DISCO 3 Today! Your thoughts Pls!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mini8334

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
DISCO 3 Today! Your thoughts Pls!

Laughing

Dear all,

I am not sure if I have made a good purchase but I have had to work from a reasonably tight budget and have read as much as I can to ensure I get a good deal! I would very much value your thoughts and recommendations on the below Vehicle

Being new ... If the link does not work...

Land Rover Discovery 2.7 Td V6 GS 5dr Auto FULL LEATHER.
Automatic
BLACK, FULL LEATHER. MANY EXTRAS. Upgrades - 19" Alloy wheels, FULL BLACK LEATHER, CHROME SIDE TUBES, Bluetooth Parrot, Chrome Mirror Covers, REAR PARK ASSIST, Colour Coded Wheel Arches, Next MOT due 16/03/2015, Last serviced on 07/09/2013 at 89,494 miles, Full service history, Excellent bodywork, Black Full leather interior - Excellent Condition, MOT Dec 2014 and New Cam Belt fitted on purchase.

I have requested that a new cam belt is fitted from reading posts. Was this the right thing to do?

How best to transport two dogs cleanly and tidily? Leaving enough room in the boot for a stroller? I shall invest in a rubber mat for the boot... Oh and it does not have a dog guard ... Does anyone have one near York/ Edinburgh?

Recommended Disco 3 care for a vehicle of this age/milage?

Recommended Sat Nav - Halfords? Or can I fit my Garmin Navi? I do not want cables flapping everywhere?

What is the best in car mobile phone device for Disco 3? It has an old looking device called Bluetooth Parrot! looks crap.

Anything advice would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by mini8334 on 1st Jul 2015 10:53 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #138873813th Dec 2014 9:06 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

2007 MY, lots of others on here are having the oil pump housing replaced at same time as timing belt due to casing failures (lots info on here about it) Car is 7 years old and is due the big (timing belt) service as you asked for. Maybe a local member could have a look for you re suspension and the other 'usual' suspects Thumbs Up

oops welcome and Merry Xmas to you too! Very Happy

Post #138874613th Dec 2014 9:19 am
mini8334

Thank you! Thats very helpful!

Is the "cam belt" the same as the 'timing belt"? I know this is very much a newbie question! I asked for the cam belt to be changed?

Post #138875213th Dec 2014 9:29 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

^^^^ What he said, get the oil pump changed when doing the belts to latest design. Thumbs Up

Post #138875313th Dec 2014 9:29 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Cam belt = timing belt Thumbs Up There is another non-critical belt at the rear of the engine, usually changed at the same time, it drives the HPFP but if it fails the engine just stops doesn't disintegrate. (that being said rear belt failure is not that common Confused )
Sat nav? again lots out there, some have aftermarket custom fits, have a search on here, no matter which you get it will almost certainly be better than the factory fit Confused

Enjoy your new Disco, they are great cars and don't be put off by all the things that 'could' go wrong, hopefully they won't and there are many on here who can give valuable advice if you have any questions Thumbs Up

Post #138876113th Dec 2014 9:38 am
drmcw

United Kingdom 

Parrot are decent aftermarket Bluetooth kits. Find the model number and do a search may put your mind at rest if you're worried about compatibility with your phone. Won't change the look though!

Post #138876813th Dec 2014 9:47 am
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've an 08GS. Do a search for D4 surround. Great mod to do with Garmin/TomTom. Cruise control another easy mod along with steering wheel radio buttons. You will need the CC activating though.

Merry Christmas and enjoy Thumbs Up

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #138877413th Dec 2014 9:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Welcome to the forum, for after market BT, have a look at:

http://www.my-io.com/products/io-play2-overview/ - I had it in one of my previous Mondeo's and it worked well.

For Sat Nav - any of the modern ones are fine, TomTom or Garmin both seem to get used a lot by professional drivers (unfortunately I have to sit in quite a few private hire cars...)
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #138877613th Dec 2014 10:00 am
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

See if you can get a service thrown in - low mileage for the last year, but its been 14 months since the last service.
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #138877913th Dec 2014 10:02 am
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Timing belt, serpentine belt and fuel pump belt, plus the oil pump "should" get done. Then will run for ever (or another seven years, whichever comes first).

There is an aftermarket sat-nav available from Kogan that fits exactly into the space and can be powered invisibly by drilling one small hole under the rubber mat to run a power wire to fuse box.

On a 2007 you may be lucky and have the fitment for a dedicated phone handset under the lid of the cubby box. This is far superior to any bluetooth yet devised as it uses an external antenna with amplifier instead on relying on the phone in your pocket getting a signal. Also works through the vehicle speaker system. The old style Nokia phone required is really cheap second-hand and will never be seen anyway. Just set your smartphone to divert to the other number if unanswered.

How big are the dogs? There is a divider and door that fits to the cargo barrier for just your situation.

Photos of some of these in my gallery. Welcome, and enjoy!
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #138881013th Dec 2014 11:03 am
Andy Foster

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Any link to the Kogan.

Cheers

Andy
 D4 MY15 SE TECH
D3 gone but never forgotten. 

Post #138882013th Dec 2014 11:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

If the vehicle has the upgraded hi-line head unit then the best phone system is easily the 'factory fit' D4 bluetooth module. It is also incredibly easy to fit but requires enabling with suitable kit. If your vehicle has the low-line audio then this is not a particularly viable option.

If you are based in York then you will have the great resource of Pete Bell on your doorstep and Prospeed too.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #138883213th Dec 2014 11:38 am
geoff.

England 

has Robbie says if your highline take a look here Thumbs Up

not the cheapest option but a nice clean fit

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic121497.html

Post #138883413th Dec 2014 11:40 am
therso

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

'How best to transport two dogs.............?' You've been to Sandhurst I assume. You're probably a Captain. Bloody hell if you haven't a clue at this stage I suggest you ask your Bty/Coy/Sqn Sergeant Major, I'm confident he/she will put you straight!! Whistle

And here's some more free advice: enjoy your Disco, an excellent choice, and FFS DO NOT become a civvy again.......ever, if you can avoid it! Laughing

Your friendly, cuddly, former RSM (and LE Rodney) Thumbs Up

Post #138891113th Dec 2014 2:27 pm
mini8334

Thank you RSO!

Post #138935614th Dec 2014 12:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >