Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Worrying interest in my D3 :(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
disco3wannabe

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Worrying interest in my D3 :(

Yesterday around 2pm I noticed a car with blacked out windows pulling up outside the house and a bloke jumped out before car stopped moving so I went outside to take a look.

Bloke was talking to neighbour's builder who shook his head and looked over at me, something smelt wrong so I took a photo of the car number plate with phone. As the chap walked back to the car I asked if I could help he said, in an Irish accent 'no, just selling power tools' I said I thought the builder pointed over here he replied 'no, just looking for builders as I've power tools to sell' and got in passenger side, drove off.

I then asked builder what he had wanted builder replied he asked who owned this Discovery (pointing at mine which was parked outside neighbour's house) and asked a few times who's it might be then asked if he wanted to buy a generator.

Reported to 101 who looked up car and based on the reg and the scenario have passed through to intelligence teams. Told m to be extra vigilant over car in the coming few days.

Hands off, I might be selling her shortly but she won't be going without a fight and that's if I sell her!! Evil or Very Mad

Post #137257913th Nov 2014 7:51 am
Farsco

Isle Of Man 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Super lock the car and park another in front of it if you have the option.

If they saw you get the reg and you spoke to them (seen their face) then can't see they would risk it Thumbs Up

Don't suppose a friend has a rottie that likes to sleep in cars Rolling with laughter

Post #137258013th Nov 2014 7:59 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

A paddy came to my unit not long ago and tried selling a generator , his eyes weren't looking at me , just all my tools on the racking Censored d , he had 6 large diesel generators in the back of his land cruiser , there must be a big generator factory over there with no lock on the doors coz there down ere every month or so Evil or Very Mad Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #137258113th Nov 2014 8:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
woody32
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

I hope your not thinking of selling her because of this incident,don't let people like that intimidate you it might be nothing to worry about Thumbs Up
 Wanted D4s non runners pm for competitive price.
IID Pro MV License - D3/4 RRS - Enabling, Updates,Transmission flushing.
Mobile or workshop,PM for details.

Post #137258313th Nov 2014 8:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jimski

United Kingdom 

Without going overboard, is there somewhere else you could park it? Friends/family etc etc. Might inconvenience you for a few days, but might also save unwelcome visitors.

Post #137258413th Nov 2014 8:08 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Get yourself a security camera to record your car and front door. You could also fit a tracker so if they do break in and take the keys at least you can let the police know where its is. It might also be worth seeing if any neighbours have CCTV of their visit.

We have a lot of problems with pikeys coming from Swindon and stealing stuff off site or trying to flog stolen gear. We convert barns so most of our sites are remote. Its amazing what they will steal and recently dump. We had a lot of asbestos and tyres dumped at one of our sites which cost us thousands to get rid of. Twisted Evil

The sooner people realise that pikeys are mobile criminal gangs and not a persecuted minority the better. This is one group of individuals that should have their freedom of movement restricted across Europe.

Post #137259013th Nov 2014 8:21 am
disco3wannabe

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

No, she's going to free up some cash for a development project and its an extremely reluctant sale of the best car I've ever had.

We do have a spaniel and if I wasn't so fond of him I'd put him in the car to guard as he's quite vocal but that would be worse than losing the car, just Thumbs Up

The plan is to park the FL2 up to the D3 one end and we've a trailer full of tip run offcuts etc to park at the rear and rely on the dog making a fuss from within the house. We live very rurally so no passing traffic and no pedestrians after dark and he is vocal when the odd neighbour walks up the lane at night (normally the farmer checking on a cow!)

Post #137259413th Nov 2014 8:26 am
Farsco

Isle Of Man 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I would loan you my husky as he scares everyone......truth is he would just lick you to death.

Sounds like you have a plan. Crims want an easy life so that will put them off. On thinking more about it, someone intent on stealing your car probably wouldn't go asking the people next door. I wouldn't lose any sleep Thumbs Up

Post #137259613th Nov 2014 8:34 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 

I'd put up a clearly visible CCTV camera with a nice big warning sign. (not a legal requirement despite what people may tell you). Make sure you alter your alarm so that it uses the horn not the piddly sounder that is fitted. (details in the WIKI- very easy to do).

Following a few drive byes on my street by older transit vans and pick ups where the occupants stared at everyone houses and cars, I installed one of these in an upstairs window.

http://foscamuk.co.uk/foscam-fi9831w.html

Although its an internal camera, it has a setting so that you can point it out a window. I can set it to email me if anyone walks up my drive, I can live view from my Iphone anytime, and remotely move the camera to pan around or watch anyone. A memory card can be put into it and to record all activations. The picture quality is excellent, even in low light. (You need WI FI by the way).

Setting up the remote access and configuring the settings was done remotely by the company for free, simples. (The free set up is only availabe through the UKdealers site, if you buy through the companys site they charge you for support, the above link is for the dealers website.)
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #137260213th Nov 2014 8:58 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I was parked in a layby once and a paddy stopped to try and sell me tools , I think they think you've got a few £££££ ,and you might bye something Thumbs Up just keep it lock up Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #137260913th Nov 2014 9:19 am
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

They see anything and everything as temporarily yours and ownership rights are only for those holding the keys - if they can, they will and it doesn't hurt to give it a go as with no fixed abode and about 5 different surnames they can easily disappear with the Police being far too scared to turn up at their site.

I'd say these guys are unlikely to bother now they attracted so much attention but to be safe ensure you have a bat by the door and an early alert system (PIR light and alarm)

Look up and buy an alarm mine and set it across you drive - just remember to remove the trip in the morning!!!
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #137262613th Nov 2014 10:06 am
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

If they are after your car these types are not smart enough start it without your keys. Id be considering very carefully where your keeping them in the house over the next few days they are gonna need them if they want that disco.
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #137279013th Nov 2014 2:07 pm
highbayrack

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto LuxorDiscovery 4

My kids reported earlier this year seeing one sitting in his car taking pictures on a mobile just after I got home from work, he'd had the nerve to drive right into a large paved square we have at the front of the house. When I went out and challenged him he said he was not taking pictures at all, but he had 4 mobile phones on the passenger seat.

His excuse was that he was going to ask if we needed any block work or tarmac doing but he wouldn't get out of the car because he saw the sign that we have for 2 Big dogs. I took a photo of his reg and told him to Censored off

I thought this guy was taking pictures of our two Landrover, but when the rural Police man turned up he said- No, we know this guy and what they do is take photos of your caravan on your drive, then post the pictures on Gumtree Shocked If they get any serious interest to the add they then come back and nick the caravan Rolling Eyes
 On a mission to find the perfect Pork Pie. Just Found it (I think)..(Yes I have)
Official product sponsor for "Bloodhound SSC" 1000+ mph world land speed record 

Post #137280713th Nov 2014 2:32 pm
Gazellio

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

We get far to many Pad-Kies trawlng in the area... Twisted Evil

Post #137282013th Nov 2014 2:48 pm
theanswers

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I'm from Ireland.

Just a quick word of advice; I'm not 100% sure, however it's 99.9% likely they are irish travellers. They do the exact same here. They are looking around for something to steal (Disco) or alternative items.

They may not come back because they were seen - however be cautious.

Post #137924625th Nov 2014 11:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >