a Range Rover Sport unit in as my replacement. It's pretty much the same unit as far as I can understand. I also have a VUX500330 but it doesn't seem to work. It powers on and can tune to a station but is not transmitting any audio to the amplifier so I'm not sure if this is the limitation you speak of or if I have a dud unit.

Post #134107815th Sep 2014 6:43 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'm pretty sure mine is the VUX500520, which I think is the D3 version. Can check tomorrow if you need.

Post #134113615th Sep 2014 7:50 pm
oceandriven

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

I may very well have it wrong.. have looked at so many model numbers over the last week Razz
Will also check tomorrow.

Post #134113815th Sep 2014 7:51 pm
piecost76

United Kingdom 

Today the pixies have been out & mine is now working again!

Have not done anything other than pray Thumbs Up
 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Defender 110 XS 

Post #134454919th Sep 2014 6:47 pm
kona_221

piecost76, could you ask them nicely to pop round to mine and fix my car aswell? Wink

I have got a new Alternator (a great service as ever from Steve at AF) waiting in the wings as my voltages still seem a bit off.

Also waiting to borrow an old VUX500320 with a CD error from a mate to check against.
EGR Blank'd, Geoff's Trans Flush, RLD Sump Guard & Wheel Protector, Clear Side Repeaters, De-Tango'd, Beanie Grill, Colour Coded Arches & Tailgate, D4 Rear Lights, Traxide Split Charge, Yellow Top Aux Battery

Last edited by kona_221 on 28th Sep 2014 9:42 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #134456619th Sep 2014 7:02 pm
kona_221

I didn't managed to get hold of a spare unit to test with, however it is now fixed....!

I had been searching the forums for others with the same problem and I came across this on Land Rover Forums - http://landroverforums.com/forum/general-t...nly-22463/

Quote:

03-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Ciqir Ciqir

Greetings. Resurrecting an old post I know but I wanted to share how I fixed my Land Rover radio being Stuck In Phone Mode in hopes that someone searching for a solution like I did may find it in the future and it may help them. My scenario popped up in my 2006 LR3 after a rain revealed clogged sunroof drains and water got inside on the dash and floor. I tried everything I found on forums like battery resets, fuse pulling, button pushing and the like to no avail. Other symptoms I saw were on a cold power up the radio would play for a half second then go into Phone Mode. Also, if I turned the volume **** all the way up I could very faintly hear the radio. One thing that struck me as odd in all of it was the fact that I had no phone capability as part of my installation.

In reading on the subject I found a few interesting things. Primarily was the fact that we have a fiber optic (MOST) system connecting not only the radio and amp but any installed modules and nav, as well as it was all seemingly centered in the radio head unit. Then I found that the phone capability was a separate module, which again I didn't have.
All of that, especially my not having the phone module installed got me thinking that the head unit got oddly stuck by the water into a waiting for response state for a module that simply could never respond because it wasn't there. The trick was just how to get the head unit to stop looking for a response from that unit.
Hoping the fiber optic network was a bus network or one that at the very least prioritized something before the phone module here's what I did and it worked...

Key in Off position. Pulled center dash cover, unscrewed radio, and slid it out. Disconnected the fiber optic/MOST connector only. Turned key to the On position.

It worked! The system looks to have prioritized not seeing any network on the fiber optics at all and went searching for anything seemingly kicking it out off the search for the Phone Module. There was no sound on that first Power On as the MOST network feeds the signal to the amp but on powering off, replugging the MOST connector, and power back on all was well. It's been up and running no issues ever since.

Cheers--

This was exactly the same symptoms I had, I followed the steps and my radio is now back! I am not counting my chickens yet, I will see if it stays fixed!

Post #134902628th Sep 2014 9:42 am
piecost76

United Kingdom 

Great to know for when mine goes again Thumbs Up

Pixies are still doing their job at the moment though Laughing

Defender 110 XS 

Post #134926628th Sep 2014 6:30 pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Good work Thumbs Up

Post #134927328th Sep 2014 6:38 pm
piecost76

United Kingdom 

Thank you kona this has saved my bacon! Bow down

Pixies had gone on strike today & this worked a treat!

Many thanks Thumbs Up

Defender 110 XS 

Post #134974329th Sep 2014 4:56 pm
kona_221

Hi Piecost76, glad it worked for you too!

My radio is still working, so looking good at the moment as a quick fix for this problem!

Post #13516322nd Oct 2014 6:39 pm
kona_221

Hum, swmbo told me this morning the radio is back in phone mode again. Doesn't remember if she pressed any buttons on radio. Just started car and it went to phone mode.

I noticed the radio clock was zero'd to about the time she said it happened yesterday. Quick fiddle with the MOST cable as before and it is back.

Thinking if battery is up to the job, long journey last weekend but only short during the week. Might not be charging up enough? Plus colder temperatures. However, no other error messages on start. I.e. special programmes etc.

Post #138889413th Dec 2014 12:35 pm
dlw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Help!!

I have this problem, it started a few days ago and only had chance to have a real look today.

I stripped the radio when I saw that there was a posiblity that some water had gotten into it, un-soldered the plug on the main board as I could see debris under the plastic around pin 10 which according to previous posts mentioned that this was used for aftermarket handsfree. I have put everything back together but I still have the same problem, I tried the unplugging of the fibre cable and when I did the radio was back to normal after pressing the phone button and then the radio saying 'Phone Not Fitted' (which is correct)as soon as I reconnected the fibre cable and it goes straight back into phone mode.

I have also tried doing a ecu reset which did nothing except when I put the battery back on the radio light up and there was the landrover symbol on the nav screen.

Post #14007824th Jan 2015 5:23 pm
dlw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Update:

Magic pixies must have worked through the night and this morning the radio was working, I saw it drop to phone mode for 2 seconds during my commute this morning but so far so good.

Post #14011885th Jan 2015 11:27 am
Disco3Uganda

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Stuck in Phone Mode

Hi All, has anyone actually managed to fix this problem. Mine is stuck in phone mode again. This has happened every time I have had the D3 in the mechanics workshop. Last couple of times it came back on working after a couple of days but this has been a week now and it hasn't come back on.
Any ideas?

Post #146402826th Apr 2015 8:10 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >