DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Tyre Pressures ARE Important
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Tyre Pressures ARE Important

When the rental companies hand over the keys surely they could mention tyre pressures? Pure determination shown by the driver thankfully with a successful outcome. Also, keep an eye out for the white D3 at about 8:30. Maybe one of our members holidaying at Fraser Island?
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #1538062nd May 2007 2:23 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Oh what a feeling Laughing

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #1538072nd May 2007 3:21 am
TrackMuncher

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

I've been meaning to post some details and piccies about my recent trip to Fraser but haven't got 'round to it yet. And no it's not me, my disco is red rather than white.

Upon arriving at Indian Head I watched a Troopy make several attempts without luck similar to the video. This didn't help my confidence, but with a quick cross check (raise suspension, engage low range, turn off dsc, assure wife that we can do it....) we tearred up the beach and got off over the dune with 25 psi in the tyres and plenty of momentum. The downside of that was that I kept going at that speed over the crest and landed heavily in a dip which partially pulled off the plastic cover below the grill that covers the tow point. I was just too worried about slowing down. I need to get a replacment plastic screw/retainer nut thingo to put it back on, however, don't even notice now that the cover has been removed.

On the next beach we came across Middle Rocks and a tour bus bogged down near the water line. He had obviously done down low on the beach to get a run up and it was too soft. I'll post some piccies soon. I ran an errand for the driver to raise some help from another bus which subsequently pulled him out.

Now, having succeeded at the "notorious" Indian Head I didn't hesitate and went straight up the beach and promptly got bogged unable to reverse. However, after lowering my tyres to 20 psi I reversed out and on my second attempt made it off the beach.

That was about as exciting as it got for us. I wish that the wife had shot some video of us getting stuck. My kids in the aircon'd back seat listening to an audio book didn't even know we were stuck.

--
Scott

Post #1538082nd May 2007 5:14 am
captain_sugar

Czech Republic 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Scotia GreyDiscovery 4

TrackMuncher wrote:
I need to get a replacment plastic screw/retainer nut thingo to put it back on, however, don't even notice now that the cover has been removed.

Exactly,
I am driving without the plastic cover. Iguess, same as many of the site members.
The top class of members have aluminium plates fitted instead of the plastic...

Post #1539002nd May 2007 2:31 pm
catweasel

I'm pretty sure at 5mins there was a silver D3 in the background.
It's a pity the two smart arses behind the camera didn't offer some advice instead of watching some one struggle . pair of t Censored ts. and also the driver should be aware of what's required prior to going offroad.
couple of German tourist died a couple of years ago due to getting stuck in sand, when they recovered the vehicle they let down the tyres and reversed out. tragic.

Post #1539042nd May 2007 2:45 pm
garryc

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
plastic guard

That plastic guard under the front of the bumper is one of the few things wrong with the Disco3. I took mine off once into the Simpson desert crossing after reading in a 4wd mag. that they lost theirs doing the same. I still did some minor damage to the underside of the bumper and also lost one of the plastic nut thingos. I have also put some stiff wire mesh behind upper and lower grill and bumper to stop stone damage and insects. As for tyre pressures you need lower ones for sand, say 20psi, and somewhat lower than normal for rocky roads,say 30-35psi. I had a friend do 4 tyres on that road because he was running over 40psi.
 2013 D4, E-diff, Vision pack

Never propose to a Yak 

Post #15656012th May 2007 3:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
300+

I rented a LC100 to go to Fraser a few years ago with 750 tyres. The hire company - Aust 4wd hire or something, a very large company - told me that the road pressures were some very high number and the offroad was about 35. I suggested that I may get them a little lower on Fraser. They basically said that if I needed to do so to get out then do it, but if I drove further than required at lower pressures there would be insurance problems.

I doubt that their insurance company would yank cover for low pressures, but they were very adamant in the briefing and the written instructions that pressures were to be kept high.

I think it is because it is easier to recover from being bogged than it is from a high speed rollover when the tyre pops a bead.

So any tourist who follows instructions will look just like these ones.

Steve

Post #15656312th May 2007 5:41 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

This has brought back some great memories. Back in '99, the 'view behind the camera' at Indian Head was something like this:

All you had to do for help, apparently, was show them your tits. I showed them mine, but they weren't impressed Laughing

Post #15656412th May 2007 7:07 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

On gravel roads I used to drop pressures to around 26psi (70 series tyres in my D2). With the D3 and the 60 series tyres I suspect that pressures need to even lower to avoid "starbursting" the tyres when going over larger rocks. I still have not worked out the pressure / speed relationship for 60 series tyres. On gravel outback roads (with the occasional large rock) most tyres are "starburst". The tyres need to flex when going over a rock at say 100kmh. I admit I learnt the hard way.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #15677413th May 2007 4:31 am
White Disco

Australia 

Not only outback roads. I found out the hard way on forest roads around <100 km from Melbourne. Shocked
2 starburst tyres in 33 min. Shocked Embarassed On BF Goodrich AT's. (4 weeks old). Mate that bought other tyre to the rescue suggested reduction of tyre pressure.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #15698713th May 2007 11:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baggy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

So what would be the best tyre pressure on gravel/forest roads?
 '11 TDV6 - Stornoway Grey.... still lovin' it!!

REDUCE GREENHOUSE GASSES.......Eat more BEEF!!
Addendum: Red wine goes REALLY well with BEEF 

Post #15706314th May 2007 11:27 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I would recon about 30-32psi? for the wranglers. ant lowe I found a tendency to walow a bit. I guess it a ballance between handling and tyre protection.
I kept stuffing mine on sharp forest roads the frequency increased as they got worn and hard. Eventually a starburst fracture wrecked one and was irreparable.
I now have Cooper HT+ on and will experient to see what is beat.
Anyone have experience with these tyres?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #15707314th May 2007 12:08 pm
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

At 30-32 psi the tyres are still quite hard. The contact area with the road does not lengthen to any degree.
They need to flex, it is a trade off between load, speed, handling and tyre life. Where I travel the roads are quite straight and therefore you can lower pressures and still keep your speed up.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #15790916th May 2007 11:55 am
yawlboy

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Having never driven on sand before I went to Fraser with the family two years ago. Rented a Nissan Patrol in Brisbane and drove up. on the ferry the guys said to drop the tyre pressure to 15 PSI for the whole time on the island. Did so and not a problem - not once did we feel like we would get stuck. What a wonderful place - need to go back there.
 1993 Defender 110 300tdi - many mods  
Post #15800216th May 2007 5:16 pm
SKP

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

CaverD3. I also have Cooper HT+. I have only done 4 000kms (mainly City) so far. (replaced the Wranglers, worn thru to canvas, inside rear by 30 000kms) Shocked My Cooper guy insists on my running the HT+ at 40psi all round. I think that this is a bit hard, so I run them at 40/36.
I am about to head up the Tanami Track to The Kimberley, to do the Gibb River Road. Very Happy I will drop them to 36/30 on the dirt.
I am taking the two best Wrangler carcases on the roofrack as insurance. The spare is an un-used Wrangler.

Post #15812216th May 2007 10:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >