England 

This is truly shocking Shocked

Something is not fit for purpose - either its the wheels or the tyres

I think I will be very very careful buying s/h wheels & tyres
 Previously those that have a special place in my heart
BV55YZD G4 RRS
BP52GJE G4 110 

Post #13836224th Dec 2014 8:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Is this only an issue with GGAT's or have we seen it on other off-road tyres such as MTR's and Duratracs?
I understand the theory of the muddy paste between the rim and sidewall and generally the lower pressure these tyres run at causing the issue but that wear is horrific... Is the suggestion just the construction of GG's or the pressure these types of tyres run at?

Post #13836234th Dec 2014 8:53 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

pjb wrote:
This is truly shocking Shocked

Something is not fit for purpose - either its the wheels or the tyres

I think I will be very very careful buying s/h wheels & tyres

Been caught out before with D4 wheels. Luckily got my money back

It's not only GG ATs that cause it. Seen it happen on a set of 17s, that had 110k on it, and had never been off road...
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #13836314th Dec 2014 9:20 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Ok,I'm going to qualify this very carefully......
The LR technician that I took out on the road to try and identify the drone coming from the front of my car told me the noise was due to the tyres I was running (GGAT's on 19)
He went on to further warn me of the issue that is highlighted here,as they had seen it on a couple of occasions with the tyres I had on,and to keep an eye out for wheel wear...I would like to stress he didn't expand on whether they had seen it in other tyre/wheel combos,he said he was just pointing it out to me as I was running the GGAT's
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #13836334th Dec 2014 9:24 am
Jakeboy

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

See the pics at the end of the post below. Not as bad as the pics from DM but this was from standard Zero's.
Fitted.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic109113.html

All 4 wheels the same but I got new ATR's fitted and I'm keeping an eye on them. So far so good Shocked

Post #13836474th Dec 2014 9:58 am
hc76

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I'm not getting very with either Land Rover or General on this - they are both blaming eachother. It would be very interesting to know if anyone has had a similar problem with other makes of tyres on Land Rover wheels.

In the meantime I had to get something sorted so I bought a set of "less than 100 mile" wheels off ebay which certainly look as new and were delivered very quickly. I have put a new set of Goodyear Duratrac on these and they certainly look the part.

These are the before and after photos:

These are the photos of the old rims. It's difficult to accurately show the wear but they are very thin! This is only 1 of the rims but all 4 are very similar:

2016 D4 Landmark - Waitomo/Ebony
2012 D4 HSE - Orkney/Almond - gone
2009 D4 XS - Buckingham/Ebony - gone 

Post #13857238th Dec 2014 5:33 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

hc76 wrote:

Shocked That is the style of wheel that I have fitted and have been using them for approx 45000 miles with GG AT's fitted all that time, I think I may be having a close look tomorrow when it's light to see if there is any wear on my rims as I do a lot of off roading Sad
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #13857298th Dec 2014 5:48 pm
remould

This had been a problem since Disco 2 days . We had a Disco 2 on 16 inch wheels with no problems , It only ever had Michelins fitted to it , Another disco 2 with 18 inch wheels had severe rim wear . It was on Goodyears for a start then moved it on to GGAT`s . It was a towing car and wear was worse on the back wheels , We blamed running the tyres too soft and letting grit in there . Moved it back to 16 inch wheels and problem gone .
Current ddisco 3 has 18 inch and GGAT`s and slight wear but keep the tyres fairly hard

Post #13858318th Dec 2014 9:02 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Well I've had a look in the daylight at my 4 wheels and they appear to be OK but my mobile tyre fitting guy is going to call around sometime this week to take the wheels off and break the bead on the tyres for a better look. He did fit 2 new tyres to the wheels at the start of September and he says they were OK then but is going to have another look just to put my mind at rest Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #13861409th Dec 2014 1:48 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

I would guess t a tyre issue. Reason for this is that several different wheel designs are suffering the same issue. The wheels all come from different moulds and possibly different suppliers so the chance of all them making the wrong size wheel is low. On the other side there appears to be a large number of tyres specifically the same make and style involved all coming from the same supplier so all having same size and spec. Common denominator is the same tyre not the different wheels, just my take on it.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #13861669th Dec 2014 2:11 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

GG AT's on D4 wheels. Found my pictures. 1st is what the rim should look like...

2 wheels were in this condition Shocked
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #13861689th Dec 2014 2:17 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I'm curious as to what material LR are making the rims out of. It is obviously to soft. In most of the pictures I've seen, there are visible washboard type markings. These I would suggest are impressions of the inner tyre belts, literally being embossed into the rim. This can't be considered a tyre problem, surely. It's a blowout waiting to happen really.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #138674710th Dec 2014 11:35 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Has this been seen with any tyres other than GG ATs? If not what's different between ATs and all the other tyres? Question

Post #138676310th Dec 2014 12:01 pm
pjb

England 

As with the removeable tow balls I'm sure Land Rover will fob it off by adding another addendum to the manuals advising wheels are now made of plastic so premature wear will occur if used - Hopefully our litigious friends over the pond will take it up as a potential class lawsuits seem to spur Land Rover into action Whistle
 Previously those that have a special place in my heart
BV55YZD G4 RRS
BP52GJE G4 110 

Post #138676610th Dec 2014 12:17 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Maybe it's a combination of factors with the D3/ D4 that are highlighting a weakness in the wheel material.
I've been working on all manor of vehicles over the years, on everything from HGV's, car's, vans and heavy agricultural equipment and never seen wheel rim wear like it. To be fair, most working vehicles have steel wheels so may not be so delicate as the LR alloy. Where the tyres run on the rim the metal is cleaned of paint but not more than surface polishing really.
This Discovery wheel wear on the inner edges only is something very peculiar and potentially very dangerous indeed.
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #138682610th Dec 2014 1:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >