DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

HELP !!! MAJOR SUSPENSION FAULT !!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
GSanderson

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
HELP !!! MAJOR SUSPENSION FAULT !!!!

Hi Everyone,

Suddenly my 2005 hse discovery has shown a suspension fault, it started saying normal height only.

Then it lowered itself to access height, but it seems to be even lower and is rubbing so I don't want to drive it. I've checked online which lead me to the fuses.

I've checked all of them out and found a 60A fuse under the bonnet had blown, I've replaced the fuse and still have the suspension fault. I even tried the hard reset which is no difference.

What could make a 60A fuse blow ??? The relays are working fine.

I've had a guy out with diagnostic gear which showed there's no power to the compressor ???? Even tho all fuses are fine. But that's a far as he can go with regards to the work needed.

The problem is I've currently holidaying in aviemore and I'm 8 hours from home with a 26ft twin axel caravan, is there anyone on the forum who can help me or know a garage I can get the work done at.

Not only that but my MOT runs out on the 30th so could do with getting that sorted also. Nothing like it all happening at once ehh ha

Anyway guys and girls all help will be greatly appreciated x

Post #158315626th Dec 2015 3:40 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Wiring fault inside the NSF wheel arch would be my guess but could also be an internal electrical fault with the compressor itself.

Ideally, you need to get your fault codes read and go from there. I suspect the General Electrical Failure/Short to Ground one will be present.

I fear there may be other problems though if you say it is rubbing. Rolling Eyes

Your compressor has done well if it's lasted this long from new. Thumbs Up

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #158315926th Dec 2015 3:49 pm
GSanderson

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Steve,

It's had a new compressor last year around the same time, the rubbing is caused by slightly larger AT tyres but only rub very slightly.

Hopefully it will be an easy fix, can I get the the wiring or is it a bumper off job ?

Regards

George

Post #158316326th Dec 2015 4:00 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Take the NSF wheel arch liner out and you can see the wiring blocks down at the rear of the arch - there's three of them.

Have a good look there for broken / corroded wires - any broken ones you could probably just put a splice across for now as an emergency get you home.
 I see no ships........  
Post #158317326th Dec 2015 4:37 pm
eenomc

Scotland 

I'm in aviemore caravanning just now, have spare height sensors and nanocom if you want to check for faults. Give me a call if you need a hand. I'll pm my number.
Iain

Post #158320526th Dec 2015 6:03 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

No need to remove the bumper, George. Thumbs Up

Just remove the wheel arch liner if possible and do what SpiderBaby suggests. Very common place for wiring to corrode and short out here.

eenomc, what a kind offer. Bow down The generosity and willingness of forum members to help out never ceases to amaze me. 8)

Steve
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #158327526th Dec 2015 8:43 pm
kevin-t

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

SpiderBaby wrote:
Take the NSF wheel arch liner out and you can see the wiring blocks down at the rear of the arch - there's three of them.

Have a good look there for broken / corroded wires - any broken ones you could probably just put a splice across for now as an emergency get you home.

Found this was my problem and resolve issue, a good few years ago.
Mine went whilst down Cornwall, St. Ives to be exact. Towed the caravan back on its bumpstops.
Very hard ride but no probs.

Thumbs Up

Post #158332826th Dec 2015 10:49 pm
eenomc

Scotland 

We had a look at the problem today, as mentioned by others one cable was corroded and detached in the loom under the wheel liner. Spliced this back together and reset the only suspension fault shown by the nanocom (air reservoir pressure increasing too slow). Started car expecting the compressor to kick back into life but nothing.

Swapped out relays with my car and still no luck.

Checked the compressor main power connection and 12v present but no sign of life from the compressor. Would this indicate a likely problem with the compressor?

As an aside, I'm really disappointed with the slow operation speed of the nanocom-its dreadfully slow following the last update.

Post #158357427th Dec 2015 6:43 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

Sorry for asking the obvious, but I presume you replaced the 60A fuse as well (assuming it had blown)?

Steve

Post #158363527th Dec 2015 8:49 pm
eenomc

Scotland 

Yes, thanks. Also checked it with the dmm to make sure of continuity.

Could be something simple but it is difficult working on a campsite with the temperature hovering around zero Very Happy

When checking compressor temperature it was around 20c, almost like there was current flow through it. Unfortunately the fuse in my dmm for measuring current is blown so couldn't check it out.

Post #158365127th Dec 2015 8:57 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

My only other suggestion at this point is to check the other two EAS fuses for continuity: F3 (5A) and F26 (20A).

Were there any other faults stored?

Steve

Post #158366727th Dec 2015 9:10 pm
eenomc

Scotland 

Ah, didn't check any other fuses- will text George and let him know.

Only suspension fault was pressure rising too slowly, although other faults such as seat, mirror and coil were persistent.

Thanks for the help, there was disappointment after fixing the broken wire in the wheel arch that nothing happened.

Iain

Post #158367027th Dec 2015 9:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >