Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

Are there...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
OllyMidd

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Are there...

Really common faults found with a 2005 HSE D3. I appreciate every car has it's faults and issues but I have been scouring through this VERY informative forum but some do make me worry.

Such as-
The casting that the tensioner bolts too breaking releasing the tension on the belt. I hear this is most common on the 2007 model. Is this something I should be worried about?

The EPB failing. Is this something that goes on every year of D3?

Anything else I need to be weary of and should have checked over by someone that knows what they're doing?

Thanks in advance! Smile

Post #13854617th Dec 2014 11:24 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Your best option is not to read every thread until you absolutely have to because of a fault or problem. Wink

Otherwise you'll do exactly what you've done.......................scare yourself half witless!!!!

Drive it, enjoy it. When it has an issue, read up and resolve it and in the mean time post any mods you add to hopefully help others in the future. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #13855158th Dec 2014 8:07 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The 'worried well' stage of forum membership lasts a few months. Always remember to note how long the forum member has been a D3 / D4 owner and remind yourself that if they really were problematic vehicles they would not have so many long-term and serial owners.

The vehicle does not have an expensive Achilles Heal. The oil pump on the 07 and 08 you mention is arguably the most worrisome as the repercussions are expensive and yet preventable. The other 'own goal' is the ZF6 gearbox, not because of a problem with the box but because LR told owners not to conduct normal oil changes on it. The results of this have been expensive and totally avoidable.

Stuff like the EPB is a service item. Keep it serviced and never let it squeal and it will provide years and years of life. Ignorance is the main killer of the EPB.

All vehicles have issues but D3s and D4s are capable of extreme service and dizzying milage. They are easy to work on and parts are in good supply. What is not to like?

Mr. Green
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #13855188th Dec 2014 8:23 am
Jamest

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I fully agree with the above. I also read about all the problems before buying mine. At one point I nearly decided to hang on to my D2.
Since buying it there have been a few issues, but by reading up on this excellent forum it's been possible to fix things without paying out too much money. For example, after the suspension warnings popped up saying standard height only I managed to get it sorted by simply fitting a new drier on the compressor myself - saving many pounds!
Regards
James

Post #13855428th Dec 2014 9:16 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Little bit like reading a medical encyclopaedia, you think you have got every ailment in it Laughing as for the EPB, IMO it is one of the best devices on the D3 and if maintained and adjusted as any park brake should be it is trouble free.
I see you have a MY05 manual D3, this removes some of the ailments you mention.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #13855508th Dec 2014 9:37 am
amazing

China 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

Mark Twain

updated amendments

health books.....forums
die...breakdown
 It is better to have and not need it then need and not have it.  
Post #13855528th Dec 2014 9:48 am
OllyMidd

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for your advice guys. Nothing like a bit of reassurance! Smile

Post #138719210th Dec 2014 11:21 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

To be honest I have never had so much go wrong with any other car, never spent so much time fixing any other car and never spent so much money on any other car Big Cry Big Cry

That is all explained by the fact that I have never kept any other car for so long........you have to ask yourself why Very Happy Very Happy

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #138723110th Dec 2014 11:54 pm
derryfrombury

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

OllyMid

Do exactly as Narpy say's. Drive it and enjoy it, you won't be disappointed. Nothing even comes close to the D3/4

Its the same with any forum, you only tend to hear the horror stories (although I must confess the D3/4 forum is a lot more positive than most).

good luck and enjoy

Derry
 Joined Aug 2014. Disco 3 SE 54plate, Buckingham Blue, Cream leather.
Defender 90 200Tdi (weekend toy)
TinTent - Coachman Pastiche 535/4
Supercharged Autobiography Grille
Tera-Firma black silicone intercooler/turbo hoses fitted Sep2014
Forum stickers, silver on rear, Orange in place of RFL disc 

Post #138723911th Dec 2014 12:01 am
NickJ

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I agree with Narpy 100%

Post #138728511th Dec 2014 7:31 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
OllyMid...

not competing with others above ....my views are:

the EPB: .....if its set up properly & used frequently it seems to be OK...I didnt have mine on auto on & didnt use it...it gave some issues which were costly to fix...so use it.

The ZF autobox: ....the maintenance schedule that LR gave & still have is the oil isnt swapped out...which in my humble opinion is incorrect..OK other vehicle makers & users of ZF boxes may get away with it..many Disco owners simply havent...
some have rescued thier 'boxes with an oil flush & use of additives....I wasnt that lucky...at almost 90k miles noise & harsh changes meant my 'box had to come out & be rebuilt.....far more expensive than a simple oil change at 40-50k...if yours hasnt been done dont wait for problems do some preventative actions....leaving what appears well wont be....new oil simple & low cost.
A huge mistake by LR...that has cosst Disco (maybe other LR vehicle) users very dear.....& probably lost them loyalty & future custom

The belt tensioner: ....isnt a maintenance preventable item its a manufacturing / design thing...your D3 is either prone or not prone or you are lucky

Ownership to me over 9 years from new has been rewarding...a brilliant tough go anywhere, tow whatever Do-All vehicle....used & enjoyed by the whole family. The Dependable Workhorse....I love mine.

Brakes:
have to be kept up to & dont be alarmed if its a set of front discs to set of pads
the original brake pipes corrode - mine were all swapped out for copper
......to me a design fault which makes the vehicle high maintenance in this area
If I drove my D£ all the time they would last longer as I use the autobox manual change down to slow the vehicle...(in comparison - my VW golf has pads & discs that go way beyond 60K)
Rear AC:
brilliant if you have it but the pipes joint o rings fail & you lose gas...fixable
..it either happens or it doesnt
Windscreen wash bottle:
fails & has to be replaced - not a simple task
another design or manufacturing issue - not prevented by maintenance or lack of it
Tailgate Handle:
evetually the switch inside gets moisture in it & either its stripped & cleaned before it faisl or you bolt on a new handle (15 min task)
Side Window Sill trim pieces "bubble":
low cost - quick change out cosmetic item...depends on vanity
Wheels corrosion:
happens on all vehciles to some extent & is probably accelerated by use of acid / alkaline cleaners that are fast but aggressive to metal....mine were chemicall stripped & powder coated after sharpmedges (where the corrosion starts) rounded off...again a vanity thing
Wheel Nuts:
these corrode & swell which means your wheel brace may not fit easily (just when you want it to)...simple to swap.....but a ridiculous thing to happen to a prestige vehicle..I also cary the socket that fits the fat nuts
Parking Sensors:
seem to go off & on (weather dependant) & some have had to swapped ot - + the rear wiring harness................inconvenient & a pain in the BUM..one of the toys that sometimes doent want to play..

would I buy another LR Disco ?
yes...providing the features I bought this one for are carried over to the new model & its hopefully a realistic price (as Discos were...but not right now)
why dont I buy a D4 ?....
to me not a move upwards & onwards.....more bling / more money / value engineered
...so may opt for the RR Sport...or a 2nd hand FFRR.......or the 4WD XF replacement
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #138730711th Dec 2014 8:46 am
johnnychainsaw

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The best car I've ever had. I normally get bored after a couple of years. Owned mine for 5 years now. The first couple of years were a bit expensive getting things replaced, gearbox flushed and 7yr service, but all worth it. Joining the forum was the second best move after getting the car Thumbs Up

Still looking good at just over 10 yrs old!

Post #138734811th Dec 2014 10:08 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 

I've had mine 3 and a half years. Its the longest I have ever owned a car.

Yes it has bitten me ion the Censored with repair costs, but I just can't bring myself to change it. I test drove a D4 a few weeks ago, but nah, the D3 does all I need.
 Man with no D3 anymore, but cant leave the forum....how sad.  
Post #138743911th Dec 2014 1:23 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Don't be put off reading all threads as finding things early can help hugely but it is very easy to scare yourself. Thumbs Up

They really are great cars to own.
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #138744911th Dec 2014 1:38 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I bought my D3 in June and for all the previous owner raved about his mechanic and the MOT was only 4 month old I haven't stopped doing repairs that were not (but supposedly) done. Don't know how it passed it's MOT as the rear lower wishbones were shot. But for all that it is a 10yr old and can't expect 'as new' in a car that age and you know......... I wouldn't change it.

Don't read the posts expecting to get all the faults you read about, but rather as I do, to see whats going on out there and maybe something someone else has come across helps you or if you have any experience you can add to help.

Post #138749811th Dec 2014 2:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >