Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

My new to me tdv6 s manual or should have got an auto ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Matt Briggs

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
My new to me tdv6 s manual or should have got an auto ?

Having owned a fair few vehicles to date including single cab hilux ,vw t4 ,zafira the list goes on I thought I would join the elite and with a bit of money moving finally decided on this one 108,0000 miles 54 plate . I had to have a towbar fitted due to the kids ponies and since then we decided to invest in a caravan as the pictures show. Now having towed the caravan for some distance this weekend I wish I had plumped for an auto for ease of towing or am I wrong . Can anyone share there thoughts, am I right in thinking autos are better for towing and should i now be looking to to sell up and buy an auto. I could really do with some experienced advice. Cheers great forum by the way I've already done the aux wire retrofit
thanks to a how to I found on here .
[
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #14824042nd Jun 2015 10:17 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Welcome Matt, I don't use my auto for towing, so can't comment on that, but obviously forever stirring that gearstick must be a chore for those with a manual box.Not really a reason to sell up though.. Those that maneouvre caravans slowly, ie parking it on site or whatever, will probably suggest using Low Range, as using first gear in High for this type of work puts a lot of strain on the clutch.

Last edited by DN on 2nd Jun 2015 10:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14824082nd Jun 2015 10:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I tow with an auto, and it is good. However I also tow with a Defender and find it's just as good. The only thing is when manoeuvring slowly, low range is much better. Using the anti-stall also makes it easier on the clutch. I presume the D3 manual has anti-stall like a TD5 Defender?

Post #14824122nd Jun 2015 10:32 pm
Matt Briggs

Thanks for replies. my thoughts exactly alot of strain on the clutch and dmf. Not so with an auto. The disco towed good but those hill starts seemed to push it abit. As for anti stall I couldn't say I didn't get a manual(book) with it.

Post #14824222nd Jun 2015 10:50 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Well this is my D3 manual and I am at present on Holliday in Europe we have driven down to the south of France and are now in Brugge since leaving home we have covered 2000mls at a average of 22.5 mpg going through the midi Pyrenees and we some blowy wind , she as covered 142000 mls to date but the awnser to your question is personal choice I prefer a manual and have kept this car longer then I planned to due to this choice but temptation for a D 4 will men a auto

Post #14824332nd Jun 2015 10:57 pm
Matt Briggs

Hi Stephen hope your having a good time
away we too are looking at holidaying in France or Spain next year with the caravan. Have you had any clutch trouble in the past I know they are wearing parts but I mean sooner than you would of expected .I have just had a new clutch fitted to be on the safe side.thanks

Post #14824422nd Jun 2015 11:09 pm
stephenw46

Members on here have covered many miles with no issues, but like you will read on here when starting off on any big climb use low range to get going and all will be fine we are off to Italy August and will be going through Switzerland for the sixth time in this car so enjoy her Thumbs Up

Post #14825273rd Jun 2015 8:54 am
Matt Briggs

OK cheers and safe travels

Post #14825283rd Jun 2015 8:56 am
SouthernWombat

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have a 59 manual and also tow a caravan on occasion. I have 3 items to feedback on it:

1. Regular adjustment of EPB including immediately after any off roading. Really annoying as brake locks on and has to be released manually and then adjusted when I get home. Planning to completely rebuild when pads/shoes next due.

2. When towing the car has simply died, when pulled up it recovers and on we go. I have tried several fixes so far but difficult to identify when it self cures when you pull over.

3. Take care not to slip the clutch if pulling away in 2nd. It puts the xyz switch out of line? It is a simple fix to re-set from the driving seat.

Not sure if all due to this been a manual, 1 & 3 are a bit of a pain and 2 gives me stress every time I overtake. Apart from these it is by far the best car I have ever owned and have a nanocom which can be used to release the EBP when it is screeching.

Post #14825443rd Jun 2015 9:29 am
Matt Briggs

Hello southern wombat sorry for my ignorance what is epb and how would I know if xyz switch is out of line. I think I have alot to learn about these discos. Cheers matt

Post #14825513rd Jun 2015 9:40 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I found generally that 1st gear was too high on the manual . Towing my heavy trailer I needed to use low range for hill starts. This is OK but to move into high you have to put gear lever into neutral, range change then back into gear, rather than just dip the clutch.

Post #14825523rd Jun 2015 9:42 am
stephenw46

Well I'll just through this one in I only have the Hawkeye diagnosis read & clear , I've not had the brake issue but I've had the loss of power air mass flow metre changed it Thumbs Up Then there was the egr valves on my euro four engine but they are now blanked Thumbs Up Then there was the sticking turbo actuator freed off Thumbs Up I've also put silicon inter cooler hoses on her, but only ever had her cut out on me once when under warranty and that was a faulty EGR

Post #14825553rd Jun 2015 9:47 am
markthegad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think when buying a car that old condition must come before gearbox, mine is a 05 and I also tow a caravan, maybe your clutch is on its way out(mine went last year), but the best advice I would give would be to get it mapped, you don't need to use the gears as much so you are not streaming it to catch the next gear on the hills Thumbs Up

Post #14825563rd Jun 2015 9:48 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Matt Briggs wrote:
Hello southern wombat sorry for my ignorance what is epb and how would I know if xyz switch is out of line. I think I have alot to learn about these discos. Cheers matt

EPB = Electronic Park Brake (fancy handbrake) keep it adjusted and its usually fine (see Bodsys Brake Bible for guidance - its the same for autos)

XY calibration - it shows on dash what gear you are in, if it goes out it won't, but may give you other faults, reverse sensors, reverse lights etc

I have a manual and have towed caravans and small trailers over 4 yrs without any problem, cruises in 5th gear around the 2K rev mark and its good Very Happy
BUT if I were buying again (I am - D4 on order Whistle ) I would go for an auto and get a decent remap Thumbs Up

The D3/4 in any guise must be one of the best tow cars on the road, yes they have problems (as do many competitors - search the web) and aren't very economical but when you weigh it up there's only one winner for me! 8)

Post #14825613rd Jun 2015 9:57 am
Matt Briggs

I think I will get a remap done I'm in cheshire any recommendations in this area and a rough idea on price and what I should be asking for or are remaps all the same. 🍻

Post #14825663rd Jun 2015 10:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >